Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Players Union decertifies

Default Players Union decertifies

Per Chris Mortensen, ESPN NFL insider.

Players union has filed decertification papers in Minneapolis court.

Peaceful renegotiation of new CBA is now a thing of the past. The courts will decide, and there may be no football this year.

Fact if the matter is that most if these players live well beyond their means and will be bouncing checks starting this Friday. The owners know this. The deal will get done once the players start feeling a little pain.

The sad part is that the damage is already done. Everyone in this thread is a little bit salty about the fact that these rich people couldn't figure out to split a billion dollars so they punish the fans by taking away their game.
    The longer this drags out, the worse the damage. Baseball was really popular once too. NBA will be negotiating thir CBA this summer as well. That should be entertaining. Hopefully that league goes away. What a meteoric fall the NBA has taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Fact if the matter is that most if these players live well beyond their means and will be bouncing checks starting this Friday. The owners know this. The deal will get done once the players start feeling a little pain.

The sad part is that the damage is already done. Everyone in this thread is a little bit salty about the fact that these rich people couldn't figure out to split a billion dollars so they punish the fans by taking away their game.
    The longer this drags out, the worse the damage. Baseball was really popular once too. NBA will be negotiating thir CBA this summer as well. That should be entertaining. Hopefully that league goes away. What a meteoric fall the NBA has taken.
    I was very encouraged with the quote from the league. Something to the effect of "There will be an NFL football season".

So long as they do not interrupt the regular season, they can salvage my loyalty.

Cut the season short, even by one game, and you run a real risk of losing me.

And I may well be one of the more patient fans. Look at how TS is taking it, and we still have several months before any games are scheduled.

Every day from here on, that there is no deal, adds to the risk of losing fans forever.

The offer shown by Coach does not help the players' case much either. Not sure how accurate it is, nor what might have been left out of it. But the big issues seemed to have been very reasonable.

It definitely makes it appear as if the players union was looking to decertify.

But then, opting out of the old CBA still has the owners on that same level, of having been looking for a lockout and a long fight.

I may be a union supporter. But that support is not unconditional.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post

I think this too is a misnomer. I agree there are some idiots who probably will be bouncing checks (like one unnamed player on the Eagles who asked his teammate for a $100K loan), but those are the idiots making every other player look irresponsible. Most of them realize they have to plan for their future outside of football.

Quote Originally Posted by tornadospotter View Post
    I have no care for the members of the NFLPA, they did not come to the table in true faith. Prove me wrong.
    You are right TS. They went to the table all along expecting to decertify. They want the books opened up wide and so they can see everything about how the owners are spending the money. Since when does ANY employee group get such things.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Quote Originally Posted by Hayvern View Post
    You are right TS. They went to the table all along expecting to decertify. They want the books opened up wide and so they can see everything about how the owners are spending the money. Since when does ANY employee group get such things.
    The thing being ignored by everyone supporting the owners though, as a friend reminded me today is this:

There was a CBA in place and owners chose to opt out. Plain and simple. We have football IF THEY DON'T OPT OUT.

Quote Originally Posted by wilqb16 View Post
    Interesting thought I had was what if the players banded together and formed their own league? What then, would anyone follow NFL teams with clearly inferior talent? What portion of its share would the NFL stand to lose? At the very least, the owners would stand to lose their virual monopoly.

Not saying that this is going to happen, but I think it shows that both sides have something to bring to the table.

If the NFL tried to lock out the players and break the union, I could see this happening, or the UFL getting much bigger and better much more quickly (as for me, I can't decide if I am a Las Vegas Locomotives fan or San Francisco Bobcats guy...)
    The players would not be able to pull it off. There is no money for it, no leadership for it. Could you see this group of misfits ever getting something like that off the ground? These guys may be smart about playing football, but how on earth would a player run league ever get the likes of Ochocinco or Terrel Owens to do anything?

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

The players would not be able to pull it off. There is no money for it, no leadership for it. Could you see this group of misfits ever getting something like that off the ground? These guys may be smart about playing football, but how on earth would a player run league ever get the likes of Ochocinco or Terrel Owens to do anything?
    Maybe not, but they certainly wouldn't have any trouble having the UFL or CFL taking them. Look back to the days before the AFL merger. The AFL and NFL fought for the best players, because that's who people want to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    The thing being ignored by everyone supporting the owners though, as a friend reminded me today is this:

There was a CBA in place and owners chose to opt out. Plain and simple. We have football IF THEY DON'T OPT OUT.
    Then we have this problem one year later, I don't care if the owners opt'd out. That's like arguing if you should pay a bill for $500 now when it's $500 or next year when you're in the same financial shape and it's still $500. Who cares when you pay?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post

The problem I have with the owners opted out arguement is that they simply took a right that they had in the CBA. We don't jump on a player when they take a right in the CBA why do we have to do it when the owners do.

It's a multi billions business, so hire some high profile marketing company to do all the arrengement. They can even have a loan to start their own league.
    If they are smart enough, they can play in teams with the same players in same or near cities.

Imagine "Columbia Chieftains", playing in Farout Field, red and gold uniforms, with players: Jamaal Charles, Tamba Hali, Eric Berry. I think it won't be as profitable as the real chiefs, but in a couple years they will be back in KC as the chiefs.

Now imagine the real chiefs with no player that you have even heard of, ok maybe Tiki Barber, or some of that kind.

Who is risking the most? Where is the value of this league? I don't think it is in the names of the teams or their stadiums.
    The best Chilean fan.
    Follow me on twitter @ChileanChief

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast