Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: What Are Our Needs In The Draft.

Default What Are Our Needs In The Draft.

IMO this was an interesting article.

Biggest need in Draft?

by Special K on Jan 25, 2011 3:34 PM CST

Many fans have already posted their draft thoughts. Most want the Chiefs to select either an offensive lineman or a defensive lineman or linebacker. Those are definitely areas that could use an upgrade. However, I’m betting (conditionally) that we select a WR. Here’s why:
    Our center(s) are on the light side for the position, and adept at the zone-blocking scheme. Big, physical NT’s have given Wiegmann problems. However, while not an area of strength on this team, our center play has been adequate. An upgrade would certainly help. Richardson took over for O’Callaghan after an injury, and held the RT job the remainder of the season. At various times this season, most of us felt some frustration with Richardson’s play, or focus. Again, however, he played, for the most part, at a barely adequate level (as compared to Jordan Black a few years ago). Our NT, Edwards, played better than last year. Shaun Smith, whom we suspected was brought in to help at NT, provided adequate play at DE. Andy Studebaker saw significant playing time at OLB, spelling Vrabel. His play wasn’t especially noteworthy, but again, he adequately manned the position. The same can be said of Belcher at ILB. What do all the afore-mentioned players have in common? They all played their positions at least adequately! We weren’t beating the bushes trying to find a center, a RT, a NT, an OLB, or an ILB. The same can’t be said of the #2 WR position.
    When the Chiefs resigned Chambers last off season, most Chiefs’ fans heaved a sigh of relief. Chambers had joined the team in the latter stages of the ’09 season, and had been significantly productive, when the Chiefs needed it most. We were sure he would team with Bowe this season to give us the best 1-2 WR corps we’ve have in some time. Unfortunately, apparently San Diego knew more about Chambers than we did. It is worth noting than he was inactive several games this season when healthy. The most glaring fact is that the Chiefs signed a WR (Kevin Curtis) off the streets 4 days before their play-off game, and made him active for the game, rather than Chambers! It is worth noting that the Chiefs could not muster even adequate play from a WR not named Bowe. Those who disagree with my analysis will note that Urban was on IR all season. However, I view him as a possession receiver, the guy who comes in in 4-receiver sets. Anyway, I’ll bet Haley & Pioli wish they hadn’t put Urban on IR.
    WR has to be the #1 personnel priority this off-season. I really hope there is a quality WR or two on the FA list, that FA goes the way it has in the past (W/O a CBA agreement), and that we can sign said WR. However, until we have another quality WR under contract, I have to assume that WR is at the top of our draft needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    Probably so; but then I have no real idea what our most glaring needs are, so I'll post the opinion of others so they look stupid and not me.
    You should post the opinions of sane people.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    You should post the opinions of sane people.

I just figured that someone in CBS Sports was sane.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345