Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Offensive weakest link...

Default Offensive weakest link...

Some of you might not agree with me, but I think Charlie Weiss has held the offense back this year. Playcalling this year has not been great. We never ran any reverses, flea flickers, end around or anything creative (well once or twice but...).

Then he goes and pulls this crap of telling everyone he is leaving to go to Florida 2 weeks before the end of the season. Look how the whole offense collapsed after that. Cassel, 4 Ints in 2 games. He was fine for most of the year, but after the announcement he seemed to take a step back.

In the Ravens game, same thing. With a 3 point behind score at half time, the Chiefs came out and their very first formation was 5 wide. Bowe was not even targeted at all. They seemed desperate and forced turnovers. Now not all the blame should go on the coaches, but I think its a HUGE factor.

What is your take on this whole Weiss ordeal?
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

I agree. The timing for Weis to do what he did was disrespectful to the team and the organization. How much can someone really try when they know there out of there anyways. Who knows what went on behind the scenes after the announcement. Most of all, Bowe not being targeted or given a chance to make a play was just dumb. I just hope they replace him and Todd doesn't start calling plays. GO CHIEFS!

You know it had to have caused alot of tension between Wies, the players and coaches. Coach has said here before that because of the play calling that something just wasn't right and I fully agree. What the main root of the problem is or was well, we may never know. Sometimes I saw flashes of (Martyball) at some of these games. I for one have lost alot of respect for Wies for the way this was all handled but again as we are seeing now it seems to be within the norm. The Chiefs want Character people so thats pretty automatic McD will not be invited. just sayin....

Something was not right this season that is for sure, and Weiss really screwed up with his announcement. I really believe what he did was intentional.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Quote Originally Posted by honda522 View Post
    Some of you might not agree with me, but I think Charlie Weiss has held the offense back this year. Playcalling this year has not been great. We never ran any reverses, flea flickers, end around or anything creative (well once or twice but...).

Then he goes and pulls this crap of telling everyone he is leaving to go to Florida 2 weeks before the end of the season. Look how the whole offense collapsed after that. Cassel, 4 Ints in 2 games. He was fine for most of the year, but after the announcement he seemed to take a step back.

In the Ravens game, same thing. With a 3 point behind score at half time, the Chiefs came out and their very first formation was 5 wide. Bowe was not even targeted at all. They seemed desperate and forced turnovers. Now not all the blame should go on the coaches, but I think its a HUGE factor.

What is your take on this whole Weiss ordeal?
    I do think his playcalling was very predictable. On the flip side, I think he purposely kept the gameplans simple to make up for Cassel's inherent flaws. The theme of a pro-style offensive attack (what Weis uses) is designed for a mediocre QB with limited ability, i.e. Cassel. It deliberately keeps a QB's potential mistakes in check, hence why Cassel had so few INTs.

Until we get an Aaron Rodgers - type QB that can improvise, I think an ordinary offense would be the best thing for us. We saw what happened the last two weeks when Cassel was taken outside of the comfort zone and forced to make plays, couldn't do it.
    Decree from Chiefster: You have mentioned he who can not be mentioned here. You are BANNED!!!! BANNED I SAY!!!!!!

I have to disagree Daylights..

I don't think we can say that Cassel can't be that kind of quarterback.. Not yet..
    Im afraid it has more to do with the fact that Oakland came up with the blueprint to stymie our offense, and everyone else copied that.

Roll coverage to Bowe and attack at the line of scrimage.

Cassel is still a developing QB, his starter experience is somewhat limited, and his experience with his offensive coordinators even more limited, because they keep changing them!!

I definately think that we should have been able to get more out of the passing game when we needed to, and I had thought Dexter would have been a bigger factor..
    He was tearing it up in the offseason, but never really became a weapon in the passing game.

Quote Originally Posted by brish View Post
    with the fact that Oakland came up with the blueprint to stymie our offense, and everyone else copied that.

Roll coverage to Bowe and attack at the line of scrimage.
    I think you are giving Oakland WAY too much credit here. There was no blueprint to beating this offense IMO. Certainly not that one. We had the #1 rushing attack in football. If the Ravens were swarming Bowe and not bringing the 8th man up into the box, then we should have made them pay by giving them a steady dose of running plays. We were moving the ball just fine in the first half on the ground. Had Jamaal not fumbled in Baltimore territory at the end of the first half, we could have been up at the half.

Instead Charlie Weiss outthought the situation like he did all year. im guessing that he's assuming they will be trying to stop the one thing that worked in the first half(running), so he comes out 5 wide and never looks back. His lack of running the ball in the 2nd half contributed to the loss. But it was not the reason. 5 turnovers were the reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    I think you are giving Oakland WAY too much credit here. There was no blueprint to beating this offense IMO. Certainly not that one. We had the #1 rushing attack in football. If the Ravens were swarming Bowe and not bringing the 8th man up into the box, then we should have made them pay by giving them a steady dose of running plays. We were moving the ball just fine in the first half on the ground. Had Jamaal not fumbled in Baltimore territory at the end of the first half, we could have been up at the half.

Instead Charlie Weiss outthought the situation like he did all year. im guessing that he's assuming they will be trying to stop the one thing that worked in the first half(running), so he comes out 5 wide and never looks back. His lack of running the ball in the 2nd half contributed to the loss. But it was not the reason. 5 turnovers were the reason.
    Um, Weis was stripped of his playcalling duties at halftime. That's the reason Charles didn't get his runs.

Weis did a good job this season. He helped make Bowe, Charles, Cassel, and the OL look like superstars for most of the season.

Our biggest offensive weakest line is our 2WR spot. We do not have a NFL-worthy WR across from Dwayne Bowe. We need one, and badly, if we want to win a playoff game against a great defense like the Ravens.

Quote Originally Posted by bwilliams View Post
    Um, Weis was stripped of his playcalling duties at halftime. That's the reason Charles didn't get his runs.
    Um, no he wasn't. Keep up with the news. I agree the lack of a WR2 was the biggest weakness though.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Um, no he wasn't. Keep up with the news. I agree the lack of a WR2 was the biggest weakness though.
    Um, just because the Chiefs are now denying it doesn't make it untrue. Don't believe every press release you read. They're covering their butts because it was a disasterous move.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast