Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stanzi? Really?

Default Stanzi? Really?

I was shocked months ago when I saw Chiefs fans raving about this guy. For my money (as a bigger college fan than pro fan) Stanzi is just plain bad. He is the #1 reason why Iowa won 7 games last year when they were slated for 10-12. I do not get why people are excited about this pick Woulda rather traded it for future considerations. As down as I am on Cassel I'd rather him any day than Stanzi.

Mel Kiper raved about him today on ESPN. He said he believes he'll have the best career out of all of the QBs taken in this draft. He went on record saying that. He believes that in 4 or 5 years he can develop into our QBOTF. Anyway you look at, we spent a low draft pick on him, so it's not like he cost us a lot. He has potential obviously and Pioli certainly has a history at finding late round steals at QB. This was a low risk, high reward pick for us. The ship has sailed for Brodie. It's time for us to find someone else that still has potential to develop. Stanzi is certainly that guy.
    Last edited by captainamerica; 05-01-2011 at 07:52 PM.

I listened to Kiper rave about Clausen all last offseason as well and watched him fall to the second round only to have such a bad year that the panthers wrote him off and picked newton this year.

I do not say this because I don't believe in Stanzi... I don't value Kipers evaluations on talent at all.

Quote Originally Posted by captainamerica View Post
    Mel Kiper raved about him today on ESPN. He said he believes he'll have the best career out of all of the QBs taken in this draft. He went on record saying that. He believes that in 4 or 5 years he can develop into our QBOTF. Anyway you look at, we spent a low draft pick on him, so it's not like he cost us a lot. He has potential obviously and Pioli certainly has a history at finding late round steals at QB. This was a low risk, high reward pick for us. The ship has sailed for Brodie. It's time for us to find someone else that still has potential to develop. Stanzi is certainly that guy.
    I suppose the best thing I can say about it is that it is indeed a low risk pick. My fear is more that we a bunch of stock in this guy for a while. I think he'll be a bigger flop than Jamarcus Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by STLChiefs View Post
    I was shocked months ago when I saw Chiefs fans raving about this guy. For my money (as a bigger college fan than pro fan) Stanzi is just plain bad. He is the #1 reason why Iowa won 7 games last year when they were slated for 10-12. I do not get why people are excited about this pick Woulda rather traded it for future considerations. As down as I am on Cassel I'd rather him any day than Stanzi.
    i love the pick he has the intangibles to be a good quarterback in the nfl. let jim zorn coach him up for a year or two. let him follow cassels leadership.and at worst he will be a very good backup for a fith round pick

I suppose the best thing I can say about it is that it is indeed a low risk pick. My fear is more that we a bunch of stock in this guy for a while. I think he'll be a bigger flop than Jamarcus Russell.

theres a huge difference between 1st overall and 135th pick...maybe you plain just dont like the guy, and thats fine if you dont, but statements like that are silly

how can a low risk pick be a bigger flop than a high risk pick.he is being brought in as a backup need i say more

I understand he played a role in some of their losses last season but I don't think that is a good reason to say that he can't be a good QB. He has the intangibles to be a good QB and his stats for last season were pretty good plus he was a fifth round pick so its not a big deal if he doesn't pan out. Also without him they wouldn't have been slated to win that many games in the first place and they won 8 games last year not 7.

Stanzi was drafted to be a backup qb. Nothing else. Spending a 5th rd pick on a college kid that has played in a pro system is not a bad pick IMO.

I don't think we should read into this too much.... He is coming in as a late round pick to be our backup and if he works out to be more he does, if not no big loss.

Pioli stated that he believes you should try to draft a QB every year in an attempt to develop them. He said he didn't feel like we were in a position to have that luxury the past two years, but now feels like we can start doing this, so don't be surprised to see us start taking at least 1 QB per draft going forward.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast