Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Chiefs Off-season Needs

Default 2011 Chiefs Off-season Needs

Well. Now that the season is over. Lets start looking at the draft and free agency!

What are your top needs, and who do you want us to pick. It looks like we will be picking either at either 21, 22 or 23 (3 way tie between us Indy and the loser of the GB/Philly game, usu decided by a coin toss).

My top needs:

1. Elite FS
    - By far the biggest weakness on our team. Berry will make a great SS. He has the skills to cover zone and man, and is great at coming up against the run. Other than him, we are horrible at safety. It may be better to get someone from free agency. Berry could use some experience to mentor him. (supposedly Champ Bailey wants out of Denver and wants to play FS to prolong his career).

2. OG and/or OC prospect.
    -Our interior is getting old. Waters is still playing well, but is one injury away from retiring. Asamoah will likely be really good soon, but Weigmann is getting old, too. Id love to see our 3rd round pick used here.

3. #2 WR
    - This will open up our offense immensely. Bowe is constantly double teamed. If he is one-on-one, he will get open. If they double him, then Moeaki, the #2 guy, and the run game will open up. I say draft someone in the 2nd round.

4. OLB
    - Vrabel is getting old, isnt getting to the QB and is not the best cover man because he has lost a step. We need someone who is good in coverage, not just a rush guy. Our LBs couldnt keep up with the Ravens' TEs. This could probably be found in either the draft or in FA.

5. NT
    - We dont have a true NT. Our DL is good, but Edwards is old and doesnt have the strength to hold up to 2x teams. We need a big beast in the middle. Not sure if there are any great NTs in the draft, or FA.

6. Backup QB
    - I think we all agree that Brokie Croyle has lost most of his supporters. I say FA or a low round draft pick.

What are your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Three7s View Post
    WR is our absolute biggest need, followed by NT. After that, we should try to get a center and RT. I'm willing to give Studebaker more of a shot. He's still young, and though you say he's bad at rushing the passer, he's gotten to the QB as much as anyone else that isn't Hali. I'm willing to give him a shot.
    Maybe I should be clearer. We can get WR help or even a NT a whole lot easier than we can a legit pass rushing OLB who can also play the run. We're not going to get a legit starter for that position unless we draft one in the 1st round of the draft.

This is exactly what Herm/CP did. They thought that great player + bad player = average at position. It doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by 4everchiefsfan25 View Post
    Moeaki can block. I'm tired of drafting TE's we need to draft were there a wholes that need to be filled, not draft positions that we need back ups for
    Moeaki is not a very good blocker. Neither are O'Connell or Pope. I'm also tired of drafting TEs, but investing a 6th or 7th rounder in a Dunn-type TE would help us on an OL that got badly exposed in the last two games.

Quote Originally Posted by bwilliams View Post
    Maybe I should be clearer. We can get WR help or even a NT a whole lot easier than we can a legit pass rushing OLB who can also play the run. We're not going to get a legit starter for that position unless we draft one in the 1st round of the draft.

This is exactly what Herm/CP did. They thought that great player + bad player = average at position. It doesn't.
    Agreed this draft is deep in WR's and also the FA is deep in WR's I think OLB should be the first adressed.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    I don't think he's over-rated given where he's projected to go right about where the Chiefs are picking. As for his run blocking, he's not a total slouch by any means, there may be some room for improvement, but any O-Lineman can be coached up as far as run-blocking goes.

But the point is probably moot, they probably won't take him if he's there & persist with going with Albert at LT.
    Eh, it's easier to coach technique than it is to coach strength and nastiness.

If we picked Sherrod, I would like the pick. But I just think he's a better fit for a team like the Colts or Chargers, teams not heavily reliant on a run game, than he would be on ours. I think what we will (not should) do is invest a 2nd or 3rd rounder in a RT. Of course, I've been wrong every year for the last ten about that.

Moeaki is not a very good blocker. Neither are O'Connell or Pope. I'm also tired of drafting TEs, but investing a 6th or 7th rounder in a Dunn-type TE would help us on an OL that got badly exposed in the last two games.
    Tony Moeaki's Blocking Not Going Unnoticed Around The League - Arrowhead Pride I don't know how you figure Tony Moeaki isnt a good blocking TE

Quote Originally Posted by 4everchiefsfan25 View Post
    Tony Moeaki's Blocking Not Going Unnoticed Around The League - Arrowhead Pride I don't know how you figure Tony Moeaki isnt a good blocking TE
    Tony Moeaki is good at blocking WRs/LBs etc., much like Tony G. was. But Tony G. wasn't a great blocking TE. He was a receiving TE that blocked well (yes, I know it seems like I'm splitting hairs).

I'm talking about drafting basically a 6th lineman who can be used to max protect the QB if necessary. We don't have one of those on the roster.

Think about the difference between Jason Dunn and Tony G. We have a Tony G.-type in Moeaki. I want the Jason Dunn too. I admit it's a low priority, but it's what 6th and 7th round picks exist for.

Tony Moeaki is good at blocking WRs/LBs etc., much like Tony G. was. But Tony G. wasn't a great blocking TE. He was a receiving TE that blocked well (yes, I know it seems like I'm splitting hairs).

I'm talking about drafting basically a 6th lineman who can be used to max protect the QB if necessary. We don't have one of those on the roster.

Think about the difference between Jason Dunn and Tony G. We have a Tony G.-type in Moeaki. I want the Jason Dunn too. I admit it's a low priority, but it's what 6th and 7th round picks exist for.
    Brilliant, you have made a very valid point. Now that I think about it, Jason Dunn was an unsung, but very valuable part of that prolific Offense under Dick Vermeil. So, yes, what you are saying is true.

I agree. We do have Pope but he has not done much I think it's time we move on from him and see what eles we can get.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    I agree. We do have Pope but he has not done much I think it's time we move on from him and see what eles we can get.
    Actually, I'd keep Pope (his size makes him a perfect goal line TE) and cut the easily replaceable Jake O'Connell.

We can't do like we've always done and skimp on an important position. We have at least stopgaps at LT, RT, SS, etc. We have absolutely nothing across from Hali. And next season, teams will key in on Hali. We need to fix this problem, ASAP.
    As I said. We are pretty solid at pass rushing. It is far from our biggest need.

Agreed. I like Albert, but put him back at his natural position. I don't get why we're screwing around on this.

Look, I like Edwards. He was serviceable this year. But he was good against bad lines and decent against good ones. He isn't a great 3-4 NT and never will be. We need a legit 3-4 NT, not a guy who would be clearly happier at a 4-3 DT.
    I think Ron Edwards is happier with the 3-4. He certainly played a lot better.

And I think that you have vastly undervalued his play.

I want more than one. McCluster is a fine 4WR/3RB/2KR, but he isn't a legit WR. Let's get some real players in there.
    You have definitely made too quick a judgement here. How about a full season before deciding that he can't do the job?

No. He screwed up a lot in coverage and clearly struggled. He needs to go back to his natural position at FS.

Berry was a good pick. If not Okung, then him. But he is a natural FS playing out of position. Lewis is a good backup and special teams guy.

We need a real SS.
    He made some rookie mistakes. But he was a weapon against the pass and the run.

If you expected better of a rookie at SS, then you are just plain wrong to do so..

Let's splurge. Get Asomugha in FA. Come on. What is there to lose?

I like Carr. He's a decent CB. But we can and should upgrade him.
    I am with you....if we can do it late in the draft, or though the FA market.

Haley needs to swallow his pride. He needs an OC.
    I am not so sure that he is able to do that.

If he is going to have the same problem with another OC, then we may be better off not delaying the inevitable, and allowing him to do what he has probably already decided to do.

The fact that he would even mention that option in the press, to me, suggests that he will, in fact, be calling the plays next season.

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast