Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Some Interesting Numbers as We Watch the Labor Agreement Unfold

Default Some Interesting Numbers as We Watch the Labor Agreement Unfold

hey gang,

I ran across some interesting information on Forbes.com that I compiled and thought I would put up here for some comparison purposes.

It all has to do with the amount of money in the NFL these days and where that money is being spent. These numbers are from the 2009 season.

First, a little information about the numbers.

Current Value = The latest value of the team
    Revenue = The amount of gross income the team received in 2009
    Operating Income = The amount of money left over after expenses but before taxes and interest payments
    Player Expense = The amount of money spent on player salaries, benefits and bonuses
    Gate Receipts = The amount of money from ticket sales including club seating
    Margin Percentage = (not really correct here, but works) this is the percentage of operating income against total revenue
    Players Percentage = the percentage of player costs to revenue
    Overhead = the amount of money that was spent on overhead including stadium costs and everything else that it takes to run the team

Ok so here are the best and worse along with the Chiefs in each category

Current Value:
    Dallas Cowboys = 1.8 billion
    KC Chiefs = 965 Million 20th overall
    Jaguars = 725 million

Revenue
    Cowboys = 420 million
    Chiefs = 235 million 23rd overall
    Lions = 210 million

Operating Income
    Cowboys = 143.3 million
    Chiefs = 47.8 Million 6th overall
    Dolphins = -7.7 million

Player Expense
    Giants 166 million
    Chiefs 111 million (we were last in this category)

Gate Receipts
    Cowboys 112 million
    Chiefs 53 million 16th overall
    Raiders 34 million

Overhead costs
    Cowboys = 133.7 million
    Chiefs = 76.2 million 14th
    Bills = 57.8 million

I found this interesting. It looks like the owners could learn a few things from the owner of the Bills on how to get costs down.

Overall, here are some interesting numbers league wide to think about.

All the teams in the NFL have a combined value of 32.6 BILLION dollars

All the teams in the NFL collected 8 billion in revenue for the 2009 season

All the teams in the NFL ended up with 1 billion in operating income. Interestingly enough, this is what the owners have stated they want to keep that amount at.

Players have received 4.494 billion in expenses, or 56.06% of total revenue.

Overhead, or somtimes called operating costs are in excess of 2.45 billion dollars collectively or 30% of revenue.

For those of you who are business savvy, those numbers will mean something to you. For those of you who see that the players only get 56% and really don't know much about business you will think the players should get more. Interestingly enough, with a margin of 13.3% overall, the NFL is healthy, but not getting overly rich.

Putting that in perspective, if you owned your own business in construction. If your company made 100K in revenue in one year, you would have made 13K for your troubles. Its all about volume.

It appears some teams could work hard to get their costs down and save some money, which is another of the owners demands as they ask the players to pick up flights and hotel rooms on their own.

Anyway, I thought this information was interesting. If you want to see the numbers for yourself. You can visit:

#32 Jacksonville Jaguars - Forbes.com and walk backwards through each team from the end forward.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    That's not at all what I have EVER said if you READ my post you will see that.

Just a few of where i say it's both sides that are to blame OWNERS AND PLAYERS. Not once have I said this is the players fault. In fact I have said a number of times the owners are mostly to blame for this whole mess. But I don't excuse the players for there actions witch have also hurt the game IMO if theres games missed.
    This describes, perfectly, how I feel about the whole mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    This describes, perfectly, how I feel about the whole mess.
    If this whole mess does not clean its self up real soon, I may become extremely foul in my choice of language about both groups involved. Due from anger will be my only defense.

Quote Originally Posted by tornadospotter View Post
    If this whole mess does not clean its self up real soon, I may become extremely foul in my choice of language about both groups involved. Due from anger will be my only defense.
    I have, at times, had to impose upon myself an informal ban; before things got ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    I have, at times, had to impose upon myself an informal ban; before things got ugly.
    Do you guys need me to come back to swear and get banned again?
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

The owners and players reportadly talked for 15 hours yesterday. OK, so what on earth could be said in 15 hours of discussions that would at the end of the day, make you think that another day of discussions would get the deal done.

If after 15 hours you cannot get a deal done, then there is little hope additional discussions will bear fruit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayvern View Post
    The owners and players reportadly talked for 15 hours yesterday. OK, so what on earth could be said in 15 hours of discussions that would at the end of the day, make you think that another day of discussions would get the deal done.

If after 15 hours you cannot get a deal done, then there is little hope additional discussions will bear fruit.
    So you assume that the talks are bad just because they lasted a long time? Perhaps they are working out details of a very in depth bargaining agreement. Im pretty sure that stuff does not all get worked out in an hour or two. I think the fact that they are spending this much time together is a sign that they are trying to get stuff done.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Do you guys need me to come back to swear and get banned again?

Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    So you assume that the talks are bad just because they lasted a long time? Perhaps they are working out details of a very in depth bargaining agreement. Im pretty sure that stuff does not all get worked out in an hour or two. I think the fact that they are spending this much time together is a sign that they are trying to get stuff done.
    That is another way to look at it. I do believe they want to get something done, I just don't see how 15 hours of talks can signify anything except they are still arguing.

But I know nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by Hayvern View Post
    That is another way to look at it. I do believe they want to get something done, I just don't see how 15 hours of talks can signify anything except they are still arguing.

But I know nothing!
    You know me, the eternal optimist!!

I am getting closer!
    GET IT DONE, YOU Freaking MORONS!!!!!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678