Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chiefs Expected To Bring Back "meat And Potatoes" Offense

Default Chiefs Expected To Bring Back "meat And Potatoes" Offense

a "conservative" approach wreaks of "marty ball". i would even support that if it worked but we have seen the "conservative" approach fail continuously in every playoff game

I think this is more of continuum than a Yes or No thing. I think the problem is if you go towards a nothing but conservative approach.

However, I think the Steelers have shown you can win Superbowls with a smash mouth approach, as long as you don't go too conservative. My sense is this is more what Haley is looking to emulate.

for a smash mouth running game you need an offense line that can push the D line back and get those tuff yards. ours clearly cannot! our rushing yards are on traps and off tackle, so we at this time with this line cannot play smash mouth. that is not to say we still can't have a league leading running team but it won't be up the gut, 3 yards in a cloud of dust football. like it or not this is a finess team unless we make some personnel changes. i don't care how we win as long as we win, and this years sched. will be much harder to win 9 or 10 games. don't be surprised if 9 wins wins the division.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefnut View Post
    for a smash mouth running game you need an offense line that can push the D line back and get those tuff yards. ours clearly cannot! our rushing yards are on traps and off tackle, so we at this time with this line cannot play smash mouth. that is not to say we still can't have a league leading running team but it won't be up the gut, 3 yards in a cloud of dust football. like it or not this is a finess team unless we make some personnel changes. i don't care how we win as long as we win, and this years sched. will be much harder to win 9 or 10 games. don't be surprised if 9 wins wins the division.
    how true! we were 32nd in the league on 3rd and 1!
    Numbers That Crunched … Wednesday Cup O’Chiefs | Chiefs Football at BobGretz.com I am going to continue the campaign for offensive lineman in one of the first two picks of this upcoming draft! We were 31st in 3rd and short(4 yards/less) I would love to have a line that when a defense knows where and when you're coming with a run for 1 or 2 yards there is not a darn thing they do about it! Or give us T. Rich back! I'll keep beating this horse untill it wakes up

I have always been, & will always be, a believer in a 'balanced' team to be a consistently winning team. In my opinion, there are many factors involved for a team to make it to the playoffs & Super Bowl...luck being one of those factors. I'm not convinced the Steelers have proven that one factor, a 'smash mouth running game' got them to the Super Bowl.

There are too many tough defenses in the NFL to rely heavily on a running game to win games. From my perspective, the Chiefs have lost many games over the years, including playoff games, by relying too much on their running game to win it for them. I believe we need both to win consistently...runnng & passing game.

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Quote Originally Posted by Connie Jo View Post
    I have always been, & will always be, a believer in a 'balanced' team to be a consistently winning team. In my opinion, there are many factors involved for a team to make it to the playoffs & Super Bowl...luck being one of those factors. I'm not convinced the Steelers have proven that one factor, a 'smash mouth running game' got them to the Super Bowl.

There are too many tough defenses in the NFL to rely heavily on a running game to win games. From my perspective, the Chiefs have lost many games over the years, including playoff games, by relying too much on their running game to win it for them. I believe we need both to win consistently...runnng & passing game.
    Absolutely! Some teams have gotten it done the "smash mouth" way like the Ravens and Steelers, but more often than not, it takes a pretty good load of balance.

The 04 Patriots were the most balanced team in recent memory, to me at least. HoF QB, great receivers, underrated RB in Corey Dillon. Beyond that, you have to go back to the Rams and Broncos to get that balance.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by chiefnut View Post
    I can't disagree with this. However, if we chose to upgrade the offensive line, then we could become that type of team.

I do think that our rushing success has been more the result of Charles being a freak of nature than us having a great offensive line. Our terrible numbers on 3rd and 1 show that we clearly can't get a push. Also, when you look at it - our best linemen our old and a we are average at the other spots...

you mention the Steelers...exactly what I mean when we need the o-linemen to to get that yard or two when you're 3rd and 1!!Strictly speaking balanced offense here. Steelers were 14th in the league in passing yards/game@225 yds/game and 11th in rushing yds/game@120 yds/game. We look more "balanced" in regards to how we acquired yards. we were 30th in the league with 185 passing yds/game and 1st with 164 rushing yds/game. Overall the Steelers are more balanced with regard to league standings(14th/11th) than we are @ 30th and 1st(pretty big spread). Grant it the Steelers typically have a bigger back and that helps. would a receiver help? absolutely! they have a couple 3 or 4 good ones- Antwaan Randle El, Hines Ward, Mike Wallace, and Sanders looks promising. But with a stronger more depth line the 3rd and 1's become 1st downs instead of punts, or if Haley is in the "mood", a 4th down try. Lagursky did ok, but IMHO had Pouncey been healthy, the Steelers' stairway to seven would have been complete.
    Remember the '93 season? one game away from going to the Superbowl. Lost to Buffalo, who we had beat during the regular season! we were 15th in passing and 20th in rushing-league standing. remember the line? Alt, Szott, Grunhard, Shields, Siglar. Remember the receivers? Willie Davis and J.J. Birden, neither ever went over 52 receptions in a season their entire career. Of course J. Montana and M. Allen were there, which helps. But getting back to the LINE, if you build it, they will come!rant over....

I think a lot of us agree the Ol needs help. IMO we only have two players in hand to do the job. Albert and Asomoah (sp). And then we don't know where those two will end up playing. Unless Albert makes huge improvements this year he will end being at RT or OG. And Asomoah could end up playing OC. Lilja is a pro bowl player against smaller Dl's, but against the big boys, he is not big enough nor strong enough.
    Most of the teams in the AFC had phyical Dl's, We have to get stronger at the point of attack.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast