Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Mock #1 1/24/2011

Default Mock #1 1/24/2011

1st)Nate Solder-OT
    This completes o-line,, as we have signed Logan Mankins-LG allowing us to slide B Waters to center.
    Alberts/Mankins/Waters/Lilja/Solder

2nd)Randall Cobb-WR
    This completes rebuild receiving corps, as we have, signed Santana Moss-WR to go along with D-Bowe/McCluster/Moss/Cobb/Young

3rd)Titus Young-WR
    5'11" 178 sub 4.4

4th)Sione Fua-NT
    5th)Brandon Fusco-C
    5th)Greg Romeus-OLB
    6th)Ricky Stanzi-QB
    7th)Dion Lewis-RB
    7th)Matt Szczur-WR

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    Yeah, I get it. Your idea of balance is winning, regardless of what the word balance means.

Good for you.
    Well, if you wish to harbor ill-will for something that petty, so be it.

Now, if would kindly let this thread get back on topic, as I have twice tried to do, it would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Well, if you wish to harbor ill-will for something that petty, so be it.

Now, if would kindly let this thread get back on topic, as I have twice tried to do, it would be greatly appreciated.
    So you are asking me not to respond, so as to get the thread back on track? And you have done that twice? When?

You even responded when I was done, and talking to someone else. See below....

Quote Originally Posted by Three7s View Post
    Good for you. I figured out pretty quickly that dempsey is hell-bent on his opinion and will not waiver one bit. I have no doubts that brdempsey is a good person and a passionate football fan, it's just pointless to continue on a hapless debate.

As for my take on the Ravens offense of 2000, I agree with chief31 completely. ANY offense can score at times, even the freaking Chiefs of 2007-2009. Will they win with that kind of offense? Not without the Ravens defense.
    Yeah. I like him. I even agree with just about all of his opinions about needing to be a balanced team. As well as the importance of a LOT over a Safety.

But there is no sense in debating someone who is going to make up definitions for words, just to not admit misspeaking.
    I was already done with it then. I didn't respond to your last comments at that point.

Also, determining what kind of balance we want for this team is directly relevant to a draft discussion. That's how we got to the topic of The Ravens.

Not that I mind threads going off-topic . It is going to happen, as that's how discussion works.

Anyway.... No ill-will here. I even stated that I think you are a great member of the site, and that I like you here.

I am quite capable of debate without grudges.

So you are asking me not to respond, so as to get the thread back on track? And you have done that twice? When?

You even responded when I was done, and talking to someone else. See below....

I was already done with it then. I didn't respond to your last comments at that point.

Also, determining what kind of balance we want for this team is directly relevant to a draft discussion. That's how we got to the topic of The Ravens.

Not that I mind threads going off-topic . It is going to happen, as that's how discussion works.

Anyway.... No ill-will here. I even stated that I think you are a great member of the site, and that I like you here.

I am quite capable of debate without grudges.
    Post #81 and Post #104. And no, I'm not asking you to stop responding by any means -- knock yourself out. I was just simply asking to go back on topic with the mock draft thread, but whatever, by all means, proceed with what you wish.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 02-02-2011 at 03:22 PM.

^^Ok, my bad for not being more specific when I say "going back on topic". What players do you like and what position would you like to see the Chiefs draft in the 1st? Perhaps you already stated so & I missed it, but I'll ask, anyway.

Just saw were Barnes, OC, MO and Kirkpatrick, OC, TCU where not invited to the combine. Both are possible draft choices for the Chiefs. At least one of them should be available in the 3rd rd or later.

Quote Originally Posted by pbatrucker View Post
    Just saw were Barnes, OC, MO and Kirkpatrick, OC, TCU where not invited to the combine. Both are possible draft choices for the Chiefs. At least one of them should be available in the 3rd rd or later.
    Wow, what's up with that? I hope it's nothing injury related. Kirkpatrick, in particular looks like a good Center prospect.

Wow, what's up with that? I hope it's nothing injury related. Kirkpatrick, in particular looks like a good Center prospect.
    Yes I was really surprised and IMO Kirkpatrick could be high on the Chiefs board.
    You can find the list of invitees at cbssportsline.com

^^Ok, my bad for not being more specific when I say "going back on topic". What players do you like and what position would you like to see the Chiefs draft in the 1st? Perhaps you already stated so & I missed it, but I'll ask, anyway.
    About the same as you.

I have been begging for a LOT since the year Roaf retired. (Broke my heart that offseason.)

Beyond that I look at ROT and C as major needs.

WR is probably our weakest position, but I agree with most who suggest finding a solution to that through free agency.

Elsewhere, all positions seem to be in fair enough shape to where all that is needed is depth, or small upgrades.

Ron Edwards played well this season, but an upgrade could be had at NT.

At CB, Carr seems to be coming around. But I would be happy to see some competition come in and strengthen the position.

I like our DEs, and our LBs seem to have guys that look capable of filling those positions quite well.

Offensive line, as with each of the past four offseasons, is my main focus this year.

About the same as you.

I have been begging for a LOT since the year Roaf retired. (Broke my heart that offseason.)
    Brother, you not alone there. I've been waiting for a bonafide replacement for Roaf since he retired -- and I still believe Russell Okung was that guy -- not anybody on the Chiefs roster currently.

Beyond that I look at ROT and C as major needs.

Yes, especially Center. The middle of the O-Line was getting demolished late in the season & it won't get any better until some bonafide talent is brought in via the draft or FA.

WR is probably our weakest position, but I agree with most who suggest finding a solution to that through free agency.

Same here. At WR there is no substitute for experience. And experienced WR's will almost always make a immediate impact as opposed to rookies that may take time to develop, although there are occasions where rookie WR's do make an instant splash.

Elsewhere, all positions seem to be in fair enough shape to where all that is needed is depth, or small upgrades.

Ron Edwards played well this season, but an upgrade could be had at NT.

At CB, Carr seems to be coming around. But I would be happy to see some competition come in and strengthen the position.

NT is a need area for sure, even with Shaun Smith being able to play there. Depth is pretty good elsewhere, except maybe Safety. Another good corner is always welcome.

I like our DEs, and our LBs seem to have guys that look capable of filling those positions quite well.
    Agreed here, also. I understand Chiefs fans wanting a killer pass-rushing SOLB, but I don't want the Chiefs to spend the #21 overall pick on one without guys like Studebaker, Sheffield, and Cory Greenwood getting the chance to show what they can do with extensive playing time, at least for this year -- that's a mistake and add to the fact all have a years worth of experience under Crennel and that they are more ready to show what they can do more so than any rookie.

Offensive line, as with each of the past four offseasons, is my main focus this year.
    I'm also hopeful, as well. I'll never understand why so many Chiefs fans want to continue pretending that it's not a need area that needs to addressed in the upper round of the draft & act like it's an abomination to draft a stud OT in the 1st round -- it's been proven over the last 20 years that the OT position has the lowest bust rate of all positions and when you get a good OT, it's so much easier to build the rest of your O-Line when the kingpin is in place. Of course, if Chiefs fans enjoy watching Cassel get battered into a zombie when they get into obvious passing situations, then they'll get their wish if the Chiefs brass continues to keep putting off this area of need.

Agreed. As for man-to-man this is the area that I'd like to Berry improve as he's faster than Polumalu. I don't dispute that Polumalu makes the Steelers Defense better, but at the same time I can't ignore the fact that he's had the good fortune to have a talented front 7 to help him out, same as Ed Reed.

Anyway, Berry does have a lot of room for improvement to justify his draft status, and anyone who watched the Chiefs games this year ought to know that.

Well, as for Berry not missing any plays, the Chiefs in general have had good fortune to not get bit by the injury bug. It's not surprising that Berry didn't miss any plays, as he never did in college.

Just thought I look up what justifies a top 5 pick based on the performances of the top 5 picks in years 04-08 (excluded 09 and 10, to soon to determine)

I rated these based on how you seem to think a top 5 pick should produce. They are either "Elite" at their position, and if they aren't... they are considered a "Bust" because it seems to me that you feel, if a player in the top 5 is not Elite at his position he is a bust even if he is an average to above average player. So here it goes...

Jake Long -Elite
    Chris Long- Bust/Average
    Matt Ryan - Elite
    Darren McFadden- Bust/Average (Best year was this year)
    Glenn Dorsey- Bust/Average (Best year was this year)

JaMarcus Russell - Bust (Extreme)
    Calvin Johnson - Elite
    Joe Thomas - Elite
    Gaines Adams - Bust
    Levi Brown - Bust

Mario Williams - Elite
    Reggie Bush - Bust/Average
    Vince Young - Bust/Average
    D'Brickashaw Ferguson - Elite
    A.J. Hawk - Bust/Average

Alex D. Smith - Bust

Ronnie Brown - Bust/Average (Never looked at as an "Elite RB"
    Braylon Edwards - Bust/Average
    Cedric Benson- Bust/Average (Better with the Bengals, but not Elite)
    Cadillac Williams- Bust

6 of 20 considered Elite or 30%
    14 of 20 considered Bust (or Average) or 70%

So in reality a majority of the time the top 5 picks are all busts, so why does berry need to justify where he was picked when a majority of them are busts anyways.

The actually reality, is something I have said before... The draft is not a science, there will be all-pro's and busts in every single round at every position. These NFL players are "people" just like you and I, and there is a lot more that goes into success than what you have don in the past, more of an impact is how you will handle the future.

In my opinion, I am proud to have Eric Berry as a Chief, and I am glad we picked him up last year, no matter where we were picking. He is a high character guy that seems like he will strive to do better everyday. He has helped this Defense. You keep quoting the fact that he gave up some TD's, (I'm sure every DB in this league got burnt a couple times this season) But he did drastically help improve our Run-D (I don't think 92 tackles came from just playing in pass coverage). We were at the bottom of the league the last 3 years in Run-D, and beside the improved play of DJ, I don't see what else changed that could make that much of a difference besides the addition of him. (Belcher had a decent season, but don't think he was the reason for the improved run d, Shaun Smith played ok but didn't affect the run-d drastically, and Kendrick Lewis was a FS, not much run support from FS's).

He is a tough durable leader, who has and will continue to contribute to this team. I think he had an excellent season for a rookie, but to say he wasn't worth the pick this early in his playing career is just nonsense. I mean so far he looks like he could be part of the 30% of top 5's that aren't busts according to you.