Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: stephen paea

Default stephen paea

Regardless of his injury, this guy is a beast. At the bench press portion of the combine he just put it up 49 times. That's the most in over ten years. he would look good in red and gold

I've been tooting this horn on a couple other threads too but I'll say it again.

Did some research on the top couple of projected True NT's in this years draft like Phil Taylor, Muhamed Wilkerson (might be too small),Kendrick Ellis, and Jerrell Powe.

All but Powe have red flag character issues. Don't think they will waste a 1st round pick on guys with character issues based on how what Pioli says he looks for in prospects.

Powe seems like a guy Pioli will like. Only red flag was academic issues early in his college career, but it was discovered that he has dyslexia and has overcame these issues through tutoring and is on pace to graduate this spring with a criminal justice degree.

He has played in the SEC, was a Team Captain in 2010, has 3 years as a starter, and teammates of McCluster, and Lewis so he might be a nice "fit" as Haley says.

Should be available in round 3, and is big enough to make an impact in the defensive front next year (6'2" 335lbs)

Quote Originally Posted by Jrudi View Post
    I've been tooting this horn on a couple other threads too but I'll say it again.

Did some research on the top couple of projected True NT's in this years draft like Phil Taylor, Muhamed Wilkerson (might be too small),Kendrick Ellis, and Jerrell Powe.

All but Powe have red flag character issues. Don't think they will waste a 1st round pick on guys with character issues based on how what Pioli says he looks for in prospects.

Powe seems like a guy Pioli will like. Only red flag was academic issues early in his college career, but it was discovered that he has dyslexia and has overcame these issues through tutoring and is on pace to graduate this spring with a criminal justice degree.

He has played in the SEC, was a Team Captain in 2010, has 3 years as a starter, and teammates of McCluster, and Lewis so he might be a nice "fit" as Haley says.

Should be available in round 3, and is big enough to make an impact in the defensive front next year (6'2" 335lbs)
    I agree to some extent, but I think given the right player with enough talent Pioli will budge (Randy Moss for example). Only meaning that if the scouts and Pioli decide that Taylor is a "can't-miss NT" (I'm not saying he is), I don't think we can completely rule him out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    I agree to some extent, but I think given the right player with enough talent Pioli will budge (Randy Moss for example). Only meaning that if the scouts and Pioli decide that Taylor is a "can't-miss NT" (I'm not saying he is), I don't think we can completely rule him out.
    I agree and see what you are saying. I have heard Pioli say that he won't rule out bringing in a risky guy (like Randy Moss) but he said that it has to be the right situation, and he said he has to feel that he has a good solid base of a team built, and a solid locker room before he will look into a player like that.

He said last season that he didn't feel this young team was ready right now to be able handle a player like that (wouldn't want that player to be toxic to a young locker room.) When he brought in Moss to New England, they were already a dominant team, with a solid base of high character player, and didn't necessarily need Moss to be successful, it was just a bonus if he worked out and if he didn't they could still be productive without him. I truly think he still feels like he is building this young team and will continue for at least one more year, bringing in high character guys. Then within the next year or so might look into a talented player that has baggage.

Phil Taylor's "red flag character issue" stems from an incident when he was a freshman at Penn State when he and 5 other students broke down the door of a student in retaliation for what that student had done to their friend. exact details were withheld but i think it was a beat'n for a beat'n. Taylor was tossed off the team 2 others suspended for a year. he transferred to baylor and has been a model student since. a severe lack of judgement to be sure, but he seems to have learned from it and it was not like stealing car radios, carrying a gun, or into drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefnut View Post
    Phil Taylor's "red flag character issue" stems from an incident when he was a freshman at Penn State when he and 5 other students broke down the door of a student in retaliation for what that student had done to their friend. exact details were withheld but i think it was a beat'n for a beat'n. Taylor was tossed off the team 2 others suspended for a year. he transferred to baylor and has been a model student since. a severe lack of judgement to be sure, but he seems to have learned from it and it was not like stealing car radios, carrying a gun, or into drugs.
    I read that he was dismissed from the team due to Academic issues and the involvement with the fight. According to sideline scouts.com "Doesn't always give a good effort... Not a hard worker... Conditioning issues, wears down late in games... Gets too heavy, has been as high as 385 lbs"

I'm sorry but if there are any reports like this about a player I can't bring myself to believe that it is the type of player Pioli would want on his team when he constantly talks about High Character, Hard Workers, and Smart Players that Love Playing Football not the perks of being a professional football player. Just doesn't add up for me. But I'll change my mind if I see him bring someone like this in. I just haven't seen it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jrudi View Post
    I read that he was dismissed from the team due to Academic issues and the involvement with the fight. According to sideline scouts.com "Doesn't always give a good effort... Not a hard worker... Conditioning issues, wears down late in games... Gets too heavy, has been as high as 385 lbs"

I'm sorry but if there are any reports like this about a player I can't bring myself to believe that it is the type of player Pioli would want on his team when he constantly talks about High Character, Hard Workers, and Smart Players that Love Playing Football not the perks of being a professional football player. Just doesn't add up for me. But I'll change my mind if I see him bring someone like this in. I just haven't seen it yet.

he dropped 30lbs for the senior bowl and was considered to be dominant in the center and a very hard worker during practice. taylor himself said he would like to drop another 20lbs before the draft. at PSU he was a lean mean fightn machine, it was at baylor he got into shape {pear shape to be exact]. now he is working hard to get back into a good playing weight. his academics were not the issue at PSU, otherwise he would not have made it into baylor. if you carried an extra 50lbs on your belt you would tire later too. i believe if you watch him at the senior bowl vs his baylor days you'll see a slimmer version and be as impressed as the coaches and announcers at his play in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanathol View Post
    I am going to change my mock - I so hope KC does NOT get this guy. Reason? History. Per NFL.com, here are the top bench pressers at the combine:

Having a hard time recognizing them? You should - per NFL Network, the top combine bench pressers are typically out of the league fairly quickly. Petrus is in the league as a backup ( last year's class ), Kudla was never picked up by a team, Larsen lasted 3 years, Owens is from last year's class and a practice squad guy, Bunkley has gone 5 ( the most productive of the top guys above ), Young lasted 4.

In other words, the success rate for these workout warrirors is not that good.

This means NOTHING.

Paea was a first round talent before the bench press. His stock has nothing to do with that. It's icing on the cake. His draft stock is high because of game tape. Don't just look at stats in a vacuum, dude.

Quote Originally Posted by SAPHOJUNKIE View Post
    This means NOTHING.

Paea was a first round talent before the bench press. His stock has nothing to do with that. It's icing on the cake. His draft stock is high because of game tape. Don't just look at stats in a vacuum, dude.
    He's still not a Nose tackle IMO. The Tank Tyler comparison was decent. I've watched the tape some. He'd make a solid DT in a 4-3. Just my take though. We'll see what other teams think come April 28th.
    Last edited by Ryfo18; 03-03-2011 at 09:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SAPHOJUNKIE View Post
    Just on game tape, no he's not. A lot of his hype was from projections, a lot of that coming from his reported strength.

Case in point:
    Oregon State defensive tackle Stephen Paea set a Combine record today with 49 reps of 225 pounds, besting the three players tied with 45, last done by Arkansas guard Mitch Petrus in 2010. Paea's been known for his strength for some time, using his low center of gravity to play with leverage inside. His hustle also intrigues teams, who consider him a solid second-round pick despite a knee injury that took him out of the Senior Bowl last month
    Sorry.

Paea would be a great replacement for jackson but he is not a NT in a 3-4. if he slides to us in round 2 he would be a steal if not we have more important needs for the 1st round. i don't think he will even be there for us at #23 but we need a true NT, a solid LT, a better RT, a staring C, a OLB, a #2 WR, a DE and a backup QB, not to mention adding a S, FB, RB, and more depth everywhere

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast