Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Charlie Weis stripped of playcalling duties at Halftime

Default Charlie Weis stripped of playcalling duties at Halftime

From Rotoworld.com

"Bob Fescoe of 610 Kansas City reports that Chiefs coach Todd Haley stripped OC Charlie Weis' play-calling duties at halftime of Sunday's 30-7 loss to Baltimore.
    The Chiefs were down just 10-7 at the half, and didn't put a single point on the board in the final two quarters. Clearly the most dynamic player on the field in the game, Jamaal Charles received just three second-half touches. Kansas City's offense fell apart after news of Weis' departure broke prior to Week 17, and Haley only exacerbated the problem in the most important game of the season. Haley is now believed to be pursuing a puppet-type offensive coordinator to replace Weis, who is heading to the University of Florida"

This is absolutely and utterly ridiculous from Haley. We go into halftime down 10-7 and he takes away Weis's playcalling duties? Did anyone else see how horrendous the offense was in the 2nd half? I'm sorry, this is a horrible coaching move by Todd Haley in the biggest game of his head coaching career.

Hate to say it, but Whitlock was right. Haley let's his ego get the best of him. To strip Weis of his playcalling duties after the offense moved the ball very well in the first half is stupid. I can't remember the last time I've been this angry about a boneheaded coaching move.
    Last edited by Coach; 01-10-2011 at 02:04 PM.

Navy Nuclear Power Credo:
    We the Unwilling, led by the Unknowing
    and Ungrateful, do the Impossible.
    We have been doing so much,
    for so long, with so little
    We are now Qualified to do Anything with Nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Buck Rogers View Post
    Yeah, we discussed that article at length, most of us dismissed Fatlock as just having sour grapes, yet, there could be something to it if the latest rumors are confirmed.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

I think a lot of people dismiss Whitless's articles because he's usually negative or constantly second guessing. However comma when you look at the insight he has in this article, and others, he may unfortunately know EXACTLY what he's talking about
    Navy Nuclear Power Credo:
    We the Unwilling, led by the Unknowing
    and Ungrateful, do the Impossible.
    We have been doing so much,
    for so long, with so little
    We are now Qualified to do Anything with Nothing!

The problem I have with this story is three-fold

Fescoe
    Whitlock
    Pro Football Talk

I would like to hear from someone with a little better track record before making a decision.

Not saying this isnt true, but history has proven those three to be less than credible to me.

Default What the

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Buck Rogers View Post
    I think a lot of people dismiss Whitless's articles because he's usually negative or constantly second guessing. However comma when you look at the insight he has in this article, and others, he may unfortunately know EXACTLY what he's talking about
    Whitlock has it in for Pioli and the Chiefs because Pioli limited access to the media and Fakelock was anti-Chiefs ever since. I do not believe a word of his Sh**

Quote Originally Posted by billb40 View Post
    Whitlock has it in for Pioli and the Chiefs because Pioli limited access to the media and Fakelock was anti-Chiefs ever since. I do not believe a word of his Sh**
    I don't either. I think he may have taken playcalling duties over witch was a mistake IMO But that by no means makes Haley a horrible head coach. He made a mistake in his first playoff game something many head coaches have done. I am still happy to have haley as our head coach

That being said to many more things like this will leave me with no choice but to rethink that.

True, or not, accepting, and announcing, another job, while working on a playoff game, does seem to have been a major distraction.

The backlash against 610 Sports' Bob Fescoe's report continues.
    On Monday morning Fescoe reported that Charlie Weis told some people during a postgame meal following the Ravens game that Todd Haley stripped him of play calling duties at in the second half. Fescoe cited two sources who said Weis "was up there telling anybody who would listen that Todd Haley took second half play calling duties away from him".
    Now ESPN's Adam Schefter cites a Chiefs source who says Weis called every play.

610 Sports in Kansas City reported Monday that Chiefs coach Todd Haley stripped Weis of play-calling duties at halftime of the loss. However, a Chiefs source insisted that Haley did not take over play-calling duties from Weis and that Weis called every play in the game, including the controversial fourth-and-inches call that was stopped for a loss.
    Schefter says one team source called anything to the contrary "just outright lies".

Chiefs QB Matt Cassel was asked on Monday whether Weis called all the plays against the Ravens this weekend. Via KCChiefs.com:
    "Yesterday we were operating as normal," Cassel said. "I didn't notice any difference. We have been doing that throughout the year where I just get the call in from Nick Sirianni, who is our QBs coach and we go."
    By now we've heard enough versions of this story that you can decide for yourself who to believe.
    Last edited by Coach; 01-10-2011 at 11:19 PM.

I trust Schefter over Bob Fescoe. Regardless, the playcalling was absolutely horrendous in the 2nd half.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    I trust Schefter over Bob Fescoe. Regardless, the playcalling was absolutely horrendous in the 2nd half.
    I agree. I just couldn't believe those rumors though. Coach I'll run the ball until all else fails Haley, not running the ball.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast