Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Players Union decertifies

Default Players Union decertifies

Per Chris Mortensen, ESPN NFL insider.

Players union has filed decertification papers in Minneapolis court.

Peaceful renegotiation of new CBA is now a thing of the past. The courts will decide, and there may be no football this year.

Quote Originally Posted by tornadospotter View Post
    How much money went into the New Arrowhead? How much of the Hunt family money contribute to the New Arrowhead? Who are the owners of Arrowhead?
    So it was $125M or the Hunt's and $250M for the city. The big difference? It's an investment for the Hunt family, and an expense for the taxpayer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    So it was $125M or the Hunt's and $250M for the city. The big difference? It's an investment for the Hunt family, and an expense for the taxpayer.
    Nice try. Other way around. The Hunt's don't own Arrowhead, Jackson County Sports Complex(taxpayers) does. Don't hate Clark Hunt because he makes money. You should hate Clark if he agrees to a deal where he loses money, because then you would be in jeopardy of losing your Chiefs to another city.

I say the owners move forward and play with scabs. These players know how good they have it.

Here is an excerpt from this article: What Do Athletes Salaries Say About American Values? | Prose Before Hos
    Wake up, people. Take a stand. Not only against athletes’ astronomical paychecks, but against their behavior. Maybe earning $60,000 in a year instead of $15 million will help them realize that while having extreme athletic skill is pretty awesome, it’s not nearly as cool as making a real difference in someone’s life.
    Last edited by Coach; 03-13-2011 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Nice try. Other way around. The Hunt's don't own Arrowhead, Jackson County Sports Complex(taxpayers) does. Don't hate Clark Hunt because he makes money. You should hate Clark if he agrees to a deal where he loses money, because then you would be in jeopardy of losing your Chiefs to another city.

I say the owners move forward and play with scabs. These players know how good they have it.

Here is an excerpt from this article: What Do Athletes Salaries Say About American Values? | Prose Before Hos
    Would you honestly watch that though? The reason the NFL is the most popular sport in America (hands down) is because of the marketability of the players. It's the same reason the UFL or AFL will never be a fraction of what the NFL is.

I get that the average Joe like you and me would love to come close what the players are making, but you can't really compare this our situation. It's completely different because the NFL generates a huge amount of revenue considering the small amount of players it employs.

And we're not just talking about the players playing today. There are retired players living off a $300 a month pension with tremendous health problems. The union is speaking for these people, who made the game what it is today, also. There are great players, like Bobby Bell, trying to sell autographs on Facebook to make ends meet. The players union is also looking out for the needs of those who are long retired (like making a rookie wage scale and giving this savings to the retired players). I realize this is something we'll probably never agree on, so sorry for the bickering.

I'm not saying that the owners don't do good things (like the Hunt family), but in any walk of a life if a companies owners decide to one day walk in and stiff their employees by asking for an extra $1 billion off the top (of about $8 billion in total revenue last year), there is going to be a backlash.
    Last edited by Ryfo18; 03-13-2011 at 12:33 PM.

Would you honestly watch that though? The reason the NFL is the most popular sport in America (hands down) is because of the marketability of the players. It's the same reason the UFL or AFL will never be a fraction of what the NFL is.

I get that the average Joe like you and me would love to come close what the players are making, but you can't really compare this our situation. It's completely different because the NFL generates a huge amount of revenue considering the small amount of players it employs.

And we're not just talking about the players playing today. There are retired players living off a $300 a month pension with tremendous health problems. The union is speaking for these people, who made the game what it is today, also. There are great players, like Bobby Bell, trying to sell autographs on Facebook to make ends meet. The players union is also looking out for the needs of those who are long retired (like making a rookie wage scale and giving this savings to the retired players). I realize this is something we'll probably never agree on, so sorry for the bickering.

I'm not saying that the owners don't do good things (like the Hunt family), but in any walk of a life if a companies owners decide to one day walk in and stiff their employees by asking for an extra $1 billion off the top (of about $8 billion in total revenue last year), there is going to be a backlash.
    If these players choose the nfl career, they do it for the money and if they are too iresponsible to save or invest then its not the taxpayers or the fans problems. Most of these players are big overgrown overpaid crybabies that know nothing about the average person(the person who pays to see them play). These guys would not care if we all lost our homes or died. All they care about is money. If they get hurt, they have insurance. If they don't its their own fault, cause they sure get paid enough to buy it. Many of these players live it up and blow their wealth then they sit around and play the poor poor pitiful me song. They are unappreciative and greedy.

I have been a nfl fan for many years.Seldom do I leave the house without a Chiefs hat or shirt. I work hard and have never taken a taxpayer or government handout. I pay my bills and if I have any left I go to the game. Last season was my first game ever, I didn't have the money but promised the kids.

Now for the owners, they are well educated and serve their purpose well in each of their cities, they run this like a buisiness just like they should. If they are billionairs than I'm sure they, or their daddies earned that title. I'm sure that if they did not own an nfl team they would own some other prosperous buisiness that would employ many other people and serve their cities well. But these overpayed, greedy players would not have the nfl they would have more normal jobs. Maybe it would make them better money managers and teach them responsibilities. And who knows maybe, just maybe they would understand capitalism and realize that if you want to make more money, work harder or get a different job.

I wish we had more billionairs living in this country.

Just my 2 cents. I believe everyone is entitled to their oppinion, so feel free to rip me up.

To me those former players are among the ones that are paying the price for this. But the current players turned down a deal that would have given those former players 82 Million NFLLabor.com EXCLUSIVE: Summary of NFL proposal to NFLPA « I thought the deal the owners offered was pretty fair. Yes the players would have lost money but then they would have got some things to. Like the not going to 18 games that they fought so hard against. It's a shame that the former players pay the price I am sure they could have used that 82 million.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    I think that all employees are entitled to whatever they can get through the common practices of capitalism.

And, since collective bargaining is one of the primary tools of any free market negotiation, then go Capitalist unions.

Funny how so many encourage allowing the free market to speak, until it speaks on behalf of the slaves.

I support capitalism. But only if everybody is allowed to play.
    OMG did you actually use the word "slaves"? SLAVES? are you kidding me?

That offends me, even the lowliest player that never plays a game and sits on the bench makes more than I make if 6 years. You want to call them slaves?

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Quote Originally Posted by Hayvern View Post
    OMG did you actually use the word "slaves"? SLAVES? are you kidding me?

That offends me, even the lowliest player that never plays a game and sits on the bench makes more than I make if 6 years. You want to call them slaves?

Do you bother to ever read anything other that what gets you in an uproar?

This was in response to Coach's comment about preferring capitalism (economic anarchy) over unions.

You want to be offended? Have fun with that.

You are going to be offended at any comment that doesn't bow down to the masters as superior beings anyway. Superior, in most cases, for accepting Daddy's money.

You copped a big attitude and called me a liar in the "Some Interesting Numbers" thread, while you were as wrong as could possibly be, and somehow, you are insulted?

Good. Stay that way.

I couldn't care less what offense you take from subjects that do not include you.

Wake up, people. Take a stand. Not only against athletes’ astronomical paychecks, but against their behavior. Maybe earning $60,000 in a year instead of $15 million will help them realize that while having extreme athletic skill is pretty awesome, it’s not nearly as cool as making a real difference in someone’s life.
    Yeah! How dare these athletes live free? It's a disgrace!

Let's go back to paying them $60,000 a year, so we won't have to bother having good athletes in the game too.

Let's see just what kind of rejects we can get to risk their ability to walk for average pay.

The people who work for a living deserve as little pay as the do-nothing masters can find a way to pay them.

Because, as we all know, the risk of your health, or well-being is nothing compared to the risk of part of a mountain of money that Daddy left you.

And the commitment to becoming the absolute best in the world at your job pales in comparison to the commitment of risking some of Daddy's money.

Capitalism is a failure because capitalists don't even know what it is, or how it works.

Collective bargaining is a staple of capitalism. But capitalists go to great lengths to ensure that their opposition in a negotiation be restricted from using it.

"where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - Ronald Reagan

“Collective bargaining in the years since has played a major role in America’s economic miracle. Unions represent some of the freest institutions in this land." - Ronald Reagan

Here is a copy of the offer the owners made to the players. They offered to meet the players halfway, but the players union walked away.

1.***** We more than split the economic difference between us, increasing our proposed cap for 2011 significantly and accepting the Union’s proposed cap number for 2014 ($161 million per club).
    2.***** An entry level compensation system based on the Union’s “rookie cap” proposal, rather than the wage scale proposed by the clubs.* Under the NFL proposal, players drafted in rounds 2-7 would be paid the same or more than they are paid today.* Savings from the first round would be reallocated to veteran players and benefits.
    3.***** A guarantee of up to $1 million of a player’s salary for the contract year after his injury – the first time that the clubs have offered a standard multi-year injury guarantee.
    4.***** Immediate implementation of changes to promote player health and safety by
    a.***** Reducing the off-season program by five weeks, reducing OTAs from 14 to 10, and limiting on-field practice time and contact;
    b.***** Limiting full-contact practices in the preseason and regular season; and
    c.****** Increasing number of days off for players.
    More after the jump.
    5.***** Commit that any change to an 18-game season will be made only by agreement and that the 2011 and 2012 seasons will be played under the current 16-game format.
    6.***** Owner funding of $82 million in 2011-12 to support additional benefits to former players, which would increase retirement benefits for more than 2000 former players by nearly 60 percent.
    7.***** Offer current players the opportunity to remain in the player medical plan for life.
    8.***** Third party arbitration for appeals in the drug and steroid programs.
    9.***** Improvements in the Mackey plan, disability plan, and degree completion bonus program.
    10.* A per-club cash minimum spend of 90 percent of the salary cap over three seasons.

To me, this who owners / players debate is silly.

All of these people are much richer than any of us will likely ever be and both are greedy, in so far as they want as much as they can get.

Also, both are uncaring in so far as they won't agree to an offer that would help save the jobs of so many "little people", even though they themselves would still be richer than probably 98% of Americans and 99.9% of the world.

Unfortunately, we don't have a culture in this country that cares about the ordinary guy. What do you expect, when governement goes to bat for the top 2% of income earners, who getting rich sending all of our jobs to the Philippines and India, while simultaneously cutting all the rights of teachers making (at the most generous of estimates) $51K in salaries and $30K in benefits.

All of the rich have the power to manipulate and fight through the government and get richer, which is just the game the players and owners are playing.

The rest of us can just "eat cake".

I say that there are plenty of Football Players, that would love to keep playing. Make the lock out permanent for any member of the NFPLA. They did dissolve there union.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast