Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Mock #1 1/24/2011

Default Mock #1 1/24/2011

1st)Nate Solder-OT
    This completes o-line,, as we have signed Logan Mankins-LG allowing us to slide B Waters to center.
    Alberts/Mankins/Waters/Lilja/Solder

2nd)Randall Cobb-WR
    This completes rebuild receiving corps, as we have, signed Santana Moss-WR to go along with D-Bowe/McCluster/Moss/Cobb/Young

3rd)Titus Young-WR
    5'11" 178 sub 4.4

4th)Sione Fua-NT
    5th)Brandon Fusco-C
    5th)Greg Romeus-OLB
    6th)Ricky Stanzi-QB
    7th)Dion Lewis-RB
    7th)Matt Szczur-WR

Funny, I've always felt the same way, only about the D-line. I just think defense is far more important than offense. I get that you want THE BEST O-LINEMAN, but you can't argue that we were god awful at Safety, and was a far worse position than O-line.

While we could go O-line in the 1st round this year, I really really hate Ron Edwards and I want him gone. (yes I mean HATE)
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Three7s View Post
    Funny, I've always felt the same way, only about the D-line. I just think defense is far more important than offense. I get that you want THE BEST O-LINEMAN, but you can't argue that we were god awful at Safety, and was a far worse position than O-line.

While we could go O-line in the 1st round this year, I really really hate Ron Edwards and I want him gone. (yes I mean HATE)
    So be it, regarding how you feel regarding Ron Edwards, that's your discretion. I'd like a Quality NT to come in and spell him & take over for him full-time in the near future.

Yes, I can argue that the team was just as bad on the O-Line as they were at Safety in 2009. You take away Jamaal Charles and the Chiefs are drafting #1 or #2 in 2010, instead of #5. And when it comes to the draft, Safety is the easiest position to fill, and there were many good Safeties that the Chiefs could have had in the 2nd round and lower. Nate Allen was playing just as well as Berry before his injury and T.J. Ward also played just as well. I don't care who's over-hyped Berry or him getting invited to the Pro Bowl -- that's a classic case of the fans making a silk purse out of a sow's ear. At no time in NFL history has any Safety been more valuable than a stellar LT to any team.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    So be it, regarding how you feel regarding Ron Edwards, that's your discretion. I'd like a Quality NT to come in and spell him & take over for him full-time in the near future.

Yes, I can argue that the team was just as bad on the O-Line as they were at Safety in 2009. You take away Jamaal Charles and the Chiefs are drafting #1 or #2 in 2010, instead of #5. And when it comes to the draft, Safety is the easiest position to fill, and there were many good Safeties that the Chiefs could have had in the 2nd round and lower. Nate Allen was playing just as well as Berry before his injury and T.J. Ward also played just as well. I don't care who's over-hyped Berry or him getting invited to the Pro Bowl -- that's a classic case of the fans making a silk purse out of a sow's ear. At no time in NFL history has any Safety been more valuable than a stellar LT to any team.
    Troy Polamalu. And you can just look at how the Steelers do w/ and without him. Last year they weren't even a playoff team and he was gone most of the year.

I get it, it's a matter of preference. To each his own.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    Troy Polamalu. And you can just look at how the Steelers do w/ and without him. Last year they weren't even a playoff team and he was gone most of the year.
    Nope, his abscence wasn't the sole reason the Steelers struggled in 2009, they were beat up all over the place. It's never that simple as one Safety missing from the lineup causing the entire team to collapse. Not having him didn't help, but he's missed time this year, and the Steelers have been able to carry on.

Let's see what happens in the Super Bowl without their starting Center against the Packers.

Nope, his abscence wasn't the sole reason the Steelers struggled in 2009, they were beat up all over the place. It's never that simple as one Safety missing from the lineup causing the entire team to collapse. Not having him didn't help, but he's missed time this year, and the Steelers have been able to carry on.

Let's see what happens in the Super Bowl without their starting Center against the Packers.
    I'm more getting at, and tending to agree with Three7's, that defense is more important, and you don't need a force field at LT. I mean, it's no coincidence that something like 8 of the last 10 super bowl champs have been in the top 5 in scoring defense (I think Indy and New Orleans are the exceptions). Or that 4 of the top 6 scoring defenses this year were all in the AFC/NFC Championship games, and in either case the better scoring defense won and is now in the Super Bowl.

Jonathan Scott gave up 3 sacks in the divisional round against Terrell Suggs. Steelers won.

D'Brickashaw Ferguson is one of the best LT's in the league, he's not in the Super Bowl.

Chad Clifton (who is by no means an elite LT) got hurt in the AFC championship game and the Packers still managed to win. And the Steelers already managed to win with Pouncey out against the Jets.

And as far as the Chiefs defense goes, last year we were the 4th worst in scoring defense, this year top 10. Berry is part of that improvement, along with Kendrick Lewis. Our safety play was absolutely atrocious in 2009.

a dominant defense will get you a superbowl run more often than a dominate offense ask the cowgirls

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    I'm more getting at, and tending to agree with Three7's, that defense is more important, and you don't need a force field at LT. I mean, it's no coincidence that something like 8 of the last 10 super bowl champs have been in the top 5 in scoring defense (I think Indy and New Orleans are the exceptions). Or that 4 of the top 6 scoring defenses this year were all in the AFC/NFC Championship games, and in either case the better scoring defense won and is now in the Super Bowl.

Jonathan Scott gave up 3 sacks in the divisional round against Terrell Suggs. Steelers won.

D'Brickashaw Ferguson is one of the best LT's in the league, he's not in the Super Bowl.

Chad Clifton (who is by no means an elite LT) got hurt in the AFC championship game and the Packers still managed to win. And the Steelers already managed to win with Pouncey out against the Jets.

And as far as the Chiefs defense goes, last year we were the 4th worst in scoring defense, this year top 10. Berry is part of that improvement, along with Kendrick Lewis. Our safety play was absolutely atrocious in 2009.
    Safety play wasn't all that dramatically much better in 2010. The real reason for Defensive improvement was a revamped Defensive front 7 that a did a much better job at stopping the run & rushing the passer. Try putting Berry & Lewis with the 2009 front 7 that was like a sieve and the results would be marginal at best, if any at all.

People are such suckers for the cliche "defense wins championships" , but if you closely examine the Chiefs post season failures that have occurred since their SB win in '69, it's been primarily because of a lack of balance regarding both sides of the ball ( '71 squad & '93 squads excluded ). In '92, '95 & '97, they had championship caliber defenses, but lack of Offense lead to one and done in the post season. In 2003, they had the Offense, but the Defense had collapsed and one and done, again. The point is that you have to have BOTH to win championships. I have yet to see an exception to that, and that includes the 2000 Ravens, 2007 Ravens, '63 Bears, you name it.

And the Ravens this year did more to lose that game, than the Steelers did to win it, by making inexcusable mistakes. Packers Offense sputtered after Clifton went out and they won against a 3rd string QB.

Quote Originally Posted by slc chief View Post
    a dominant defense will get you a superbowl run more often than a dominate offense ask the cowgirls
    Or KC during the whole time Vermiel was coach. HUGE offensive numbers- no defense.

I'm not sure Ron Edwards is someone worth "Hating"- I mean, hate is a pretty intense emotion.

But I too, think he ought to be gone, and replaced with someone much more talented at the position. I wonder what a line consisting of Tyson Jackson-Shaun Smith- Glenn Dorsey would be like...

Still, I'd like to see us get someone stellar in there at 'drain plug'.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefscrazy View Post
    Using a 1st rounder on a RT is not a good idea IMO! NT, WR & OC are my top choices for our 1st round pick. We should be able to find a solid RT in FA or the 4th round or later.
    So RT's aren't supposed to be taken in the 1st rnd but you think a center should be? doesn't make sense to me.

just because of pouncey last year doesn't mean centers will be the next hot position to take in the 1st rnd. I think the top rated OC is projected in the 2nd.

I would rather draft a tackle than a center at #21

Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast