Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Chiefs Off-season Needs

Default 2011 Chiefs Off-season Needs

Well. Now that the season is over. Lets start looking at the draft and free agency!

What are your top needs, and who do you want us to pick. It looks like we will be picking either at either 21, 22 or 23 (3 way tie between us Indy and the loser of the GB/Philly game, usu decided by a coin toss).

My top needs:

1. Elite FS
    - By far the biggest weakness on our team. Berry will make a great SS. He has the skills to cover zone and man, and is great at coming up against the run. Other than him, we are horrible at safety. It may be better to get someone from free agency. Berry could use some experience to mentor him. (supposedly Champ Bailey wants out of Denver and wants to play FS to prolong his career).

2. OG and/or OC prospect.
    -Our interior is getting old. Waters is still playing well, but is one injury away from retiring. Asamoah will likely be really good soon, but Weigmann is getting old, too. Id love to see our 3rd round pick used here.

3. #2 WR
    - This will open up our offense immensely. Bowe is constantly double teamed. If he is one-on-one, he will get open. If they double him, then Moeaki, the #2 guy, and the run game will open up. I say draft someone in the 2nd round.

4. OLB
    - Vrabel is getting old, isnt getting to the QB and is not the best cover man because he has lost a step. We need someone who is good in coverage, not just a rush guy. Our LBs couldnt keep up with the Ravens' TEs. This could probably be found in either the draft or in FA.

5. NT
    - We dont have a true NT. Our DL is good, but Edwards is old and doesnt have the strength to hold up to 2x teams. We need a big beast in the middle. Not sure if there are any great NTs in the draft, or FA.

6. Backup QB
    - I think we all agree that Brokie Croyle has lost most of his supporters. I say FA or a low round draft pick.

What are your thoughts?

I agree we can look to Free agency to help, but it hasn't treated us well recently.

Yeah Chiefs have had good success with later round WR's in the drafts the past 5 years: Quinten Lawrence, Will Franklin, Kevin Robinson, Jeff Webb, Craphonso Thorpe....Any of them pan out or even on the team besides Lawrence? (I think he's on the Practice squad)

and have also had success in Free Agency the past few years: Chambers, Amanni Toomer, Lance Long, Bobby Wade, Mark Bradley, Bobby Engram, Kevin Curtis... Yeah right.

Fitzgerald is not a Free Agent this year, his contract expires after next season so we would have to trade for him. I wouldn't mind landing Breastin or Doucett, But with the way Haley and Pioli think, they like to draft young talent and groom them or "develop" their young players within the organization.

We still need to add a talented young WR worthy of a Higher round pick. You only hear about the 1st round players that don't work out because of the expectations there. You don't hear about the players in rounds 2-7 that don't work out because there is not as much investment. If you look around the league and look at the past 5 drafts, I bet you 75% of the 1st round picks are solid contributors to their team (not necessarily stand out stars, solid contributors what the Chiefs look for and would be good production for a WR2) and 25% of the players are complete busts. There are diamonds in the rough to be found, but there is a reason prospects are picked in the 1st and 2nd rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Jrudi View Post
    I agree we can look to Free agency to help, but it hasn't treated us well recently.

Yeah Chiefs have had good success with later round WR's in the drafts the past 5 years: Quinten Lawrence, Will Franklin, Kevin Robinson, Jeff Webb, Craphonso Thorpe....Any of them pan out or even on the team besides Lawrence? (I think he's on the Practice squad)
    Who said anything about later rounds? We said 2nd or 3rd round. This WR draft class in 2011 is one of deepest in years. There isn't any need to push the panic button & spend a 1st round pick on a WR if they have a quality O-Lineman like Sherrod staring them in the face, just because of this one game against the Ravens -- they've been blanketing opposing teams passing games all year long. As we saw in the season final against the Raiders, if Cassel is lying flat on his back all game long, it doesn't matter who's playing WR. All of those guys that you listed above were all projects, not established stars in college.

and have also had success in Free Agency the past few years: Chambers, Amanni Toomer, Lance Long, Bobby Wade, Mark Bradley, Bobby Engram, Kevin Curtis... Yeah right.
    And how many of those guys were established starters that were in their prime in the NFL? Not one. Every one of them was a stop gap measure. They wound up with KC because nobody else wanted them.

Fitzgerald is not a Free Agent this year, his contract expires after next season so we would have to trade for him. I wouldn't mind landing Breastin or Doucett, But with the way Haley and Pioli think, they like to draft young talent and groom them or "develop" their young players within the organization.
    And yet, they've already brought over Pope and Urban from the Cards, because Haley knew what he was getting. As for drafting young talent, they've been long overdue to do that for the O-Line since Willie Roaf and Will Shields retired. It's time to shore up the O-Line or else Cassel will be a sitting duck next year when they have to play a tough schedule.

We still need to add a talented young WR worthy of a Higher round pick. You only hear about the 1st round players that don't work out because of the expectations there. You don't hear about the players in rounds 2-7 that don't work out because there is not as much investment. If you look around the league and look at the past 5 drafts, I bet you 75% of the 1st round picks are solid contributors to their team (not necessarily stand out stars, solid contributors what the Chiefs look for and would be good production for a WR2) and 25% of the players are complete busts. There are diamonds in the rough to be found, but there is a reason prospects are picked in the 1st and 2nd rounds.
    And here's one mock draft projecting a WR to the Chiefs in the 2nd round. Look at pick #55:

2011 NFL Mock Draft: Round Two – Picks 49-64 | NE Patriots Draft

I'll agree that a 2nd WR is needed, but it is not the top priority to the point of spending a 1st round pick on. The O-Line most certainly is -- they got exposed too many times in 2010 & it's not going to get any better with a tougher schedule in 2011.

Now I remember why I stopped taking part in these Forums, I'm turning into the type of person I hate, wasting my time arguing with people that have no lives that spend it watching stupid crap that doesn't matter like forums and facebook. I'm going to get back to my real life and work for that matter but before I go one last time...

I agree we need to upgrade the line, but as of now we have starters in place for next year or at least options at the positions (unless anyone retires) but should still look to upgrade somewhere like you should every off-season.

Who is our starter at WR2?? I can't think of anyone on our team who could contribute at that position. which is why I feel like we need to upgrade at the position. If a guy that was setting on his couch watching football the week before can come in and start a playoff game for you the week he is signed it's not a good thing for your team or that position group, if we did the same thing with our right tackle or guard I would say that was a pretty big issue as well. I don't know what scenario could make it more glaring of a need..

at least the guys from the KC star agree with me (An article on the site today about upgrading the WR's) and the WR's recieved a "C" grade tied for the lowest grade of any position given this season.

You have your opinion, I have mine, we will see how it turns out in a few months, regardless we have work to do at either position to contend for a championship.

agreed?

Just curious why Sherrod is so high on the list? Yes he is versitale, but is the 8th rated OT according to Scouts INC.
    From my research so far, there might not be an immediate stater available in this years draft at OT. I'm not against taking an OT in the 1st, but would want a good one.

Now I remember why I stopped taking part in these Forums, I'm turning into the type of person I hate, wasting my time arguing with people that have no lives that spend it watching stupid crap that doesn't matter like forums and facebook. I'm going to get back to my real life and work for that matter but before I go one last time...

I agree we need to upgrade the line, but as of now we have starters in place for next year or at least options at the positions (unless anyone retires) but should still look to upgrade somewhere like you should every off-season.

Who is our starter at WR2?? I can't think of anyone on our team who could contribute at that position. which is why I feel like we need to upgrade at the position. If a guy that was setting on his couch watching football the week before can come in and start a playoff game for you the week he is signed it's not a good thing for your team or that position group, if we did the same thing with our right tackle or guard I would say that was a pretty big issue as well. I don't know what scenario could make it more glaring of a need..

at least the guys from the KC star agree with me (An article on the site today about upgrading the WR's) and the WR's recieved a "C" grade tied for the lowest grade of any position given this season.

You have your opinion, I have mine, we will see how it turns out in a few months, regardless we have work to do at either position to contend for a championship.

agreed?
    I agree with your analysis on the WR position. It is definitely the position of the most need. If we're not reaching for a WR in the first round, I don't see why they we wouldn't take a WR. Maybe Julio Jones falls to us, I couldn't argue not taking him.

As far as the first comment, I don't see the need to take a shot at someone's hobby. I'm sure you have your hobbies that other people could care less about. My membership and participation in a forum about my favorite NFL football team does not imply me, or anyone else "not having a life."

Quote Originally Posted by pbatrucker View Post
    Just curious why Sherrod is so high on the list? Yes he is versitale, but is the 8th rated OT according to Scouts INC.
    From my research so far, there might not be an immediate stater available in this years draft at OT. I'm not against taking an OT in the 1st, but would want a good one.
    If we do, he's most likely going to play RT. The team is happy with Albert at LT, and while he isn't the greatest LT in the league, he's certainly not the worst. I see the line struggling more short-term by having a rookie LT and moving Albert to a brand-new position. It would be counter productive. I know, guard was his college position, but the guy has played LT two years now in the zone-blocking scheme the Chiefs have implemented and his role would change a lot by moving. Asamoah is likely the future replacement for Waters, so adding another tackle and center in the draft (in the later rounds like Pioli always does) is probably the route they will go.

I Apologize, I just got frustrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    If we do, he's most likely going to play RT. The team is happy with Albert at LT, and while he isn't the greatest LT in the league, he's certainly not the worst. I see the line struggling more short-term by having a rookie LT and moving Albert to a brand-new position. It would be counter productive. I know, guard was his college position, but the guy has played LT two years now in the zone-blocking scheme the Chiefs have implemented and his role would change a lot by moving. Asamoah is likely the future replacement for Waters, so adding another tackle and center in the draft (in the later rounds like Pioli always does) is probably the route they will go.

I completely agree with this comment, and is the exact reason I feel we will add a Tackle like Demarcus Love or Marcus Gilbert in the 2nd or 3rd rounds if available, and as far as centers I haven't found much info on an good prospects for this draft class...

anyone know of any? I think there is a SR from Mizzou who is projected in rounds 3-5 I think, anyone know of any?

Quote Originally Posted by pbatrucker View Post
    Other scouting reports do have him #1. Here's one:

NFL Draft - 2011_OT Draft Prospects - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

And on their overall list for 2011, he's ranked #2, but it does not include juniors who declared.

Costanzo of BC is also a consideration at OT. He handled Bowers of Clemson very well & Bowers is rated the #1 player by Scouts Inc.

Really it's going to come down to who is available and how they fill our needs in the 1st rd.
    If Julio Jones or Jon Bladwin is available and Pioli says he likes one ok, we get a WR.
    If Akem Ayers or another rush LB is available and fills our need best or an OT or another position for that matter.
    In PIoli and his system we must trust. So far so good, although we haven't agreed with everry move he's made, you can't argue with his results so far.
    If we are going to play physical football, we need to get the personnel to get physical in the trenches.

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast