Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Mock #1 1/24/2011

Default Mock #1 1/24/2011

1st)Nate Solder-OT
    This completes o-line,, as we have signed Logan Mankins-LG allowing us to slide B Waters to center.
    Alberts/Mankins/Waters/Lilja/Solder

2nd)Randall Cobb-WR
    This completes rebuild receiving corps, as we have, signed Santana Moss-WR to go along with D-Bowe/McCluster/Moss/Cobb/Young

3rd)Titus Young-WR
    5'11" 178 sub 4.4

4th)Sione Fua-NT
    5th)Brandon Fusco-C
    5th)Greg Romeus-OLB
    6th)Ricky Stanzi-QB
    7th)Dion Lewis-RB
    7th)Matt Szczur-WR

I love this thread!

brdempsey69 you're a good guy, but I know this is not the only mock draft thread.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post

But you failed him, regardless of draft status.
    Regardless of draft status, the need for improvement is still there. Because of the draft status, I had hoped for a better showing, and still do.

But the improved pass-rush numbers were caused by better coverage.
    Oh really? Like in the game at Denver? No pass rush, no sacks & 5 TD passes given up. To say that the pass rush was improved by better pass coverage is only true to a very small extent. In the 2nd Denver game they sacked Orton 4 times & put much more pressure on him & no TD's given up. Granted Moreno ran for 161 yards, but you can't pin that on the DB's or give them too much credit when they held Jerome Harrison ( that's the guy that torched them for 285 yards in 2009 ) to 33 yards in the Cleveland game -- that's the job of front 7.

Link?
    Here it is:

NFL Stats: by Team Category

"Certain individuals" includes you, right?
    The difference is that I tried to get back on topic, twice and let go the discussion about Berry.

Those responses, which were directed at you, were in direct response to your comments back to them (us).

What you did was make your counter remarks, then add a post to "try and get back on topic" as if to just take the last word in the "off-topic" discussion.

At no point did you neglect to respond to the "off-topic" remarks.

That would have been a legitimate attempt to change topic.

At no time did I try to take the last word. I never told anyone not to respond to me. They did so out of their own choosing.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 02-08-2011 at 05:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    I love this thread!

brdempsey69 you're a good guy, but I know this is not the only mock draft thread.
    Quite correct. I started my own.

My Mock Draft - Kansas City Chiefs Forums

Eric Berry was thrown at 50 times this year, 2nd most among all safeties. He allowed 58% of those passes to be completed, which ranked 28th out of 86 safeties (so just into the top 1/3rd).

This was better than:

Michael Griffin - 60.3%
    O.J. Atogwe - 60.5%
    Earl Thomas - 60.9%
    Eric Weddle - 61.3%
    Troy Polamalu - 62.5%
    T.J. Ward - 62.5%
    Laron Landry - 62.8%
    Bernard Pollard - 63.2%
    Jim Leonhard - 67.9%
    Nate Allen - 69%
    Patrick Chung - 70.8%
    Donte Whitner - 71.8%
    Antrel Rolle - 77.8%
    Taylor Mays - 81.3%

Berry's downfall was giving up touchdowns, which is no secret. His 7 was the most out of all safeties in the league (2 others also had 7, but keep in mind he was also thrown at the 2nd most (Michael Griffin was thrown at 58 times to Berry's 50). So his biggest need is to tighten up in the redzone. Some other stats from safeties:

Pollard 6 TDs on 34 throws
    Nate Allen 6 TDs on 29 throws
    Ed Reed 4 TDs on 28 throws
    Patrick Chung 4 TDs on 48 throws

So yes, we can hold the TD numbers over his head, but overall his coverage skills are solid for a rookie safety. He's certainly didn't flunk though.

If anyone was curious, Flowers allowed 1 TD on 102 throws and Carr was 5 TDs on 48 throws. I'd provide a link, but it's a subscription service I pay for.

Holy cow! I just stopped reading all of the nonsense like 3 pages from the end of this thread haha.

I stopped arguing with brdempsey like last week on this same topic and didn't know this was still going on haha.

Just for the record I don't think anyone will be able to impact his opinion on Berry so it's better off not to waste your time. I do give you props brdempsey on standing your ground on what you believe in, crazy you're still arguing the topic.

I like Berry and hope he continues to develop into a contributor for years to come.

Also worth noting that 6 of his 7 TDs allowed were in the first 7 weeks of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    Also worth noting that 6 of his 7 TDs allowed were in the first 7 weeks of the season.
    This is incorrect. There were 3 after the first 7 games. There was one against the Denver (the 40-yard post pattern to Gaffney who was clearly Berry's man on that play), one against the Titans and one against the Raiders. That would raise the total to 9.

One could also question the quality of the opponents passing games collectively after those first 7 games.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post

Berry's downfall was giving up touchdowns, which is no secret. His 7 was the most out of all safeties in the league (2 others also had 7, but keep in mind he was also thrown at the 2nd most (Michael Griffin was thrown at 58 times to Berry's 50). So his biggest need is to tighten up in the redzone.
    So yes, we can hold the TD numbers over his head, but overall his coverage skills are solid for a rookie safety. He's certainly didn't flunk though.
    That's where it really counts the most -- points on the scoreboard. Add to that, no INT's in the red zone, as well. That's why I fail him.

If want to give him a passing grade, then you or anyone can do that if they wish. To me, he still fails.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    This is incorrect. There were 3 after the first 7 games. There was one against the Denver (the 40-yard post pattern to Gaffney who was clearly Berry's man on that play), one against the Titans and one against the Raiders. That would raise the total to 9.

One could also question the quality of the opponents passing games collectively after those first 7 games.

That's where it really counts the most -- points on the scoreboard. Add to that, no INT's in the red zone, as well. That's why I fail him.

If want to give him a passing grade, then you or anyone can do that if they wish. To me, he still fails.
    I know you'll write this off as a bad throw, but the pick on Buffalo, gift or not, saved that game. That's as good as any red zone pick you can ask for.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Three7s View Post
    I know you'll write this off as a bad throw, but the pick on Buffalo, gift or not, saved that game. That's as good as any red zone pick you can ask for.
    How can you not write it off as bad throw when the ball inexplicably slipped out of the QB's hand as he was throwing it & sailed right straight to Berry. It was a gift and a damn lucky one at that. Not because of a great play by Berry. Great that Berry did hang on to it, though.

And it's not as good as any red zone pick that could be asked for -- if I recall correctly, the Bills were not in FG range yet. A good red zone pick is generally one where the defender jumps in front of the receiver on a well thrown ball -- in the red zone.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 02-08-2011 at 07:30 PM.

Ok, you're smoking something here. I just watched the highlights. The Denver one, where Gaffney was "clearly Berry's man on the play", you couldn't be more wrong. Berry is on the other side of the field when the ball is thrown and he runs over after the throw. Ricky Price and Derrick Johnson both got beat on that play. Makes sense that Ricky Price would cover a slot guy right? Is it Okung's fault when the LG gives up a sack too?

The Titans one on the Jared Cook touchdown was into a soft spot in the Chiefs zone where Flowers, Lewis, and Berry were all standing. So sure if you want to be really critical put that one all on him.

So 2* touchdowns in the last 9 games. I realize the guy had a rough first half of the season getting his feet wet in the NFL, but talk about a drastic improvement over the last half of the season.

That's fine, your grades mean absolutely nothing, other than to show the rest of us you are going to be overly critical of Berry no matter what. By your "points on the scoreboard" criteria, Ed Reed fails this season too.
    Last edited by Ryfo18; 02-08-2011 at 07:36 PM.