Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: stephen paea

Default stephen paea

Regardless of his injury, this guy is a beast. At the bench press portion of the combine he just put it up 49 times. That's the most in over ten years. he would look good in red and gold

Quote Originally Posted by 4everchiefsfan25 View Post
    I don't have NFL network so I don't know what they are saying about paea but I mean I would have thought that a dude bench pressin 225 49 times and setting a combine record his stock would rise not drop
    I mean that might help him, I'm not to sure. I just know at the beginning of the off season Mel Kiper had us taking him in round one, but then over the last month I saw he was projected as a mid 2nd.

Lots of time before the draft; his stock may be back up, I Think all of that stock up stock down stuff from day to day is wishy washy anyways. I think if a player is going to be good in the NFL he's going to be good no matter what day it is haha ya know what I mean.

All in all I hope he does become a Chief, and it would be awesome if he did fall to us in round 2 and allow us to land someone like Akeem Ayers in round 1. Wouldn't complain about that!

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    I have seen nothing projecting him to be a NT. I have read numerous reports stating that he is not a 3-4 guy and is best suited for the 4-3. So unless we are drafting him to replace T. Jackson... I would really hate drafting another D-Lineman to fill another failed 1st rounder.
    Are you sure? I have been hearing his name for a couple of months and it always as a NT prospect.

He's just a 300+ lb. Run stuffing machine, anywhere I look for info on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    I have seen nothing projecting him to be a NT. I have read numerous reports stating that he is not a 3-4 guy and is best suited for the 4-3. So unless we are drafting him to replace T. Jackson... I would really hate drafting another D-Lineman to fill another failed 1st rounder.
    We need a "what you talking' bout Willis" smilie. I have seen nothing, anywhere, stating he is a 4-3 DT and everything suggests he is a 3-4 NT. At 6'1" 303 and that kind of strength, that just screams 'hold the point of attack' to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanathol View Post
    We need a "what you talking' bout Willis" smilie. I have seen nothing, anywhere, stating he is a 4-3 DT and everything suggests he is a 3-4 NT. At 6'1" 303 and that kind of strength, that just screams 'hold the point of attack' to me.
    I've seen a lot of the same comparison actually, mostly placing him as a 4-3 DT (and even a few calling him a 5-tech in 3-4). Most of the NT rankings I see have some combination of Taylor then Powe and Fua after him. 6'1" and 303 is a bit small for a 3-4 NT. Most NT's typically are 6'3"+ and 320+. Of course there are exceptions, but most signs point towards Paea fitting as a 4-3 DT.

I think initially people were placing Paea in the NT category, but that talk has died down.

Just 1 example of a site that has him as a 4-3 DT. I realize this isn't "the bible", but here are one man's thoughts about Paea: http://walterfootball.com/draft2011DT.php
    Last edited by Ryfo18; 02-28-2011 at 10:50 PM.

Paea highlights. In this highlight video he appears to get better later in the game.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laPi34hC6UU"]YouTube - Stephen Paea vs. Oregon (2009)[/ame]
    Last edited by tornadospotter; 03-01-2011 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jrudi View Post
    I mean that might help him, I'm not to sure. I just know at the beginning of the off season Mel Kiper had us taking him in round one, but then over the last month I saw he was projected as a mid 2nd.

Lots of time before the draft; his stock may be back up, I Think all of that stock up stock down stuff from day to day is wishy washy anyways. I think if a player is going to be good in the NFL he's going to be good no matter what day it is haha ya know what I mean.

All in all I hope he does become a Chief, and it would be awesome if he did fall to us in round 2 and allow us to land someone like Akeem Ayers in round 1. Wouldn't complain about that!
    He had a bursa sac on his knee that kept him out of the end of the season. That's why his stock has dropped. The only thing he could do at the combine was weigh-in and bench press. Everyone knew he was freakishly strong, but his bench just solidified that. There are still the slight injury concerns, which lowered his stock, but not tremendously.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    I've seen a lot of the same comparison actually, mostly placing him as a 4-3 DT (and even a few calling him a 5-tech in 3-4). Most of the NT rankings I see have some combination of Taylor then Powe and Fua after him. 6'1" and 303 is a bit small for a 3-4 NT. Most NT's typically are 6'3"+ and 320+. Of course there are exceptions, but most signs point towards Paea fitting as a 4-3 DT.

I think initially people were placing Paea in the NT category, but that talk has died down.

Just 1 example of a site that has him as a 4-3 DT. I realize this isn't "the bible", but here are one man's thoughts about Paea: http://walterfootball.com/draft2011DT.php

I know they are saying that he isn't a "nose tackle," but I just have a problem with that. Glenn Dorsey isn't technically a 5-technique defensive end, yet he excelled last year.

I think teams get into trouble when they start drafting the measuring tape and not the player. Paea might not weigh as much as, say, a Terrence Cody, but his weight transfers to functional power at a much higher ratio.

Would you rather have a 335 pound nose tackle who gets pushed out of the hole or a 305 pound guy who doesn't?

Phil taylor might weigh 30 pounds more, but he also is inconsistent, was kicked off his team, and has durability issues.

I'd rather have Paea.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanathol View Post
    Every where I have read, states that they hope he can play NT because they don't want to draft a UT as high as he is projected. While many feel he may be able to play NT, they think it will be a mistake placing him that role as his size and strength is better suited for disrupting an offensive line instead of plugging it up.

I have read that he is better suited to play a DE in a 3-4 or a under tackle in the 4-3.

Now it is my opinion, but this guy screams Tank Tyler. Tank Tyler was the same build and while he didn't put up 49 reps he did put up 42 reps. We tried Tank Tyler at NT, and ended up trading him because he just didn't fit into our 3-4. Maybe Paea isn't Tyler, but I am very cautious of experimenting with a 1st round pick to find out.

I am going to change my mock - I so hope KC does NOT get this guy. Reason? History. Per NFL.com, here are the top bench pressers at the combine:

DT Stephen Paea Oregon State 2011 49 G Mitch Petrus Arkansas 2010 45 DE Mike Kudla Ohio State 2006 45 DT Leif Larsen Texas-El Paso 2000 45 DT Jeff Owens Georgia 2010 44 DT Brodrick Bunkley Florida State 2006 44 G Scott Young Brigham Young 2005 43
    Having a hard time recognizing them? You should - per NFL Network, the top combine bench pressers are typically out of the league fairly quickly. Petrus is in the league as a backup ( last year's class ), Kudla was never picked up by a team, Larsen lasted 3 years, Owens is from last year's class and a practice squad guy, Bunkley has gone 5 ( the most productive of the top guys above ), Young lasted 4.

In other words, the success rate for these workout warrirors is not that good.

i am not overly impressed by the bench press, the next 9 players on the top 10 bench press at the combine since 2000 has tank tyler the biggest name on that list at #8, so upper body strength in the bench press has not translated to success in the nfl.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast