Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Joplin, MO. May 22, 2011

  1. #1
    Member Since
    Sep 2005
    Location
    SE Kansas
    Posts
    27,899
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 227
    Given: 403

    Default Joplin, MO. May 22, 2011


    0 Not allowed!
    Requesting Prayer and good thoughts for all of those affected by the numerous tornadoes.

    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQnvxJZucds"]http://www.youtu.be/cQnvxJZucds[/ame]


  2. #2
    Member Since
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    7,362
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 52

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    I am so thankful that my brother and his family are safe! But I just so filled with sadness for what happened here, in a area that I lived in and love. I pray for all in that area. The wall cloud went right over my brothers house, then the tornado formed, and grew. That hospital is where my brothers wife work for.
    Last edited by tornadospotter; 05-23-2011 at 11:18 PM.

  3. #3
    Member Since
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Kansas City! HOME OF THE CHIIIEEEFS!
    Posts
    3,943
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 30

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    I can't seem to focus on anything but the Joplin tornado...very tragic and upsetting in many aspects. I've been following web pages and news since last night. I was hoping and praying my initial thoughts were wrong once seeing some photo's online of destroyed areas...which indicated the tornado was much more powerful than the F3 first reported. I knew the destruction and loss of life would be greater if it was an F4-5 which photo's of damage indicated it surely was.

    I know hindsight can't bring back lives, but how many lives will be lost before officials of cities/towns located in the heart of tornado alley...realize that they need to put forth much effort with educating the public on tornado safety, basic facts related that many are clueless of, which cost lives? When will they realize we need stricter building codes, especially for commerical and retail structures? Officials need to work with organizations such as Red Cross, the Salvation Army...to educate the naive well meaning public who impulsively travel to a disaster area without pre-authorization to volunteer...that by doing so they tremendously interfere and hinder search and rescue attempts by those who are qualified and trained for such. Unauthorized volunteers can make matters worse, not better...the exact opposite of their well meaning attempts because they simply are naive and don't know better.

    Every year prior to tornado season I try to inform of safety facts related to tornado's...such as complacency towards watches and warnings costs lives...no if's and's or butt's. I know most pay me no attention, thinking it will never happen to them. It's being widely reported the Joplin area sirens rang at least 20 minutes prior to the tornado striking. If those reports are accurate, many lives lost they say were a result of complacency. :(

    My prayers and thoughts are most definitely with the victims and their loved ones, and all affected by this most recent tornado related tragedy. :(

    "Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

    "The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

  4. #4
    Member Since
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Kansas City! HOME OF THE CHIIIEEEFS!
    Posts
    3,943
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 30

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    PS: I'm relieved you and yours are okay Chiefster. I know you don't live in Joplin, but also know you are in that area on the KS side.

    "Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

    "The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

  5. #5
    Member Since
    Sep 2005
    Location
    SE Kansas
    Posts
    27,899
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 227
    Given: 403

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Connie Jo View Post
    I can't seem to focus on anything but the Joplin tornado...very tragic and upsetting in many aspects. I've been following web pages and news since last night. I was hoping and praying my initial thoughts were wrong once seeing some photo's online of destroyed areas...which indicated the tornado was much more powerful than the F3 first reported. I knew the destruction and loss of life would be greater if it was an F4-5 which photo's of damage indicated it surely was.

    I know hindsight can't bring back lives, but how many lives will be lost before officials of cities/towns located in the heart of tornado alley...realize that they need to put forth much effort with educating the public on tornado safety, basic facts related that many are clueless of, which cost lives? When will they realize we need stricter building codes, especially for commerical and retail structures? Officials need to work with organizations such as Red Cross, the Salvation Army...to educate the naive well meaning public who impulsively travel to a disaster area without pre-authorization to volunteer...that by doing so they tremendously interfere and hinder search and rescue attempts by those who are qualified and trained for such. Unauthorized volunteers can make matters worse, not better...the exact opposite of their well meaning attempts because they simply are naive and don't know better.

    Every year prior to tornado season I try to inform of safety facts related to tornado's...such as complacency towards watches and warnings costs lives...no if's and's or butt's. I know most pay me no attention, thinking it will never happen to them. It's being widely reported the Joplin area sirens rang at least 20 minutes prior to the tornado striking. If those reports are accurate, many lives lost they say were a result of complacency. :(

    My prayers and thoughts are most definitely with the victims and their loved ones, and all affected by this most recent tornado related tragedy. :(
    You are so right Connie! The best way people can help is by staying away and letting the first responders do their jobs. Area Red Cross organizations is also a viable way to assist those in need. O- blood is what is most being sought after right now. One can also go to American Red Cross and make online monetary donations.

    Quote Originally Posted by Connie Jo View Post
    PS: I'm relieved you and yours are okay Chiefster. I know you don't live in Joplin, but also know you are in that area on the KS side.
    Thank you Connie; We have been very fortunate and blessed.


  6. #6
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Location
    kansas city
    Posts
    2,023
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 46

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    the Chiefs are making a 35,000 dollar contribution to this disaster

    Chiefs Announce Disaster Relief Plans

    Additionally, they and their media partners are teaming with the Salvation Army Midland Division to hold a bottled-water drive at Arrowhead Stadium for individuals in Kansas City to assist victims in the tornado-ravaged areas.
    story

    the team also helped out in 07 when Greensburg ks was flattened by an F5

    here are 5 youtube's of the disaster in joplin. including the twister itself

    link
    trust but verify
    http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1540&dateline=1380047  325]

  7. #7
    Member Since
    Sep 2005
    Location
    SE Kansas
    Posts
    27,899
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 227
    Given: 403

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kcvet View Post
    the Chiefs are making a 35,000 dollar contribution to this disaster

    Chiefs Announce Disaster Relief Plans



    story

    the team also helped out in 07 when Greensburg ks was flattened by an F5

    here are 5 youtube's of the disaster in joplin. including the twister itself

    link
    Thanks kcvet!


  8. #8
    Member Since
    Sep 2005
    Location
    SE Kansas
    Posts
    27,899
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 227
    Given: 403

    Default Oklahoma May 24, 2011


    0 Not allowed!
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZlGrTpXS4U"]YouTube - ‪May 24, 2011 Oklahoma tornado outbreak!‬‏[/ame]


  9. #9
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Location
    kansas city
    Posts
    2,023
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 46

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    that makes the crap run up my throat just watching it
    trust but verify
    http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1540&dateline=1380047  325]

  10. #10
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Location
    kansas city
    Posts
    2,023
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 46

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Mock #1 1/24/2011
    By stevefuller in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 269
    Last Post: 03-04-2011, 10:48 AM
  2. 2011 NFL Mock
    By tdehoff in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-16-2011, 10:52 PM
  3. Why NFL could close in 2011
    By GlennBree in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 85
    Last Post: 02-06-2011, 06:34 PM
  4. 2011 Schedule
    By Daylights in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 01-11-2011, 05:32 PM
  5. 2011 without the NFL
    By Scout200 in forum The Locker Room
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-30-2010, 11:40 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •