Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chiefs Promote O-line Coach Bill Muir to Offensive Coordinator

Default Chiefs Promote O-line Coach Bill Muir to Offensive Coordinator

So it sounds like Haley stayed within the organization and went with Offensive line coach Bill Muir as his offensive coordinator.

I'm not sure what to think. He was an offensive coordinator for the buccaneers from 2002-2008, certainly not stellar offenses. Sounds like a guy that Haley can have more control over as to how the offense runs.

Source: http://twitter.com/mortreport/status/33214694516858880

I just think it is a jinx going with a guy that has worked with the Detroit Lions...
    I will give him a year I mean Haley just really wanted a guy to agree with him and he got it. Now if we end up with less than 8-8 I will demand his head (probably Cassel too depending on my mood hehe).

Quote Originally Posted by LlamaNinja View Post
    I just think it is a jinx going with a guy that has worked with the Detroit Lions...
    I will give him a year I mean Haley just really wanted a guy to agree with him and he got it. Now if we end up with less than 8-8 I will demand his head (probably Cassel too depending on my mood hehe).
    Looking at our schedule and not knowing who we are going to get in the draft to help our team out, I just dont think you can put an expectation on the Chiefs just yet, I'm not trying to be a downer but don't let the Chiefs record this season fool you. I mean we were good enough to beat teams that we were suppose to beat, but the schedule we had this year was a lot easier than the schedule we are going to have next year, and the Chiefs still have a lot of holes to fill before we are a great team making a run deep into the playoffs. So I will wait and see what the Chiefs do during the offseason in the draft and Free Agency before I start saying my expectations and off with Haley and Cassel's head.

The only problem I have with this. Is the fact he is ancient. The guy is past retirment age. The stress of filling the role as OC could be taxing on him and we could be talkinga bout his replacement again next year.

One positive from this promotion is that the system won't change. It will be nice for Cassell to not have to learn a new system and terminology for next season.

I'm sure Haley will be calling plays on Sunday's but the good thing is he hopefully won't been in ALL of the Offensive game-planning meetings that took so much time away from being the head coach in his first season.

I still think Haley had his hands in more of the play calling this year than what was portrayed to the general public. I think that is part of the reason for Weis leaving. So hopefully some of the successful outings the offense had this year was due to some of Haley's play calling, if that is the case hopefully we don't have to worry.

I think the bigger hire will be the QB coach. Losing Weis is actually going to affect the passing as well as Cassel's development IF KC doesn't hire someone with a great passing history.

Obviously Todd Haley likes to have a gameplan by association. I think that the offense can still be great with Muir. To be honest, the title of Offensive Coordinator varies with different teams. Some teams rely on the OC for everything and some teams have the OC gameplan and the coach has the final say. I think the latter will be KC's plan but I think Carthon, Muir, Haley and whoever the QB coach will be can create a potent offensive gameplan from week to week.

On another note, I thought KC would get an assistant from GB or Pitt as the OC. Still could get one after the SB.

Quote Originally Posted by tornadospotter View Post
    I am not sure what I think. I will take a wait and see position, but admit that I am not all that positive about this move.
    My feelings also. Haley will have trouble finding a long-term OC having some independent input on offensive game planning and play calling. Actually, Muir is a good fit with Haley. But whether this move is the long term solution for the Chiefs in thier goal of winning the superbowl - I'm not so sure.
    If you guys like Haley - if you think he will win us a superbowl - then this move might be ok with you.
    If you might think Haley is not the answer for us winning the big one - you may not like this hire.
    I'm not real excited with this hire.
    SHUT IT

Quote Originally Posted by Bike View Post
    My feelings also. Haley will have trouble finding a long-term OC having some independent input on offensive game planning and play calling. Actually, Muir is a good fit with Haley. But whether this move is the long term solution for the Chiefs in thier goal of winning the superbowl - I'm not so sure.
    If you guys like Haley - if you think he will win us a superbowl - then this move might be ok with you.
    If you might think Haley is not the answer for us winning the big one - you may not like this hire.
    I'm not real excited with this hire.
    I am a 'tweener. He has definitely earned a great deal of my respect. But I am not supremely confident that he is going to win us a Super Bowl just yet.

As for his choice to be HC and OC.... I have some deep reservations about the decision. But I am not going to be hasty in making a judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    I am a 'tweener. He has definitely earned a great deal of my respect. But I am not supremely confident that he is going to win us a Super Bowl just yet.

As for his choice to be HC and OC.... I have some deep reservations about the decision. But I am not going to be hasty in making a judgement.
    Yeah. They were just saying that McCarthy calls all of Green Bays offensive plays. So it can be done...
    SHUT IT

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123