Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Owners Walk Away From Meetings

Default Owners Walk Away From Meetings

NFL owners walked away from the negotiating table Wednesday when the NFL Players Association proposed to take an average of 50 percent of all revenue generated by the league, according to player sources.

Future Of The League

In a guest column, NFL rep Greg Aiello outlines the league's problems with the CBA and ways to fix the system as the game moves forward. Story
    With the CBA expiring on March 3, NFLPA executive George Attallah breaks down how the players and the union view the crucial talks. Story
    Sando: 10 things to know
    NFL Labor: Topics page

NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith briefed club player representatives in a conference call on Wednesday night, detailing his version of the abbreviated session that fell far short of the seven hours that was scheduled between the two sides in an effort to reach a new collective bargaining agreement before it expires at midnight March 4.
    Consequently, a five-hour second negotiating session scheduled for Thursday was canceled and no further meetings have been proposed.
    Wednesday's meeting in Washington started off badly, one source said, when the owners' negotiating team interpreted the union's proposal of a 49-to-51 percent take as "total revenue" instead of the union's intended percentage take of "all revenue."
    At the current revenue levels, "total revenue" has been defined as an estimated $9 billion gross, minus a $1 billion credit in the owners' favor. In the current CBA deal about to expire, the union's share has been estimated around 60 percent of $8 billion, once the $1 billion credit was subtracted.
    Owners have asked for an additional $1 billion credit -- or $2 billion in total -- before it splits "total revenue" with players.
    Smith has stated that the union would need to examine all of the owners' financial books before it would accept a substantial reduction in allowing the additional $1 billion in credits.
    To simplify talks, a player source said the union told the owners' negotiating team that it will forgo its request to examine the league's financial books by simply taking the flat 50 percent cut of "all revenue," which would eliminate $1 billion-to-$2-billion credits off the top and erase the definition of "total revenue."
    A union source said that if the NFLPA accepted the owners' current proposal, it would receive a little more than 40 percent all revenue.
    Smith said in an interview with ESPN last week that a 40-to-42 percent share of all revenue would represent the smallest percentage of players' share by any professional sports union.
    In addition to the flat 50 percent share of all revenue, players are willing to grant additional credits to any franchise that reinvests in stadium improvement, a mechanism to incentivize clubs to grow revenues, a players source said.
    The union believes by taking a flat 50 percent share, it would eliminate the need to audit every expense clubs invest in order to offset credits built into the current CBA and the model proposed by owners going forward.
    NFLPA assistant executive director George Atallah would not elaborate Thursday, except to say "This didn't just start yesterday."
    NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the league will not confirm, deny or comment on any specifics relating to negotiations.
    Chris Mortensen is ESPN's senior NFL analyst.

I am telling you guys...to much money involved for everyone for this thing not to get worked out. And this year too.
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

So, if I am reading that right, then the owners were asking for $1,000,000,000 (one billion), and the players offered $800,000,000 (eight hundred million), and the owners walked out and shut down all talks?

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    So, if I am reading that right, then the owners were asking for $1,000,000,000 (one billion), and the players offered $800,000,000 (eight hundred million), and the owners walked out and shut down all talks?
    That's pretty much what you read. This is from sources from the players side so I wouldn't put 100% faith in that being true. But it does sound like something the owners would do.

Quote Originally Posted by honda522 View Post
    I am telling you guys...to much money involved for everyone for this thing not to get worked out. And this year too.
    I agree. When it comes time for football I am sure there will be NFL football this year. Neither side is going to want to go a year without makeing money so they will both at some point get on the same page and get a deal done.

Not really. The owners can easily afford to not have a football season. All of them have other ventures that make them a lot of money. Owning a football team is more a hobby for most of them.

That said, this is why they have the upper hand on players. With the average stay in the NFL at 3 years, most players can't afford to not play next year. Sad, but true. The owners, in my opinion, aren't going to budge much because they don't need to.

Default Stadium rotation

I think what they need to do to address the stadium costs is the following:

1. Start a common account each organization must pay into each year to bring the account to 1 Billion dollars (comes to $31,250,000 per team).

2. The common account will be given to 1 team per year for building a stadium, and will rotate through the leage. Inflation will affect the amount.

In this system each team will have a new stadium every 30-35 years.........without taxpayer money. The owners could then tell the players they are taking care of the stadiums, but will need 1-2 more games per year to pay for it.

The owners are ok with not having football for a year because no matter what happens the tv networks are going to still pay the owners 4 billion dollars even if there is no football. Now if there is no football then the Tv networks will pay the owners 4 billion dollars but the owners will have to pay back 3 billion dollars but the 1 billion dollars they get to keep and split up between 32 owners. The owners have realized that a lot of players have been living pay check to pay check and not investing their money so the owners are taking advantage of the opportunity so I can see the players really getting shafted because after its all said and done the players are going to be crawling back to the owners telling them they will agree to whatever just because they will be hurting for money.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    Not really. The owners can easily afford to not have a football season. All of them have other ventures that make them a lot of money. Owning a football team is more a hobby for most of them.

That said, this is why they have the upper hand on players. With the average stay in the NFL at 3 years, most players can't afford to not play next year. Sad, but true. The owners, in my opinion, aren't going to budge much because they don't need to.
    Your right, they can afford it...but they would rather have a season than not. Someone is going to budge....if they don't meet the deadline, I am sure they will come to a conclusion shortly after.
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

Your right, they can afford it...but they would rather have a season than not. Someone is going to budge....if they don't meet the deadline, I am sure they will come to a conclusion shortly after.
    I agree The owner can afford to go one year without football but they are not going to want to. When it comes down to them choseing to make some money or no money they will chose to make some money. I don't think that either side is going to get 100% of what they are asking for now. When it comes time for football season to start I am 99.99999% sure that we will see football.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast