Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 147

Thread: Players Union decertifies

  1. #1
    Member Since
    Sep 2009
    Location
    hollywood
    Posts
    404
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default Players Union decertifies


    0 Not allowed!
    Per Chris Mortensen, ESPN NFL insider.

    Players union has filed decertification papers in Minneapolis court.

    Peaceful renegotiation of new CBA is now a thing of the past. The courts will decide, and there may be no football this year.

  2. #61
    Member Since
    Sep 2005
    Location
    SE Kansas
    Posts
    28,044
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 246
    Given: 436

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    It amazes me to no end that people with way too much money to start with can't get a deal done. I have zero sympathy for any of them.


  3. #62
    Member Since
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Read the name dumbass!!
    Posts
    13,343
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 29

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    F*ck 'em All!!
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

  4. #63
    Member Since
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Read the name dumbass!!
    Posts
    13,343
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 29

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Make the NFL like the real world. Everyone gets paid the same for the same job. Qbs all make the same, RBs all make the same, WRs all make the same. IF they dont like it, get another f#ckin' job.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

  5. #64
    Member Since
    Sep 2005
    Location
    SE Kansas
    Posts
    28,044
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 246
    Given: 436

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    I think a bus load of NFL agents going off a cliff is a good start.


  6. #65
    Member Since
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Santiago de Chile
    Posts
    262
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 1

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Make the NFL like the real world. Everyone gets paid the same for the same job. Qbs all make the same, RBs all make the same, WRs all make the same. IF they dont like it, get another f#ckin' job.
    That would be Cuban Football League, in hands of mister Castro, and all the people will have full access to all the games on TV for free. Ticket prices will be $10 for every seat.

    They have very good athletes, so I don't think that would be a bad idea, except for the owners and players.
    The best Chilean fan.
    Follow me on twitter @ChileanChief

  7. #66
    Member Since
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    14,167
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    Given: 27

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Look at the GB Packers as an example. They are a publicly owned franchise so their records are public. That franchise made $20.1 million in 2009. It isn't like the owners are going broke, they made $20 million. At the same time, that's less than Tom Brady and Peyton. It us also likely less than what Aaron Rodgers will make on his new deal.
    Why should the employees make more than the owner? And if we recognize the fact that the Packers make MUCH more than most franchises(including the chiefs) due to merchandise sales and being sold out for every game. Then all of the sudden you realize that these billionaires are taking on all of the risk for a very small return on their money.

    Look at the bills, jags, panthers, rams, etc instead of the Packers are you quickly realize many owners probably aren't making tons of money and are possibly losing it. Especially when you consider owners like Clark Hunt are kicking in $150mm of their own money to renovate stadiums.
    Also consider that the average NFL franchise is worth roughly $1 billion dollars. So in the example shown above that would equate to about a 2% return on their investment. And that is for a very popular and profitable team. That's a lot of risk for a very small return. Shame on the owners for wanting to make money. All I've sen so far are concessions by the owners. It's time for the players to get this deal done. You won't se the books, because you have no right to se the books.
    IMO, This comes down to a fundamental problem of "Partner or Employee". The players union thinks they are partners. The owners view them as employees. As partners, they have the have the right view the books and a bigger piece of the pie. As employees, they do not. I personally believe they are employees. They don't take on the risk of the franchise. If it loses money they still get paid. The way I know they are employees, not partners, is because they sign the back of the paychecks, not the fronts. The players need to quit being greedy and get this deal done. Does anyone dispute that they are vastly overpaid? Does anyone believe that someone should get paid $25 million a year to throw a football while doctors, teachers, policeman, firemen, servicemen, and our president make only fractions of that?
    The players need to have a Coke and a Smile and the shut the HELL up!


  8. #67
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    2,959
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 22

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Also consider that the average NFL franchise is worth roughly $1 billion dollars. So in the example shown above that would equate to about a 2% return on their investment. And that is for a very popular and profitable team. That's a lot of risk for a very small return. Shame on the owners for wanting to make money. All I've sen so far are concessions by the owners. It's time for the players to get this deal done. You won't se the books, because you have no right to se the books.
    IMO, This comes down to a fundamental problem of "Partner or Employee". The players union thinks they are partners. The owners view them as employees. As partners, they have the have the right view the books and a bigger piece of the pie. As employees, they do not. I personally believe they are employees. They don't take on the risk of the franchise. If it loses money they still get paid. The way I know they are employees, not partners, is because they sign the back of the paychecks, not the fronts. The players need to quit being greedy and get this deal done. Does anyone dispute that they are vastly overpaid? Does anyone believe that someone should get paid $25 million a year to throw a football while doctors, teachers, policeman, firemen, servicemen, and our president make only fractions of that?
    The players ned to have a Coke and a Smile and the shut the F*** up!
    The thing that you're forgetting about, is that this $20M in profit is what's left AFTER the owners/board of directors gets paid.

    The $1 billion number is what they would get paid if they were to sell the franchise. In 2009, they made $247.9M in revenue, with a $20.1M profit. That's an 11% return on investment, AFTER the owners got paid their salaries and bonuses.
    Diehard Fan Living in Packer Territory

    Co-Founder: 2 Mugs Fantasy Football -- a site about and football!

  9. #68
    Member Since
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    14,167
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    Given: 27

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    The thing that you're forgetting about, is that this $20M in profit is what's left AFTER the owners/board of directors gets paid.

    The $1 billion number is what they would get paid if they were to sell the franchise. In 2009, they made $247.9M in revenue, with a $20.1M profit. That's an 11% return on investment, AFTER the owners got paid their salaries and bonuses.
    You don't quote ROI before expenses. I am referrring to the Return on Investment after expenses. In this case it is 2%. Revenue is before expenses and means pretty much noothing. Unless they don't have to pay players and have no expenses.


  10. #69
    Member Since
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Santiago de Chile
    Posts
    262
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 1

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    The thing that you're forgetting about, is that this $20M in profit is what's left AFTER the owners/board of directors gets paid.

    The $1 billion number is what they would get paid if they were to sell the franchise. In 2009, they made $247.9M in revenue, with a $20.1M profit. That's an 11% return on investment, AFTER the owners got paid their salaries and bonuses.
    That's right. Here is why players want to review the books. If a company wants to cut salaries and benefits and keep the same workers, because they are loosing money, it's adequate to show the books to a small group of them to prove their point. Why they don't want to?

    If the owners can find replacements for the players and pay them less, all what they need to do is hire new people. But they can't!!!
    The best Chilean fan.
    Follow me on twitter @ChileanChief

  11. #70
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    2,959
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 22

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    You don't quote ROI before expenses. I am referrring to the Return on Investment after expenses. In this case it is 2%. Revenue is before expenses and means pretty much noothing. Unless they don't have to pay players and have no expenses.
    Right, their profit was $20.1M and they made $247.9M in revenue. That means their expenses were 247.9-20.1 = $227.8M. The $1Billion number is what the franchise is "worth" if it were to be up for sale.

    Just to put it in perspective, the company I work for made around $180 billion in revenue last year, with a 10% profit margin. Our top executive made $10M including bonuses. It seems like most of the owners are doing pretty well if they're making anywhere near $10M, considering they probably generated about 1/1000th the revenue my company does (.001%), and has the same profit margins.

    I'll let it rest for now b/c I get the sense I'm not going to change anyone's minds :). Both sides are at fault here for not getting something done, but I can't put the blame more on the players than the owners.
    Last edited by Ryfo18; 03-15-2011 at 10:45 AM.
    Diehard Fan Living in Packer Territory

    Co-Founder: 2 Mugs Fantasy Football -- a site about and football!

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. NFL Files Suit Against Players Union
    By Hayvern in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 03-19-2011, 12:16 AM
  2. NFL owners could opt out of CBA with union as early as Tuesday
    By Guru in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-17-2008, 04:32 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •