Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Mock #1 1/24/2011

Default Mock #1 1/24/2011

1st)Nate Solder-OT
    This completes o-line,, as we have signed Logan Mankins-LG allowing us to slide B Waters to center.
    Alberts/Mankins/Waters/Lilja/Solder

2nd)Randall Cobb-WR
    This completes rebuild receiving corps, as we have, signed Santana Moss-WR to go along with D-Bowe/McCluster/Moss/Cobb/Young

3rd)Titus Young-WR
    5'11" 178 sub 4.4

4th)Sione Fua-NT
    5th)Brandon Fusco-C
    5th)Greg Romeus-OLB
    6th)Ricky Stanzi-QB
    7th)Dion Lewis-RB
    7th)Matt Szczur-WR

Quote Originally Posted by josh1971 View Post
    Or KC during the whole time Vermiel was coach. HUGE offensive numbers- no defense.

I'm not sure Ron Edwards is someone worth "Hating"- I mean, hate is a pretty intense emotion.

But I too, think he ought to be gone, and replaced with someone much more talented at the position. I wonder what a line consisting of Tyson Jackson-Shaun Smith- Glenn Dorsey would be like...

Still, I'd like to see us get someone stellar in there at 'drain plug'.
    You might very well see that scenario in 2011 & that would be a good one.

OK, lets say a NT with the #21 pick. Here's a guy to consider

Phillip Taylor, Baylor, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Phil Taylor of Baylor. Had great Senior Bowl. 6-4, 337-pound frame. Does have a checkered history, however. Does Pioli maybe trade down and take him, or roll the dice at #21 or wait till the 2nd or 3rd round and take the best NT or not even take one at all, as was the case in 2010?

And I'm not going to point any fingers at Ron Edwards, but he did get wore out as the season went on. Smith was supposed to be the one spelling him, but TJ's injury forced Smith into a full-time starting position at DE & certainly didn't help Edward's cause any ( not making excuses for him, that simply was the nature of the beast ).

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Nope, his abscence wasn't the sole reason the Steelers struggled in 2009, they were beat up all over the place. It's never that simple as one Safety missing from the lineup causing the entire team to collapse. Not having him didn't help, but he's missed time this year, and the Steelers have been able to carry on.

Let's see what happens in the Super Bowl without their starting Center against the Packers.

The weakest part of the Steelers team is their o-line and they are in the SB.

The reality is there are a number of ways to build a successful team. The GM determines what is more important to that specific team.

One thing both SB teams have in common is stout defenses. I do agree we need help on Offense but a stout defense will help us go further into the playoffs and contend for Super Bowls.

Quote Originally Posted by Jrudi View Post
    The weakest part of the Steelers team is their o-line and they are in the SB.
    The Steelers O-Line problems are due to injuries & they've had a fair share of luck in both their playoff wins, as well as the other teams shooting themselves in the foot.

The reality is there are a number of ways to build a successful team. The GM determines what is more important to that specific team.
    So what? That doesn't mean they're always right or even have the credentials to be there to begin with. Often times, 2 or 3 high schools kids using a Ouija board can do a better job drafting & managing player personell than some of the GM's I've seen over the years. See Matt Millen. The best GM in Chiefs history was Don Klosterman. He had a track record few could match & I'll bet money that he would not have taken a Safety over a superb pass-blocking LT at #5 in the draft.

One thing both SB teams have in common is stout defenses. I do agree we need help on Offense but a stout defense will help us go further into the playoffs and contend for Super Bowls.
    That's absolute bullsh!t !! The Chiefs defense played well enough for them to win that playoff game against the Ravens. They were on the field way too much in the 2nd half due to Offensive ineptitude --- 4 turnovers in 3rd quarter and -23 yards in total Offense after that 4th down play that got stuffed, and last, but certainly not least, the inability to protect the passer when the Ravens knew the Chiefs had to throw the ball. No defense is going to win any championships when you have those type of Offensive statistics.

You have to have BOTH Offense and Defense, and both the Packers and Steelers have had just enough of both to get them where they are.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 01-30-2011 at 09:25 PM.

Safety play wasn't all that dramatically much better in 2010. The real reason for Defensive improvement was a revamped Defensive front 7 that a did a much better job at stopping the run & rushing the passer. Try putting Berry & Lewis with the 2009 front 7 that was like a sieve and the results would be marginal at best, if any at all.
    C'mon, plays of 40 yards or more were cut in half (20 to 10) and there were no run plays over 40 yards. Sure the front 7 helps too, but the main point is the back end wasn't getting beat. I mean, it's safe to assume that most plays of 40 yards or more resulted in scores as well...That's 70 more points, which takes the Chiefs from the top 10 in scoring defense, to the bottom 10. My only point is that Eric Berry was not a bad pick at all and he's had a very positive impact on the defense.

Nope, his abscence wasn't the sole reason the Steelers struggled in 2009, they were beat up all over the place. It's never that simple as one Safety missing from the lineup causing the entire team to collapse. Not having him didn't help, but he's missed time this year, and the Steelers have been able to carry on.

Let's see what happens in the Super Bowl without their starting Center against the Packers.
    Of course it wasn't the sole reason, but it was the main reason. In games he played their defense averaged 13.8 points against and they were 4-1. In games he didn't play their defense averaged 23.2 points against and they were 5-6. Everyone was talking about this last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    C'mon, plays of 40 yards or more were cut in half (20 to 10) and there were no run plays over 40 yards. Sure the front 7 helps too, but the main point is the back end wasn't getting beat. I mean, it's safe to assume that most plays of 40 yards or more resulted in scores as well...That's 70 more points, which takes the Chiefs from the top 10 in scoring defense, to the bottom 10. My only point is that Eric Berry was not a bad pick at all and he's had a very positive impact on the defense.
    Correction, Berry had a slight impact on the Defense & he wasn't the best pick -- that's my point. A lot of times in Pass Defense he was a pigeon & was nowhere close to being the player he was hyped up to be in that area. Perhaps he'll be better in that in his 2nd year -- we'll see. The biggest & most positive impact on Defense was from Coach Crennell and his assistants. Also the schedule was much easier than the previous year, now wasn't it? Not going to have that luxury in 2011 and they're going to need help from the Offense in the form of being able to move the ball and score points -- and that will start up front with the O-Line.

Of course, if people want to rest their laurels on the smoke and mirrors of 2010, then by all means write letters to Pioli asking him to ignore the O-Line in the upcoming draft & if he listens to you -- and I suspect he might -- well then I hope everybody grinds their teeth & feels great from the frustration of seeing the Chiefs Offense continually turn the ball back over to the other team with the Defense spending the greater majority of the game on the field.

THINK BALANCE BETWEEN THE TWO PLATOONS -- and right now the Offensive needs are greater than the Defensive needs.

Of course it wasn't the sole reason, but it was the main reason. In games he played their defense averaged 13.8 points against and they were 4-1. In games he didn't play their defense averaged 23.2 points against and they were 5-6. Everyone was talking about this last year.
    And how many of those games during that stretch did they allow kick returns for TD's to inflate that 23.2 average? Including their game at KC? It wasn't the main reason, it was part of it to an extent. What about this season, when he wasn't there? And the game against NE when he was?

Bringing Polamalu into the discussion regarding Berry is ludicrous. Two different players, two different men, from two different walks of life, playing for 2 different teams.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 01-30-2011 at 10:26 PM.

Correction, Berry had a slight impact on the Defense & he wasn't the best pick -- that's my point. A lot of times in Pass Defense he was a pigeon & was nowhere close to being the player he was hyped up to be in that area. Perhaps he'll be better in that in his 2nd year -- we'll see. The biggest & most positive impact on Defense was from Coach Crennell and his assistants. Also the schedule was much easier than the previous year, now wasn't it? Not going to have that luxury in 2011 and they're going to need help from the Offense in the form of being able to move the ball and score points -- and that will start up front with the O-Line.

Of course, if people want to rest their laurels on the smoke and mirrors of 2010, then by all means write letters to Pioli asking him to ignore the O-Line in the upcoming draft & if he listens to you -- and I suspect he might -- well then I hope everybody grinds their teeth & feels great from the frustration of seeing the Chiefs Offense continually turn the ball back over to the other team with the Defense spending the greater majority of the game on the field.

THINK BALANCE BETWEEN THE TWO PLATOONS -- and right now the Offensive needs are greater than the Defensive needs.
    Agree, but if the best player available at 21 is a defensive guy at a position we need, by all means we should grab him.

Agree, but if the best player available at 21 is a defensive guy at a position we need, by all means we should grab him.
    I really don't believe that will be the case. More likely, you'll see Offensive and Defensive players pretty much grouped together as far as ratings of BPA go at that spot. Plus, it wouldn't surprise me if anywhere to 12-15 Defensive players come off the board in the 1st 20 picks. Of course, if the top 3 OT's & WR's are off the board & you have some stellar pass rushers that are still there, then common sense and logic would have you take one of those guys & the Chiefs do need one.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 01-30-2011 at 10:43 PM.

And how many of those games during that stretch did they allow kick returns for TD's to inflate that 23.2 average? Including their game at KC? It wasn't the main reason, it was part of it to an extent. What about this season, when he wasn't there? And the game against NE when he was?

Bringing Polamalu into the discussion regarding Berry is ludicrous. Two different players, two different men, from two different walks of life, playing for 2 different teams.
    Yeah 92 total tackles is just a small impact on the defense. I mean it only landed him as the 2nd leading tackler on the team behind DJ with 121.

I mean Polamalu could get 92 tackles in his sleep... Oh yeah he only had 38 Total tackles his rookie year.

Actually comparing Berry's rookie stats to a certain person with the last name of Reed look pretty similar.

Berry: 92 Total Tkls, 77 solo; 15 assists, 2 scks, 13 passes defended; 4int's, 1 TD, 54 yd long int return.

Reed: 85 Total Tkls; 71 solo; 14 assists; 1 sck, 12 passes defended; 5 int's; 59 yd long int return.

Pretty similar, sounds like a small impact to our D to me too. I think we should just get rid of him and bring Pollard back.

Yeah 92 total tackles is just a small impact on the defense. I mean it only landed him as the 2nd leading tackler on the team behind DJ with 121.

I mean Polamalu could get 92 tackles in his sleep... Oh yeah he only had 38 Total tackles his rookie year.

Actually comparing Berry's rookie stats to a certain person with the last name of Reed look pretty similar.

Berry: 92 Total Tkls, 77 solo; 15 assists, 2 scks, 13 passes defended; 4int's, 1 TD, 54 yd long int return.

Reed: 85 Total Tkls; 71 solo; 14 assists; 1 sck, 12 passes defended; 5 int's; 59 yd long int return.

Pretty similar, sounds like a small impact to our D to me too. I think we should just get rid of him and bring Pollard back.
    And how many TD passes given up? Did you see the Pro Bowl yesterday? I did and he clearly looked like he didn't belong.

Funny you should mention Pollard as he looks like a Pollard clone to me.

You can worship him all you want to, but he's got a long ways to go to prove that he was worth the #5 overall pick in the draft. He's got talent & he's got potential, but as of right now, he's way over-hyped.

Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast