Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: chiefs new oc

Default chiefs new oc

chiefs offensive coordinator for 2011 is going to be? none other than todd haley.if they were going to make a move at the position. it would have already happend.or you would have heard of them interviewing some canidates.there is not even any rumors going around. that indicate them looking for a coordinator to replace weiss.

Yeah, I have been wondering that very same thing. I think Haley will be doing those duties. I really think this is an ego thing with him. I just don't think he is willing to give up the reigns!

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Haley taking time to make right choice

January, 20, 2011 Jan 20
    5:25
    PM ET

By Bill Williamson

I know many Kansas City Chiefs fans are anxious to see who will run the team’s offense now that Charlie Weis has departed for the same job at the University of Florida.

The Chiefs’ search has been very quiet in the 10 days since Weis officially left the team. There has been speculation, but there has been no official word on interviews. There was talk Denver offensive coordinator Mike McCoy could join Todd Haley’s staff, but he is staying in Denver. Among the other names that have been speculated about include in-house candidates Maurice Carthon and Nick Sirianni, Arizona assistant Mike Miller and Tampa Bay offensive coordinator Greg Olson, who is under contract and would be difficult to hire.

I expect Haley to make a decision sooner rather than later. I know he is studying candidates and is working to get the hire done.

Haley is looking to find the right fit. He fired Chan Gailey during training camp in 2009 and Weis lasted one year. Haley doesn’t want to look for another offensive coordinator next year, so he’ll looking for someone who’ll mesh with him and his staff well. Chemistry is key for this hire.

Haley is also looking for someone who can continue the nurturing of quarterback Matt Cassel. Cassel, who was named to the Pro Bowl on Thursday, made terrific strides in 2010. It has to continue in 2011 and the new offensive coordinator will clearly play a big role.

I think Haley is taking his time to ensure he gets this choice right. While Haley said last week that he wouldn’t rule out calling his own plays, I think Haley saw the benefits of his freedom in 2010 and it allowed him to be a better head coach opposed to in 2009 when he was the offensive coordinator after he fired Gailey.

Haley wants to find the right fit. It’s just taking time.

they might be interested on a coach that is still in the playoffs

I think that it's real possible that Haley will be the one that is calling the plays but there will be someone with the title of OC. They will at the very least move someone on the current staff into that spot.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    I think that it's real possible that Haley will be the one that is calling the plays but there will be someone with the title of OC. They will at the very least move someone on the current staff into that spot.
    If that's the case then why spend the money on a puppet?

Well I mean he seems to want someone that works with him and that works well with him. I mean you really dont hear about these kinds of problems until they start doing bad and I mean with hard teams you dont want the drama of past seasons. I will give him a season (same with Cassel).

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    If that's the case then why spend the money on a puppet?
    not all OC's call the plays, some head coaches like to call the plays but the OC builds the offense, creates the game plan, and is responsible for the QB development.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefnut View Post
    not all OC's call the plays, some head coaches like to call the plays but the OC builds the offense, creates the game plan, and is responsible for the QB development.
    Well, I guess that makes sense.

Geeze I really hope Haley isn't the OC. I don't think his temperment is good with Cassel and I don't know that he can wear that many hats as a young coach.

An interesting thought would be Randy Fichtner, who is the wide receivers and QB coach with the Steelers. He was the OC and QB coach at Memphis from 2001-2007, where that team re-wrote all the teams passing records as he instituted a new spread offense.

If we are looking to hire someone who hasn't been an NFL OC, I could see him being the guy. Also, he would be good to work with the Chiefs younger wideouts and you have to think Haley would like a guy who worked with wideouts like he did...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast