Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bin Laden Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    I totally understand your reaction, but if everyone starts to feel that way about "bad guys" then we will eventually become what we hate. Sure its easy to say this about Bin Laden, but where do you draw the line? Couldn't the same thing be said of a murderer? I agree that justice was served, but personally I would prefer to be a better person. While I dont really care about how he was killed (sniper, bomb etc...) I think that the US did the right thing by respecting the Muslim faith and burying him the way they did. If too many people start to think "an eye for an eye" then we become the same thing that we hate.

I think we have become to politically correct. maybe an eye for an eye as a hard and fast rule is to extreme but wasting valuable time and resources on mass murderers is just wrong. we continually bog down our judicial system with frivolous law suits because we have overcompensated to protect individual rights. Americans, and yes Canadians are not perfect and expecting us to be perfect as well as trying to show the rest of the world we are perfect is just counter productive. sometimes doing the right thing is not turning the other cheek nor litigating to protect the rights of a specific individual [in this case binladen] but putting a bullet in his head is. as to where to draw the line, all cases are different and reliant upon future moralistic debates. ethics and morals differ from generation to generation and culture to culture. and we can debate this odd infinitum but some people because of their actions just don't deserve to live, bin laden and hitler come to mind!

I totally understand your reaction, but if everyone starts to feel that way about "bad guys" then we will eventually become what we hate. Sure its easy to say this about Bin Laden, but where do you draw the line? Couldn't the same thing be said of a murderer? I agree that justice was served, but personally I would prefer to be a better person. While I dont really care about how he was killed (sniper, bomb etc...) I think that the US did the right thing by respecting the Muslim faith and burying him the way they did. If too many people start to think "an eye for an eye" then we become the same thing that we hate.
    Surely your not comparing Usama Bin Laden to the common murderer. While both are scum, it is not close to the same. You draw the line at an individual who kills one person in the heat of the moment and a radical that strategizes and plots out schemes to kill thousands and thousands of people simply because of his hatred for an entire country and their way of life. This guy got off to easily with a bullet to the head IMO and yes, I am in favor of "enhanced interrogation".
    Last edited by Drunker Hillbilly; 05-07-2011 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunker Hillbilly View Post
    Surely your not comparing Usama Bin Laden to the common murderer. While both are scum, it is not close to the same. You draw the line at an individual who kills one person in the heat of the moment and a radical that strategizes and plots out schemes to kill thousands and thousands of people simply because of his hatred for an entire country and their way of life. This guy got off to easily with a bullet to the head IMO and yes, I am in favor of "enhanced interrogation".
    What about the serial killer then? Hoe about a rapist? Repeat offender child molestor? You make it seem as though its a clean cut issue, but its not. You think there are not other "radical" from other countries plotting war against the US? Are you gonna just go out and shoot them all in the head? Sounds a lot to me like you are condoning the practices.

Please do not misconstrue what I am saying. Im glad Bin Laden is dead and I was defending the position that the US buried him at seas within 24 hours of death as per Muslim tradition. No that him getting killed was a problem.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefnut View Post
    I think we have become to politically correct. maybe an eye for an eye as a hard and fast rule is to extreme but wasting valuable time and resources on mass murderers is just wrong. we continually bog down our judicial system with frivolous law suits because we have overcompensated to protect individual rights. Americans, and yes Canadians are not perfect and expecting us to be perfect as well as trying to show the rest of the world we are perfect is just counter productive. sometimes doing the right thing is not turning the other cheek nor litigating to protect the rights of a specific individual [in this case binladen] but putting a bullet in his head is. as to where to draw the line, all cases are different and reliant upon future moralistic debates. ethics and morals differ from generation to generation and culture to culture. and we can debate this odd infinitum but some people because of their actions just don't deserve to live, bin laden and hitler come to mind!
    You wouldnt really consider prosecuting Osama Bin Laden a frivolous lawsuit would you?
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

You wouldnt really consider prosecuting Osama Bin Laden a frivolous lawsuit would you?
    of course not but my point was that we have become a ridiculously litigious society where everyone wants to sue everyone else while we profess "prosecuting criminals to the fullest extent of the law" we get the "system bogged down so badly w/those frivolous lawsuit that trying a slam dunk case like bin laden ends up taking ten years. not just because of schedualing but all of those lawsuits create a ton of precidents which all the smart lawyers use to expand the rights of the accused and obscure true justice. it truly boggles my mind that absolute proof of guilt can be thrown out because of an improperly worded search warrant so the guilty criminal gets off scott free. why not use the evidence then hand down fines/suspensions to those that did not follow proper procedure obtaining it. i've wondered off topic, sorry but this stuff drives me crazy

I really don't have a problem what they did to Bin Laden I just wish our goverment would have just come out and said we went there to kill him and we did. At first it was there was a firefight and he was killed the more info that comes out about the raid it seems the more it was just our guys fireing the bullets. I don't mind that given who we are talking about I think he deserved what he got I just wish our goverment would have just admited we went there to put a bullet or 100 in him.

If I were in charge I would have really rather taken him alive. This is a guy who said he would fight the U.S. and vowed that he would never be taken alive. You take him alive it takes a little bit of his legacy. It might have been better to do. Take him alive then put him in genral pouplation in Prison. And let the imates decide what happens to him.

What about the serial killer then? Hoe about a rapist? Repeat offender child molestor? You make it seem as though its a clean cut issue, but its not. You think there are not other "radical" from other countries plotting war against the US? Are you gonna just go out and shoot them all in the head? Sounds a lot to me like you are condoning the practices.

Please do not misconstrue what I am saying. Im glad Bin Laden is dead and I was defending the position that the US buried him at seas within 24 hours of death as per Muslim tradition. No that him getting killed was a problem.
    You are correct. I do condone the way UBL was assasinated and yes, I catagorize rapists and murderer's in the same catagory. I believe that child molestors should be given fair mental evaluation and the minute they are found capable and not crazy, they should be put to death. A different catagory should be established for people like Hitler, UBL, Saddam, Kim Jong-il etc.. People who wish bad on others that simply don't believe what they believe. No offense but if this were to have happened in Ottowa Gatineau let's say at the Canadian Parliment Building, having killed thousands of innocent Canadian citizens, you may feel the same as I. Now before all of the god fearing people jump on my case, it's funny how I have not heard one pastor, priest, pope or otherwise come out and begrudge what was done to UBL or the way it was done. In fact, I have watched 2 religious speakers and when asked about what was done and how the bible percieved this type of action, neither would stand on his beliefs and say they disagreed with what was done. Wouldn't even address it straight forward. To me, this is a way of saying while they might not believe in the tactics they do believe it had to be done and are glad the planet is rid of this scum.

I believe in god and the constitution but sometimes there is a rule to every exception. Oh, and I certainly do believe there are others out there that are radicals and wish harm on not only the U.S. but all of North America and the west in general. They should be dealt with in the same fashion if they harm anyone of our citizens. This is my opinion and I believe a popular opinion here in the United States of America. (I WOULD LOVE TO POST AN AMERICAN FLAG EMETICON HERE IF THERE WERE ONE)!

Quote Originally Posted by Drunker Hillbilly View Post
    You are correct. I do condone the way UBL was assasinated and yes, I catagorize rapists and murderer's in the same catagory. I believe that child molestors should be given fair mental evaluation and the minute they are found capable and not crazy, they should be put to death. A different catagory should be established for people like Hitler, UBL, Saddam, Kim Jong-il etc.. People who wish bad on others that simply don't believe what they believe. No offense but if this were to have happened in Ottowa Gatineau let's say at the Canadian Parliment Building, having killed thousands of innocent Canadian citizens, you may feel the same as I. Now before all of the god fearing people jump on my case, it's funny how I have not heard one pastor, priest, pope or otherwise come out and begrudge what was done to UBL or the way it was done. In fact, I have watched 2 religious speakers and when asked about what was done and how the bible percieved this type of action, neither would stand on his beliefs and say they disagreed with what was done. Wouldn't even address it straight forward. To me, this is a way of saying while they might not believe in the tactics they do believe it had to be done and are glad the planet is rid of this scum.

I believe in god and the constitution but sometimes there is a rule to every exception. Oh, and I certainly do believe there are others out there that are radicals and wish harm on not only the U.S. but all of North America and the west in general. They should be dealt with in the same fashion if they harm anyone of our citizens. This is my opinion and I believe a popular opinion here in the United States of America. (I WOULD LOVE TO POST AN AMERICAN FLAG EMETICON HERE IF THERE WERE ONE)!
    You are starting to sound like some sort of radical who thinks your beliefs are the only ones that are right. Kill the ones who do not live the way you do. Where does it stop? And what makes you the one who decides who lives and dies?

I also find it extremely offensive that you say that if this happened in Canada I would feel differently. Im pretty sure I am closer to NYC than you are but I dont think that if affects you any differently than it does me. Not sure if you know but there were Canadians killed in that attack as well. I also had plenty of friends (firefighters and paramedics) who went to NYC on 9/11 so please dont act like no one outside the US border was affected that day. That is just pure ignorance.

My point in all this has been that I find it disturbing the way that some people have celebrated death. Popping champagne corks and celebrating on the site where so many died is wrong. Im happy he is dead, but i will not jump for joy at the death of another human being.

You are starting to sound like some sort of radical who thinks your beliefs are the only ones that are right. Kill the ones who do not live the way you do. Where does it stop? And what makes you the one who decides who lives and dies?

I also find it extremely offensive that you say that if this happened in Canada I would feel differently. Im pretty sure I am closer to NYC than you are but I dont think that if affects you any differently than it does me. Not sure if you know but there were Canadians killed in that attack as well. I also had plenty of friends (firefighters and paramedics) who went to NYC on 9/11 so please dont act like no one outside the US border was affected that day. That is just pure ignorance.

My point in all this has been that I find it disturbing the way that some people have celebrated death. Popping champagne corks and celebrating on the site where so many died is wrong. Im happy he is dead, but i will not jump for joy at the death of another human being.
    No, no, no. I wasn't insinuating that you didn't care about it. Sorry, I simply meant that it was an attack on the USA and not Canada. I just was thinking that if it happened on Canadian soil, you may feel differently. Maybe not....... I know this type of thing happens all over the world on a much smaller level but until it a strike was set forth on US soil, I never really thought much about it. I personally think we should bow out and let these pigs kill themselves off. Less money, less casualties etc..

I am certainly not popping corks but I do find it a little weird that your happy he is dead but your not celebrating. Are they the same kind of? Maybe celebrating inside? I don't know, everyone has a right to think what they think and believe what they believe. Im glad the POS is dead! I think we agree on that.
    Last edited by Drunker Hillbilly; 05-08-2011 at 12:15 PM.

I felt the same way watching the celebrations on tv. Most the people celebrating were not even old enough to know what was happening on 9-11. I understand the people who lost a family member on that day celebrating the death of that horrible man. But I would agree a lot of people went way overboard.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast