Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yea or nay on Newton???

Default Yea or nay on Newton???

If you were Carolinas' GM would you take Cam Newton?

you have 2 QB's that were both projected starters last year and neither panned out. you need 2 WR targets for whoever is under center. you have defense needs and need to upgrade you O line to protect your QB as both were harassed last year by defenses. is Cam Newton a sure bet franchise QB worth 40-80 million $. i gotta say know. I would take Marcell Darius and maybe take a QB in round 2 or 3 maybe Ryan Mallet if he falls to 3rd round. Cam Newton is a kid that a team like the pats or colts could take and groom him for about 3 years, or even the cowboys just in case romo doesn't settle down. certainly not a team that needs help right now at QB.

I say no. He has Vince Young problems written all over him.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    I say no. He has Vince Young problems written all over him.
    More like Jamarcus Russel. Definite no.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

another bust in my opinion

I say no! They have too many needs and if possible they should trade for several extra picks, and if no one wants to trade there are guys out there with a lot less risk. Gabbert would be my pick for QB, but WR Green, would be good for them,

CHIT, It would really suck to be a Panther fan right now!

Quote Originally Posted by 70 chiefsfan70 View Post
    I say no! They have too many needs and if possible they should trade for several extra picks, and if no one wants to trade there are guys out there with a lot less risk. Gabbert would be my pick for QB, but WR Green, would be good for them,

CHIT, It would really suck to be a Panther fan right now!
    I don't like Gabbert either and not because I'm a KU fan. The dink and dunk offense that he's used to won't translate in the NFL. If he wants to be successful, he'll have to be one heck of a project for a team that drafts him.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Three7s View Post
    I don't like Gabbert either and not because I'm a KU fan. The dink and dunk offense that he's used to won't translate in the NFL. If he wants to be successful, he'll have to be one heck of a project for a team that drafts him.
    I agree with you that he will have to change and learn a lot in a short time, but Gabbert is extremely smart and has adapted well to every style he has been put in. He is a born leader. I'm not just saying that cause I'm a MU fan. (lol could not resist) IMO he is the best QB in the draft but still not worthy a #1 pick.

BTW I live 20 minutes from the MU stadium so naturely I'm his biggest fan on this board. Just wish he would have played his last year.

everyone i have talked to agrees that they would NOT take newton at the top of the draft, so why do all the so called experts predict carolina picks him??? and i saw last night on espn a sports science experiment w/ von miller....this kid should go #1. his read and react time was 1/3 of a second, he hit with the force of ray lewis w/more speed and a great leap. he can play either LB or S. i was impressed!!

If I'm Carolina I would absolutely take Cam at #1. Let's look back at Carolina last year. Worst in the league in offense, averaged 12.2 points per game. 18th in total defense, really not bad considering their offense could not stay in the field.

With Cam, you get a guy who accounted for 50 TD's last year in college, and who also hasn't ever lost a game. Does he have red flags? Sure, but the Carolina offense needs some life, and what better way to do that than w/ a dynamic player like Newton playing at the most important position. I think it's obvious that Clausen isn't the answer, even given time to develop I don't see him being an above average QB. So if you don't draft Cam, you're still in the position of not having a QB next year, and one more year behind in the development process of a new guy.

Cam should not be thrust right under the helm from day 1 in Carolina though. Give him some time to learn the system and have him maybe get some playing time towards the end of this season. All I know is that if I'm a GM, I'd rather lose my job risking it on a player like Cam where the sky is the limit over playing it safe and watching Cam succeed elsewhere while I'm stuck with Jimmy Clausen/Tony Pike/Whatever other FA you want to try to bring in.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    If I'm Carolina I would absolutely take Cam at #1. Let's look back at Carolina last year. Worst in the league in offense, averaged 12.2 points per game. 18th in total defense, really not bad considering their offense could not stay in the field.

With Cam, you get a guy who accounted for 50 TD's last year in college, and who also hasn't ever lost a game. Does he have red flags? Sure, but the Carolina offense needs some life, and what better way to do that than w/ a dynamic player like Newton playing at the most important position. I think it's obvious that Clausen isn't the answer, even given time to develop I don't see him being an above average QB. So if you don't draft Cam, you're still in the position of not having a QB next year, and one more year behind in the development process of a new guy.

Cam should not be thrust right under the helm from day 1 in Carolina though. Give him some time to learn the system and have him maybe get some playing time towards the end of this season. All I know is that if I'm a GM, I'd rather lose my job risking it on a player like Cam where the sky is the limit over playing it safe and watching Cam succeed elsewhere while I'm stuck with Jimmy Clausen/Tony Pike/Whatever other FA you want to try to bring in.
    If you want to give cam some time to learn, probably a couple of seasons i don't see that happening at carolina. if you spend $80+ million on the teams future he will get thrown in quickly. he only played one year of college football, plays in a 4 wr formation from the shotgun most of that time. was he dynamic, absolutely, but is that worth this gamble. he still has a sub par receiver corps and a porous offensive line in carolina, will he succeed in that scenario, probably not much better than claussen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast