Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Some Interesting Numbers as We Watch the Labor Agreement Unfold

Default Some Interesting Numbers as We Watch the Labor Agreement Unfold

hey gang,

I ran across some interesting information on Forbes.com that I compiled and thought I would put up here for some comparison purposes.

It all has to do with the amount of money in the NFL these days and where that money is being spent. These numbers are from the 2009 season.

First, a little information about the numbers.

Current Value = The latest value of the team
    Revenue = The amount of gross income the team received in 2009
    Operating Income = The amount of money left over after expenses but before taxes and interest payments
    Player Expense = The amount of money spent on player salaries, benefits and bonuses
    Gate Receipts = The amount of money from ticket sales including club seating
    Margin Percentage = (not really correct here, but works) this is the percentage of operating income against total revenue
    Players Percentage = the percentage of player costs to revenue
    Overhead = the amount of money that was spent on overhead including stadium costs and everything else that it takes to run the team

Ok so here are the best and worse along with the Chiefs in each category

Current Value:
    Dallas Cowboys = 1.8 billion
    KC Chiefs = 965 Million 20th overall
    Jaguars = 725 million

Revenue
    Cowboys = 420 million
    Chiefs = 235 million 23rd overall
    Lions = 210 million

Operating Income
    Cowboys = 143.3 million
    Chiefs = 47.8 Million 6th overall
    Dolphins = -7.7 million

Player Expense
    Giants 166 million
    Chiefs 111 million (we were last in this category)

Gate Receipts
    Cowboys 112 million
    Chiefs 53 million 16th overall
    Raiders 34 million

Overhead costs
    Cowboys = 133.7 million
    Chiefs = 76.2 million 14th
    Bills = 57.8 million

I found this interesting. It looks like the owners could learn a few things from the owner of the Bills on how to get costs down.

Overall, here are some interesting numbers league wide to think about.

All the teams in the NFL have a combined value of 32.6 BILLION dollars

All the teams in the NFL collected 8 billion in revenue for the 2009 season

All the teams in the NFL ended up with 1 billion in operating income. Interestingly enough, this is what the owners have stated they want to keep that amount at.

Players have received 4.494 billion in expenses, or 56.06% of total revenue.

Overhead, or somtimes called operating costs are in excess of 2.45 billion dollars collectively or 30% of revenue.

For those of you who are business savvy, those numbers will mean something to you. For those of you who see that the players only get 56% and really don't know much about business you will think the players should get more. Interestingly enough, with a margin of 13.3% overall, the NFL is healthy, but not getting overly rich.

Putting that in perspective, if you owned your own business in construction. If your company made 100K in revenue in one year, you would have made 13K for your troubles. Its all about volume.

It appears some teams could work hard to get their costs down and save some money, which is another of the owners demands as they ask the players to pick up flights and hotel rooms on their own.

Anyway, I thought this information was interesting. If you want to see the numbers for yourself. You can visit:

#32 Jacksonville Jaguars - Forbes.com and walk backwards through each team from the end forward.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    No you wouldn't but your employer mostlikey wouldn't have locked you out. (chief31 should be proud of me for that )

But the good news the talk is starting to be postive. I am feeling alot better in thinking this gets done late June early July. WE WILL HAVE A SEASON.
    Yes, Yes they would lock you out. As soon as an employee is terminted, most companies removes all access to the building and to their systems. This could be on good terms or bad terms, it does not matter, but when they are no longer getting a pay check, they have no capability to continue working and become a liability for the company.

The players are unemployed until an agreement is in place and allowing the players to come to work increases the risk of Anti Trust Laws in which players are suing the NFL over.

Could I be reading to much into this or could this whole thing be over soon.

NFL denies report that lockout will soon end - NFL News | FOX Sports on MSN

The report is the sides are close to a deal in the denial they only said the deal is not done but did not say they were not close. Add to it that the Goodell and DeMaurice Smith were seen having a "jovial dinner" lastnight. I got a good feeling we are going to end this mess in the next couple of weeks.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Could I be reading to much into this or could this whole thing be over soon.

NFL denies report that lockout will soon end - NFL News | FOX Sports on MSN

The report is the sides are close to a deal in the denial they only said the deal is not done but did not say they were not close. Add to it that the Goodell and DeMaurice Smith were seen having a "jovial dinner" lastnight. I got a good feeling we are going to end this mess in the next couple of weeks.

I sincerely hope you are correct sir!

No you wouldn't but your employer mostlikey wouldn't have locked you out. (chief31 should be proud of me for that )

But the good news the talk is starting to be postive. I am feeling alot better in thinking this gets done late June early July. WE WILL HAVE A SEASON.
    I DID notice that you found a section of the middle ground there.

However, this is how I would have said it...

Quote Originally Posted by tornadospotter View Post
    Do you all know that if I go to my employer and say that I am not going to work, until I have what I believe I deserve in pay, I will walk out. Do I have a job anymore?
    These players do that at the end of each individual contract, and the demand for their talents gets them what they want.

However.....

That is, in no way, similar to what is going on this offseason.

The metaphore would be more of ....

The boss came in and told you to get off of the company property, and have not allowed you back.

These players, nor their union, have gone to the employers with demands. The owners made demands.

You may be willing to watch second-rate schmucks play football, but then, you could have been watching The CFL all along, if that is what you wanted.

I choose to watch The NFL because these are the greatest football players on the planet.

If I were interested in mediocre competition, then I could watch the 89-3 scores of The NCAA, or even High school, or Arena football.

But I don't watch that lesser talent. I, like so many others, am interested in watching the game played at the highest level possible.

I want to see Muhamed Ali, not Joe The Drunk at the bar.

I will watch the best there is, or I won't watch. And that's how the free market goes. Those who tune if to see the best in the world, will not tune in to see scabs.

We want to complain about the greed of the players, and neglect the greed of those who make far more than even the richest player?

Both sides have greed. I see the players' greed when they demand a contract extention, while already under contract, and during every free agency period.

But what I see now, this offseason, is the greed of ownership.

tried to rep this post but said i couldnt. anyway thanks Hayvern

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post

These players do that at the end of each individual contract, and the demand for their talents gets them what they want.

However.....

The boss came in and told you to get off of the company property, and have not allowed you back.

These players, nor their union, have gone to the employers with demands. The owners made demands.

You may be willing to watch second-rate schmucks play football, but then, you could have been watching The CFL all along, if that is what you wanted.

I choose to watch The NFL because these are the greatest football players on the planet.

If I were interested in mediocre competition, then I could watch the 89-3 scores of The NCAA, or even High school, or Arena football.

But I don't watch that lesser talent. I, like so many others, am interested in watching the game played at the highest level possible.

I will watch the best there is, or I won't watch. And that's how the free market goes. Those who tune if to see the best in the world, will not tune in to see scabs.

We want to complain about the greed of the players, and neglect the greed of those who make far more than even the richest player?

Both sides have greed. I see the players' greed when they demand a contract extention, while already under contract, and during every free agency period.

Did you just call Canadians shmucks??
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Did you just call Canadians shmucks??
    Only one of them

Only one of them
    Why dont you get up on a chair and say that to my face?
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Ahhhhh the sweet smell of CAPITALISM!!!! If the employee's don't like the rules of the organization they work for, maybe they should go out and get a real job or better yet BUY THE TEAM!

However.....

What I see is the Greed of the Players from the previous CBA not working for the owners, and the owners then saying we can't continue under this structure anymore. We tried, Sorry.

I have seen this same example in the corporate world. A company contractly owes an employee a certain bonus. However, if they pay the bonus, they will either have to let someone go, or let that person go if they pay the bonus. People either agree to not take the bonus and keep their job, or go find a new job.

Again, The only concern I have with this whole thing, is for our Chiefs. I do not want them becoming the small market no body team like the Royals. Where they have to catch lightning in the bottle through a draft and then kiss that player bye bye once their contract is up. I do not want the Chiefs skipping out on being competitive because they are having to cut budgets due to paying the players more of the profits lost under the old CBA.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast