Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First round mock

Default First round mock

A friend of mine and I alternated picks. I picked the odd picks and he picked the even. We're going to revisit, but here's what it looked like:

1.) Carolina - Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn
    2.) Denver - Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson
    3.) Buffalo - Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M
    4.) Cincinnati - AJ Green, WR, Georgia
    5.) Arizona - Robert Quinn, OLB, North Carolina
    6.) Cleveland - Marcel Dareus, DT, Alabama
    7.) San Francisco - Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri
    8.) Tennessee - Cam Newton, QB, Auburn
    9.) Dallas - Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU
    10.) Washington - Stephen Paea, NT, Oregon State
    11.) Houston - Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska
    12.) Minnesota - Brandon Harris, CB, Miami
    13.) Detroit - Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi St.
    14.) St. Louis - Cameron Jordan, DE, Cal
    15.) Miami - Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama
    16.) Jacksonville - Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado
    17.) New England - Ryan Kerrigan, OLB, Purdue
    18.) San Diego - Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio State
    19.) New York Giants - Akeem Ayers, LB, UCLA
    20.) Tampa Bay - JJ Watt, DE, Wisconsin
    21.) Kansas City - Julio Jones, WR, Alabama
    22.) Indianapolis - Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin
    23.) Philadelphia - Nate Solder, OT, Colorado
    24.) New Orleans - Christian Ballard, DT, Iowa
    25.) Seattle - Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College
    26.) Baltimore - Aldon Smith, OLB, Missouri
    27.) Atlanta - Jonathan Baldwin, WR, Pitt
    28.) New England - Jarvis Jenkins, DE, Clemson
    29.) Chicago - Mike Pouncey, C, Florida
    30.) New York Jets - Brooks Reed, OLB, Arizona

I agree about Arizona to some extent, but they also have a huge need for a pass rusher. When you run a 3-4 D and your DE's have more sacks than your OLB's, something is wrong. Joey Porter is way past his prime.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    I agree about Arizona to some extent, but they also have a huge need for a pass rusher. When you run a 3-4 D and your DE's have more sacks than your OLB's, something is wrong. Joey Porter is way past his prime.
    I forgot Joey Porter still played football

Patrick Peterson may not make it out of the top 2, much less the top 5.

The Saints pick looks spot on however - another wasted 1st round! I swear, for as well as the Saints draft in all other rounds, they'd be better off using a magic 8 ball in the 1st ( and yes, Jenkins sucks - he's getting a lot of hype for 1 play + 1 game this year ).

I can see KC going WR, O-line, or NT. Julio would be awesome, but would probably have to move up ( a lot ) to get him.

Quote Originally Posted by kcred View Post
    With all the chiefs needs this off season. It would be in the chiefs best interest to pick up a wr thru free ageny. Most wr taken in the draft don't make impact their first yr. That is afact d end at 21. 2nd pick. D tackle Muhammad wilckerson. Temple. This kid can start from day one and has the highest ceiling in the draft. He can be as good as Sue in 3yrs. Check him outout

i hope you dont mean 3-4 DE in the 1st-that would just be ridiculous

wilkerson is too small to play NT in the 3-4...he would be a 4-3 DT and does not fit our scheme

Jones may not fall to 21, but again I cite Dez Bryant last year. I realize he had some character issues, but in general teams are hesitant to take WRs early. It is a difficult position to evaluate for a scout.

The way this mock draft played out, I can't really argue too heavily against any of the picks. It's very defensive heavy, but there seems to be a lot of talent this year at DE/OLB.

You know you are right. WR is one position that nearly every year seems to slip further from where they are projected. Seems like the #1 ranked is usually on but that 2nd rated seems to always slip.

Dez Bryant, Micheal Crabtree, DeSean Jackson, Percy Harvin etc.

I hope he falls to us!

Quote Originally Posted by Jrudi View Post
    You know you are right. WR is one position that nearly every year seems to slip further from where they are projected. Seems like the #1 ranked is usually on but that 2nd rated seems to always slip.

Dez Bryant, Micheal Crabtree, DeSean Jackson, Percy Harvin etc.

I hope he falls to us!
    I think we were under the assumption in this mock also that teams would draft based on "need", not on "best player available." Of course, that isn't the case all the time.

Someone else mentioned Patrick Peterson slipping in this mock. I agree that he will probably go higher, but can't really argue against the guys that are gone before him b/c each of these teams have a need and get a solid player to fill that need.

I think we were under the assumption in this mock also that teams would draft based on "need", not on "best player available." Of course, that isn't the case all the time.

Someone else mentioned Patrick Peterson slipping in this mock. I agree that he will probably go higher, but can't really argue against the guys that are gone before him b/c each of these teams have a need and get a solid player to fill that need.
    Agreed.

Just because a player is rated #10 overall doesn't mean that lets say the Cowboys because they have pick 10 will select them. They may have the position filled already and look to a best available need.

Denver goes CB
    They don't even have a starting cb right now
    Peterson goes #2

SF Looks to sign veteran QB
    It"s 2 high to select any QB

Paea is a favorite of yours
    He does"nt go that high- several other DT rated higher and with Shanahan they may trade down or surprise everyone and select Locker this high. He's a Shanahan QB for sure

Sherrod first OT selected.
    It's not going to happen he's aRT only(possibly G)

Julio Jones. I'ld take that. Could fall easily. Interviews and his workout at the combine will not increase his stock. Drops way to many balls. Questions if he can get off the line of scrimmage.

I would take Solderat #21 with players still available.

31)Pitts- Tyron Smith(OT)
    32)GB- Cory Liuget-DT

Quote Originally Posted by stevefuller View Post
    Denver goes CB
    They don't even have a starting cb right now
    Peterson goes #2
    Definitely a possibility. I could them franchising Bailey for a year though and grab Bowers to place him across from Dumervil.

SF Looks to sign veteran QB
    It"s 2 high to select any QB
    Maybe so, but with Harbaugh in his 1st year, I'm not putting it past him to get a QB in the draft and why not go with perhaps the most pro-ready guy. Maybe it's too high but was there every a time when QBs didn't come off in the top 10? Teams look to grab the best of the crop and build them into franchise QBs.

Paea is a favorite of yours
    He does"nt go that high- several other DT rated higher and with Shanahan they may trade down or surprise everyone and select Locker this high. He's a Shanahan QB for sure
    I didn't pick the even picks, just the odd ones. I don't necessarily agree with this either, but Washington does have a big need for a 3-4 NT.

Sherrod first OT selected.
    It's not going to happen he's aRT only(possibly G)
    Just watching Sherrod and the other LT's, he's the best all-around blocker of the crop in my opinion. He doesn't do one thing particularly well, but he's perfect to get work at RT in year 1 for the Lions, and then Backus becomes a free agent make the switch to LT. Regardless, they have to protect Stafford.

I would take Solderat #21 with players still available.
    Ehh, he's another Branden Albert. Great run blocker, shotty in pass coverage. Pretty raw at this point.

I can't even believe Blaine Gabbert is even mentioned in the first round.
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast