Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What Are Our Needs In The Draft.

Default What Are Our Needs In The Draft.

IMO this was an interesting article.

Biggest need in Draft?

by Special K on Jan 25, 2011 3:34 PM CST

Many fans have already posted their draft thoughts. Most want the Chiefs to select either an offensive lineman or a defensive lineman or linebacker. Those are definitely areas that could use an upgrade. However, I’m betting (conditionally) that we select a WR. Here’s why:
    Our center(s) are on the light side for the position, and adept at the zone-blocking scheme. Big, physical NT’s have given Wiegmann problems. However, while not an area of strength on this team, our center play has been adequate. An upgrade would certainly help. Richardson took over for O’Callaghan after an injury, and held the RT job the remainder of the season. At various times this season, most of us felt some frustration with Richardson’s play, or focus. Again, however, he played, for the most part, at a barely adequate level (as compared to Jordan Black a few years ago). Our NT, Edwards, played better than last year. Shaun Smith, whom we suspected was brought in to help at NT, provided adequate play at DE. Andy Studebaker saw significant playing time at OLB, spelling Vrabel. His play wasn’t especially noteworthy, but again, he adequately manned the position. The same can be said of Belcher at ILB. What do all the afore-mentioned players have in common? They all played their positions at least adequately! We weren’t beating the bushes trying to find a center, a RT, a NT, an OLB, or an ILB. The same can’t be said of the #2 WR position.
    When the Chiefs resigned Chambers last off season, most Chiefs’ fans heaved a sigh of relief. Chambers had joined the team in the latter stages of the ’09 season, and had been significantly productive, when the Chiefs needed it most. We were sure he would team with Bowe this season to give us the best 1-2 WR corps we’ve have in some time. Unfortunately, apparently San Diego knew more about Chambers than we did. It is worth noting than he was inactive several games this season when healthy. The most glaring fact is that the Chiefs signed a WR (Kevin Curtis) off the streets 4 days before their play-off game, and made him active for the game, rather than Chambers! It is worth noting that the Chiefs could not muster even adequate play from a WR not named Bowe. Those who disagree with my analysis will note that Urban was on IR all season. However, I view him as a possession receiver, the guy who comes in in 4-receiver sets. Anyway, I’ll bet Haley & Pioli wish they hadn’t put Urban on IR.
    WR has to be the #1 personnel priority this off-season. I really hope there is a quality WR or two on the FA list, that FA goes the way it has in the past (W/O a CBA agreement), and that we can sign said WR. However, until we have another quality WR under contract, I have to assume that WR is at the top of our draft needs.

Quote Originally Posted by pbatrucker View Post

Biggest need in Draft?

Many fans have already posted their draft thoughts. Most want the Chiefs to select either an offensive lineman or a defensive lineman or linebacker. Those are definitely areas that could use an upgrade. However, I’m betting (conditionally) that we select a WR. Here’s why:
    Our center(s) are on the light side for the position, and adept at the zone-blocking scheme. Big, physical NT’s have given Wiegmann problems. However, while not an area of strength on this team, our center play has been adequate. An upgrade would certainly help. Richardson took over for O’Callaghan after an injury, and held the RT job the remainder of the season. At various times this season, most of us felt some frustration with Richardson’s play, or focus. Again, however, he played, for the most part, at a barely adequate level (as compared to Jordan Black a few years ago). Our NT, Edwards, played better than last year. Shaun Smith, whom we suspected was brought in to help at NT, provided adequate play at DE. Andy Studebaker saw significant playing time at OLB, spelling Vrabel. His play wasn’t especially noteworthy, but again, he adequately manned the position. The same can be said of Belcher at ILB. What do all the afore-mentioned players have in common? They all played their positions at least adequately! We weren’t beating the bushes trying to find a center, a RT, a NT, an OLB, or an ILB. The same can’t be said of the #2 WR position.
    When the Chiefs resigned Chambers last off season, most Chiefs’ fans heaved a sigh of relief. Chambers had joined the team in the latter stages of the ’09 season, and had been significantly productive, when the Chiefs needed it most. We were sure he would team with Bowe this season to give us the best 1-2 WR corps we’ve have in some time. Unfortunately, apparently San Diego knew more about Chambers than we did. It is worth noting than he was inactive several games this season when healthy. The most glaring fact is that the Chiefs signed a WR (Kevin Curtis) off the streets 4 days before their play-off game, and made him active for the game, rather than Chambers! It is worth noting that the Chiefs could not muster even adequate play from a WR not named Bowe. Those who disagree with my analysis will note that Urban was on IR all season. However, I view him as a possession receiver, the guy who comes in in 4-receiver sets. Anyway, I’ll bet Haley & Pioli wish they hadn’t put Urban on IR.
    WR has to be the #1 personnel priority this off-season. I really hope there is a quality WR or two on the FA list, that FA goes the way it has in the past (W/O a CBA agreement), and that we can sign said WR. However, until we have another quality WR under contract, I have to assume that WR is at the top of our draft needs.
    What makes me mad is that I don't want to spend a 2nd round draft pick last year and a first round this year on a WR. If I remember correctly the Chiefs drafted McCluster to be a WR so if they decide to draft a WR in the first round it makes me think that McCluster was a bad pick in the draft. What some people don't put in consideration is that there are very very few WR's that come out of college and have huge success their first year or 2. For a WR transitioning from college to the NFL it usually takes 3 years to really develop into a great WR. So us drafting another WR it will take a couple years for him to really make an impact on the field.

There are many good WR's right now in free agency that I checked out. More then enough to satisy the Chiefs needs in my opinion. Check them out. Of course many will re-sign however the Chiefs still have many options to choose from.

Vincent Jackson (SD)
    Sidney Rice (MIN)
    Santonio Holmes (NYJ)
    Braylon Edwards (NYJ)
    Malcolm Floyd (SD)
    Steve Smith (NYG)
    Terrel Owens (CIN)
    Randy Moss (TEN)
    Mike Williams (SEA)
    James Jones (GB)
    Steve Breaston (ARI)
    Early Doucet (ARZ)
    Brian Finneran (ATL)
    Donte' Stallworth (BAL)
    TJ Houshmandzadeh (BAL)
    Rashied Davis (CHI)
    Devin Aromashadu (CHI)
    Chansi Stuckey (CLE)
    Sam Hurd (DAL)
    Jacoby Jones (HOU)
    Mike Sims-Walker (JAC)
    Kevin Curtis (MIA)
    Hank Baskett (MIN)
    Greg Lewis (MIN)
    Lance Moore (NO)
    Courtney Roby (NO)
    Derek Hagan (NYG)
    Darius Reynaud (NYG)
    Brad Smith (NYJ)
    Johnnie Lee Higgins (OAK)
    Legedu Naanee (SD)
    Ben Obomanu (SEA)
    Laurent Robinson (STL)
    Danny Amendola (STL)
    Mark Clayton (STL)
    Maurice Stovall (TB)
    Santana Moss (WAS)

Who do you think we should go after from all these?

WR is a need, no question, but as far as 1st rounders go, I really believe Green and Jones will be off the board by the time the Chiefs pick at #21. I could see the Chiefs trading down and taking Torrey Smith -- great character guy, 6' 1" 205lbs 4.37 speed. Might draw unfair comparisons to Oaklands DHB, but Smith posted way better numbers at Maryland than DHB did. If they're going to take a WR with the 1st pick, try trading down first.

Quote Originally Posted by 2010chiefs View Post
    There are many good WR's right now in free agency that I checked out. More then enough to satisy the Chiefs needs in my opinion. Check them out. Of course many will re-sign however the Chiefs still have many options to choose from.

Vincent Jackson (SD)
    Sidney Rice (MIN)
    Santonio Holmes (NYJ)
    Braylon Edwards (NYJ)
    Malcolm Floyd (SD)
    Steve Smith (NYG)
    Terrel Owens (CIN)
    Randy Moss (TEN)
    Mike Williams (SEA)
    James Jones (GB)
    Steve Breaston (ARI)
    Early Doucet (ARZ)
    Brian Finneran (ATL)
    Donte' Stallworth (BAL)
    TJ Houshmandzadeh (BAL)
    Rashied Davis (CHI)
    Devin Aromashadu (CHI)
    Chansi Stuckey (CLE)
    Sam Hurd (DAL)
    Jacoby Jones (HOU)
    Mike Sims-Walker (JAC)
    Kevin Curtis (MIA)
    Hank Baskett (MIN)
    Greg Lewis (MIN)
    Lance Moore (NO)
    Courtney Roby (NO)
    Derek Hagan (NYG)
    Darius Reynaud (NYG)
    Brad Smith (NYJ)
    Johnnie Lee Higgins (OAK)
    Legedu Naanee (SD)
    Ben Obomanu (SEA)
    Laurent Robinson (STL)
    Danny Amendola (STL)
    Mark Clayton (STL)
    Maurice Stovall (TB)
    Santana Moss (WAS)

Who do you think we should go after from all these?
    The names that are in bold are they guys that I really hope that we go after and I think that they are going to at least listen to offers from other teams. I would also like to have Holmes but I think that there is no way that he is going to leave the Jets.

The two names that are underlined I don't want to even see that the Chiefs are talking two. Both of them would not be the best to have in the locker room of this young football team. They would maybe have a good game or two but they would cause problems in the locker room. They are not worth the trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    WR is a need, no question, but as far as 1st rounders go, I really believe Green and Jones will be off the board by the time the Chiefs pick at #21. I could see the Chiefs trading down and taking Torrey Smith -- great character guy, 6' 1" 205lbs 4.37 speed. Might draw unfair comparisons to Oaklands DHB, but Smith posted way better numbers at Maryland than DHB did. If they're going to take a WR with the 1st pick, try trading down first.
    I would not be upset if they went for him. If green were to somehow someway drop all the way to 21 then I think he is clearly the guy to grab. He would be a HUGE pick up.

Quote Originally Posted by 4everchiefsfan25 View Post
    What makes me mad is that I don't want to spend a 2nd round draft pick last year and a first round this year on a WR. If I remember correctly the Chiefs drafted McCluster to be a WR so if they decide to draft a WR in the first round it makes me think that McCluster was a bad pick in the draft. What some people don't put in consideration is that there are very very few WR's that come out of college and have huge success their first year or 2. For a WR transitioning from college to the NFL it usually takes 3 years to really develop into a great WR. So us drafting another WR it will take a couple years for him to really make an impact on the field.
    One thing I want to say about McCluster's season is that we didn't have the personnel to be able to use his talents. I feel that if we do get a legit #2WR it will open up a lot of space underneath for MC. I think the problem with how we used him this year was that we didn't have 2 good WR's to take the top off the D and create space underneath for him to work with. I think it will be difficult for him to succeed without this help. But for the record he is still Dynamic!

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Agree that Green won't be there, Jone's it is to early to tell, but I do agree that more than likely there will not be a quality stud WR for us to be able to grab @ #21. So I could see them trading back as well, possibly picking up another 2nd or 3rd round pick. If Jones is there I say we take him, if not Trade back, possibly into the first of the 2nd round to take someone like Smith or Baldwin so it's not the "high price ticket of a 1st rnd pick".

I'll let you know after the new CBA is agreed upon, after we sign our OWN free agents and after we go through the first round of top free agent signings... until that happens, this exercise is futile.

Quote Originally Posted by pbatrucker View Post

Biggest need in Draft?

People mostly want a NT or an OT with the first pick I say no ! Most people don't know , but good offensive linemen can be had in later rounds 3-7 . We need another wideout efficient enough to take the heat off Bowe . Someone who can get 800-1000 yards , 60-90 catches and maybe 5-10 TD's consistently for a few years . Go Chiefs !

Quote Originally Posted by Ptah2011 View Post
    People mostly want a NT or an OT with the first pick I say no ! Most people don't know , but good offensive linemen can be had in later rounds 3-7 . We need another wideout efficient enough to take the heat off Bowe . Someone who can get 800-1000 yards , 60-90 catches and maybe 5-10 TD's consistently for a few years . Go Chiefs !
    Centers and Guards, yes. But stellar OT's that can pass-block against the league's better pass rushers seldom ever come from those rounds, especially Left Tackles.

And there's not likely going to be a WR worth taking at #21 anyway. The top 2 will likely be off the board.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 01-28-2011 at 12:51 AM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast