Thread: From Espn's Rumor Central

Default From Espn's Rumor Central

Chiefs going D in Round 1?

10:52AM ET
    Kansas City Chiefs

Though the Kansas City Chiefs have needs at wide receiver and on the offensive line, Adam Teicher of the Kansas City Star writes that they may use their first pick on the defensive side of the ball instead.
    The Chiefs can use the help on defense, but another factor is the way this current draft class is shaping up. When it comes to the WR position, the top two players -- A.J. Green and Julio Jones -- are both expected to be off the board by the time the Chiefs are up. As for the defenders the Chiefs may be considering, Teicher lists linebackers Aldon Smith (Missouri), Justin Houston (Georgia), Akeem Ayers (UCLA), and defensive lineman Cameron Jordan from Cal.
    In his first mock draft, ESPN NFL Draft Insider Mel Kiper, Jr. had the Chiefs sticking with defense, but going with Oregon State's Stephen Paea while Todd McShay had them taking Smith in his:
    - Tim Kavanagh

Mel Kiper, Jr.

Paea a force in the middle
    "Among personnel people, I find a wide range of opinion on Paea. Some think he's an anchor on the defensive line, a force that could go much higher. Others see some inconsistency and believe he could fall to the second round. He'll be a guy to watch during the draft process. Still, what he can do is immediately strengthen a rush defense. He occupies blocks with great leverage and big-time strength. Paea will do a number on the bench-press. Not a great penetrator but he frees up tacklers and fits this system."

Todd McShay

Smith a nice complement to Hali
    "Kansas City needs a pass-rusher opposite Tamba Hali and Smith is one of the more underrated players in this draft. He's a little undersized for a 4-3 end but is a perfect fit at outside linebacker in the Chiefs' 3-4 defense."

I do like Aldon Smith a lot in the first round if he makes it to 21.

If they do go defense in the 1st round, then I hope they target OT Joseph Barksdale of LSU in the 2nd or 3rd round. Barksdale did not give up a single sack in 2010 in the SEC. He's been labeled as an underachiever, but coming to KC, he would have former LSU teammates, Glenn Dorsey, Tyson Jackson, and Dewayne Bowe to teach him the kind of work ethic needed to be successful in KC. I think he'd be great value for the Chiefs in the 2nd or 3rd round & as I mentioned already, his pass blocking skills are superb and he can play the Right or left side. He's got a clean track record, it's just that he's been labeled as an enigma, but if the Chiefs bring him & get him playing up to his capability, he's the best OT in this draft.

Scratch Paea off that list for 1st rounders. He's undergoing MCL surgery and won't be at the Combine. If they go DL, it's got to be NT Phil Taylor of Baylor. Otherwise get a pass rusher as a bookend to Hali is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    If they do go defense in the 1st round, then I hope they target OT Joseph Barksdale of LSU in the 2nd or 3rd round. Barksdale did not give up a single sack in 2010 in the SEC. He's been labeled as an underachiever, but coming to KC, he would have former LSU teammates, Glenn Dorsey, Tyson Jackson, and Dewayne Bowe to teach him the kind of work ethic needed to be successful in KC. I think he'd be great value for the Chiefs in the 2nd or 3rd round & as I mentioned already, his pass blocking skills are superb and he can play the Right or left side. He's got a clean track record, it's just that he's been labeled as an enigma, but if the Chiefs bring him & get him playing up to his capability, he's the best OT in this draft.

Scratch Paea off that list for 1st rounders. He's undergoing MCL surgery and won't be at the Combine. If they go DL, it's got to be NT Phil Taylor of Baylor. Otherwise get a pass rusher as a bookend to Hali is needed.
    If Paea falls to us in round two (might not fall that far) and we take one of the LB's mentioned in Round 1 maybe we could take your guy in round 3 and a WR like Titus young or Austin Pettis in round 4, and another tackle like Marcus Gilbert FLA in round 5 to battle it out with Barksdale for the RT position?

doesn't sound like a bad line up. and would address a lot of needs. I wouldn't mind any of those players.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post

barksdale would be an awesome pic at that spot

A lot may depend on whether we can pick up a legit WR in free agency. I think it became very clear the week before our playoff game that WR was our biggest weakness. I expect it to be addresses early and often this offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    A lot may depend on whether we can pick up a legit WR in free agency. I think it became very clear the week before our playoff game that WR was out biggest weakness. I expect it to be addresses early and often this offseason.
    Which leads to the obvious question. Will there be FA before the draft due to the CBA issue?

Actually barksdale has dropped to the 4th or 5th rd. He was way high on my list in 2009 but stayed in school. He was the most dominate T coming out of the SEC. In 2010 the moved him to LT and his stock plumitted. I'd love to have him in the 3rd or fourth rd. Another OT to look at in the 3rd rd would be Carpenter from Al. Not great at the senior bowl, but would be a solid RT.

Quote Originally Posted by pbatrucker View Post
    Actually barksdale has dropped to the 4th or 5th rd. He was way high on my list in 2009 but stayed in school. He was the most dominate T coming out of the SEC. In 2010 the moved him to LT and his stock plumitted. I'd love to have him in the 3rd or fourth rd. Another OT to look at in the 3rd rd would be Carpenter from Al. Not great at the senior bowl, but would be a solid RT.
    Same here, regarding Barksdale. If they have a chance to get him in the 3rd or 4th round, it would be a great value pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    A lot may depend on whether we can pick up a legit WR in free agency. I think it became very clear the week before our playoff game that WR was our biggest weakness. I expect it to be addresses early and often this offseason.
    I'd like to see us get Fitz.