Thread: A little thing that helped bring peace & hope related to Joplin:

Default A little thing that helped bring peace & hope related to Joplin:

The Weather Channels Mike Bettes, a meteorologist and tornado chaser/scientist...was reporting live from Joplin within an hour after the tornado hit. He was in a neighborhood completely wiped out by the F5 that hit Joplin. As Mike was reporting live a man who had survived approached him, he began frantically pleading for his help to search through the rubble of his neighbors home. His neighbor and friend, 73 yr. old 'Larry', was believed to be buried under the rubble. Larry's home had completely collapsed into the basement.

The man's frantic plea's for help combined with the obvious intense devastation he was witnessing, led to meteorologist and tornado chaser Mike Bettes breaking down emotionally into tears as his cameraman kept filming live. As a result, many who were viewing the live coverage at the time became emotionally involved with the story of the lost neighbor, 'Larry'. Mike & TWC have a Facebook page he calls 'Tornado Hunt'. Many people began following his page hoping against all odds, along with Mike Bettes and his fellow WC meteorologists, that Larry would be recovered alive. It wasn't until Monday that rescue workers began digging through the rubble of Larry's home searching for him, but they didn't find him, so began searching again this morning, Tuesday.

Continuing prayers and thoughts of concern for Larry's fate were posted by many who were following the story on Mike's Facebook wall. Many were checking daily asking for any updates on whether or not Larry had been found, but no one had posted any updates on Larry, not even Mike. In the meantime, Mike Bettes moved on to report live from Oklahoma, where tornadoes were predicted to occur today. As I would discover later, the haunting plea's for help from Larry's neighbor were still very much in Mike's thoughts. I would imagine he felt helpless, knowing there was nothing he could do considering the massive heavy pile of rubble that was once a home to 73 yr. old 'Larry'.

I was one of those who was following the story hoping Larry would be found alive, and also checked Mike's Facebook wall frequently hoping for good news. After checking Mike's Facebook early today finding no updates on Larry...I decided to Google to see if I could find any related news stories about a 73 yr. old man named Larry being found. After about two hours of searching and reading through articles related to Joplins tornado, I came across one that indeed gave me the news I was searching and hoping for. Larry had been located this morning, alive and well!!

I assumed Mike Bettes knew, but was so overwhelmed with reporting for TWC, considering all the recent tornadic activity the last 3 days, that possibly he didn't have time to update those of us concerned asking for any news related to 'Larry'. I took it upon myself to post the good news on Mike's Facebook wall this afternoon, including posting the link to the news article I found verifying Larry had been found.

I assumed wrong, Mike Bettes did not know that Larry had been found. He learned Larry was alive after reading my post on his wall. Mike Bettes then posted a reply to me stating how relieved, happy, and excited he was to read the news Larry was alive and well. He thanked me, and said he going to post the good news on his Twitter, letting others know who were concerned about Larry's fate also.

At first I was somewhat humbled by Mike Bettes thanking me, as well as others following the story on his Facebook, feeling as if I was unworthy of thanks. I really didn't do anything I thought, other than search Google because I had an overwhelming desire myself to know if Larry had been found or not. I too had been feeling sad and helpless, reading so many tragic stories of life lost the last couple of days knowing there was nothing I could do. I wasn't able to help the victims, but without realizing it I suppose I helped bring a bit of inner peace to Mike Bettes. He may have heard the good news at some point from someone else...but I'm glad now I was able to be the one to bring it to him first. Reading his joyful reaction to my post of Larry being found alive and well, somehow makes me feel better too.

Here is a copy/paste of what I posted on Mike Bettes (Tornado Hunt) FB Wall...following my post are those by Mike Bettes. He's so happy, and that makes me happy!

Connie Jo Gillespie

For those following the story of the 73 yr. old man named Larry who was missing and his friend was frantically looking for him...he has been found & is okay! Here is a link to the story, which mentions Larry towards the end. :)
    http://www.greenfieldreporter.com/view/story/924e0009ed8945feb37594881f88e7ea/US--Midwest-Storms/

Tornado Hunt So relieved. I'm reposting and tweeting it now! Thanks for finding this!

Connie Jo Gillespie You're welcome. I've been following the story from day one of Larry being missing. There were no updates on any related FB pages, so I Googled & began reading related Joplin tornado news stories...was very happy myself to find this story!! :)

Kathy Wolf ‎@ Connie Jo, Thanks so much for finding that story! For those of us that watched the Live Feed for hours that night & kept seeing Larry's friend so worried about his neighbor & trying to get help it's heartening to know he survived the storm.

Mike Bettes verified my link, read the story of Larry being found, then he posted this after:

Tornado Hunt

Relieved to report that Larry is alive and well!! Survived Joplin tornado and was at friends house. Will post article soon! Connie G's FB post has the link. Thanks Connie! Great find! Literally!

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Great news Connie, and great job locating the news about Larry! You have earned yourself the title of "Official Chiefs Crowd Correspondent"

I was watching the video were he broke down and it made me break down it really hit home. I was in shock and could not grasp the devastation until then. I grew up in KC but my roots are in Joplin. My Grandparents moved to Joplin when they were kids in the late 1800's both my parents were born in Joplin but moved to KC for their careers but they retired back in Joplin. I know Joplin better than I do KC even though I was born and grew up in KC. I just can not believe the destruction it did. My parents used to be volunteers at Saint Johns.

Quote Originally Posted by N TX Dave View Post
    I was watching the video were he broke down and it made me break down it really hit home. I was in shock and could not grasp the devastation until then. I grew up in KC but my roots are in Joplin. My Grandparents moved to Joplin when they were kids in the late 1800's both my parents were born in Joplin but moved to KC for their careers but they retired back in Joplin. I know Joplin better than I do KC even though I was born and grew up in KC. I just can not believe the destruction it did. My parents used to be volunteers at Saint Johns.
    Wow! I cannot imagine the emotions you are experiencing. Are you loved ones safe?

Quote Originally Posted by Connie Jo View Post
    The Weather Channels Mike Bettes, a meteorologist and tornado chaser/scientist...was reporting live from Joplin within an hour after the tornado hit. He was in a neighborhood completely wiped out by the F5 that hit Joplin. As Mike was reporting live a man who had survived approached him, he began frantically pleading for his help to search through the rubble of his neighbors home. His neighbor and friend, 73 yr. old 'Larry', was believed to be buried under the rubble. Larry's home had completely collapsed into the basement.

The man's frantic plea's for help combined with the obvious intense devastation he was witnessing, led to meteorologist and tornado chaser Mike Bettes breaking down emotionally into tears as his cameraman kept filming live. As a result, many who were viewing the live coverage at the time became emotionally involved with the story of the lost neighbor, 'Larry'. Mike & TWC have a Facebook page he calls 'Tornado Hunt'. Many people began following his page hoping against all odds, along with Mike Bettes and his fellow WC meteorologists, that Larry would be recovered alive. It wasn't until Monday that rescue workers began digging through the rubble of Larry's home searching for him, but they didn't find him, so began searching again this morning, Tuesday.

Continuing prayers and thoughts of concern for Larry's fate were posted by many who were following the story on Mike's Facebook wall. Many were checking daily asking for any updates on whether or not Larry had been found, but no one had posted any updates on Larry, not even Mike. In the meantime, Mike Bettes moved on to report live from Oklahoma, where tornadoes were predicted to occur today. As I would discover later, the haunting plea's for help from Larry's neighbor were still very much in Mike's thoughts. I would imagine he felt helpless, knowing there was nothing he could do considering the massive heavy pile of rubble that was once a home to 73 yr. old 'Larry'.

I was one of those who was following the story hoping Larry would be found alive, and also checked Mike's Facebook wall frequently hoping for good news. After checking Mike's Facebook early today finding no updates on Larry...I decided to Google to see if I could find any related news stories about a 73 yr. old man named Larry being found. After about two hours of searching and reading through articles related to Joplins tornado, I came across one that indeed gave me the news I was searching and hoping for. Larry had been located this morning, alive and well!!

I assumed Mike Bettes knew, but was so overwhelmed with reporting for TWC, considering all the recent tornadic activity the last 3 days, that possibly he didn't have time to update those of us concerned asking for any news related to 'Larry'. I took it upon myself to post the good news on Mike's Facebook wall this afternoon, including posting the link to the news article I found verifying Larry had been found.

I assumed wrong, Mike Bettes did not know that Larry had been found. He learned Larry was alive after reading my post on his wall. Mike Bettes then posted a reply to me stating how relieved, happy, and excited he was to read the news Larry was alive and well. He thanked me, and said he going to post the good news on his Twitter, letting others know who were concerned about Larry's fate also.

At first I was somewhat humbled by Mike Bettes thanking me, as well as others following the story on his Facebook, feeling as if I was unworthy of thanks. I really didn't do anything I thought, other than search Google because I had an overwhelming desire myself to know if Larry had been found or not. I too had been feeling sad and helpless, reading so many tragic stories of life lost the last couple of days knowing there was nothing I could do. I wasn't able to help the victims, but without realizing it I suppose I helped bring a bit of inner peace to Mike Bettes. He may have heard the good news at some point from someone else...but I'm glad now I was able to be the one to bring it to him first. Reading his joyful reaction to my post of Larry being found alive and well, somehow makes me feel better too.

Here is a copy/paste of what I posted on Mike Bettes (Tornado Hunt) FB Wall...following my post are those by Mike Bettes. He's so happy, and that makes me happy!

Connie Jo Gillespie

For those following the story of the 73 yr. old man named Larry who was missing and his friend was frantically looking for him...he has been found & is okay! Here is a link to the story, which mentions Larry towards the end. :)
    http://www.greenfieldreporter.com/view/story/924e0009ed8945feb37594881f88e7ea/US--Midwest-Storms/

Tornado Hunt So relieved. I'm reposting and tweeting it now! Thanks for finding this!

Connie Jo Gillespie You're welcome. I've been following the story from day one of Larry being missing. There were no updates on any related FB pages, so I Googled & began reading related Joplin tornado news stories...was very happy myself to find this story!! :)

Kathy Wolf ‎@ Connie Jo, Thanks so much for finding that story! For those of us that watched the Live Feed for hours that night & kept seeing Larry's friend so worried about his neighbor & trying to get help it's heartening to know he survived the storm.

Mike Bettes verified my link, read the story of Larry being found, then he posted this after:

Tornado Hunt

Relieved to report that Larry is alive and well!! Survived Joplin tornado and was at friends house. Will post article soon! Connie G's FB post has the link. Thanks Connie! Great find! Literally!
    Job Well Done CJ!

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    Great news Connie, and great job locating the news about Larry! You have earned yourself the title of "Official Chiefs Crowd Correspondent"
    I second that!

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    Wow! I cannot imagine the emotions you are experiencing. Are you loved ones safe?
    Yes I only have one 63 year old cousin and his girlfriend of 20 years left in the area but they were out eating and were trying to get home and decided they could not make so they ran into Wal-Mart as the tornado was approaching. When it hit he grabed his girlfriend and two kids grabbed hold of an 6 inch column that was ripped out of their hands and got buried under some shelves after it passed he managed to dig them all out when they found their car it was a twisted mess upside down and smashed between two other cars. He said if they had not got out they would be dead. Below is his message to the family and friends letting us know he was safe.

hey you all khanh and i just survived a tornado. we were inside walmart hanging onto 6 inch square column when the building took a direct hit. the column we were attached to was ripped out of our hands and a steel shelving rack fell over on top of us pinning us underneath. the shelves help keep the debris raining down from hitting us. but we were stuck. i was able to free one hand and one leg pushing and kicking stuff out of the way until able to crawl out. khanh started to experience hypothermia from the rain and hail. we found a rubber back carpet on isle #6 to shelter us and climbed our way through to destruction to the parking lot. we found khanhs car upside down with two other cars pancaked against it, completely destroyed. khanh started to cry for the car until i explained her insurance would help buy her the new rava 4 6cyc that she wanted, then all was well. khanh was getting worse so i flagged down a truck and the two fellows drove us to our apartment which was not touched by the storm. 5 minutes before the strom hit we were in the parking lot we were lucky. khanh is now resting comfortably and we are both starting to feel all kinds of aches, pains and strains, but we are alive to tell about it.love to all r2 & K

I'm so very grateful to read stories like that of your cousin Dave. I read so many, too many, which didn't have happy endings. So many Facebook pages were founded with the intent to find missing people, it broke my heart to read the pleas of their loved ones for help to try and find those lost. Broke my heart even more to read the stories of lives lost. There are still so many unaccounted for, and daily reports come in a loved one has been identified as deceased. Will Norton the most recent, such a young man with so much talent & promise lost forever to those who love him. Sadly, it's being reported that he and his father didn't heed the warnings immediately, but by the time they realized they needed to take shelter out of the vehicle Will was driving, it was too late. Much of the media is adding hype & spin to Wills tragic story, so I'm not sure what is accurate or not. Media says he was sucked out of this sunroof by the tornado, but earlier reports by family before the story hit major media was that the winds caused the vehicle to begin rolling, Wills seatbelt snapped and he was thrown from the vehicle through the sunroof. I doesn't really matter now how, he's gone. I just wish there was someway as a society we could eliminate so much complacency towards tornadoes. Many lives are lost needlessly due to complacency...not taking cover when warnings sound, or adequate cover. There is no way to prevent all loss of life, especially when it's an F4-5, but I venture to guesstimate at least half of those who lost life in Joplin could've been saved had the warnings been taken more seriously. It's reported the sirens rang at least 20 minutes before the tornado struck. :(

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

I felt so helpless, reading of so much tragedy and loss, so many pleas from family for help to find loved ones...most ending with bad news. I think that's why I found some comfort in knowing I brought some good news with a happy ending to Mike Bettes and others following 'Larry's' story. Through all the tears of reading about lives lost...there were smiles to be had of a survival.

Hey!! Y'all weren't kidding, hahahahaha! I just now noticed 'Official Chiefs Crowd Correspondent' under my banner, when posting in another discussion! COOL!! I guess I'm gonna have to live up to the title...dig and search Google for more heartwarming positive stories now, lol.
    Last edited by Connie Jo; 05-29-2011 at 01:59 AM. Reason: As a correspondent I should check my spelling before posting! lol

Quote Originally Posted by N TX Dave View Post
    Yes I only have one 63 year old cousin and his girlfriend of 20 years left in the area but they were out eating and were trying to get home and decided they could not make so they ran into Wal-Mart as the tornado was approaching. When it hit he grabed his girlfriend and two kids grabbed hold of an 6 inch column that was ripped out of their hands and got buried under some shelves after it passed he managed to dig them all out when they found their car it was a twisted mess upside down and smashed between two other cars. He said if they had not got out they would be dead. Below is his message to the family and friends letting us know he was safe.

hey you all khanh and i just survived a tornado. we were inside walmart hanging onto 6 inch square column when the building took a direct hit. the column we were attached to was ripped out of our hands and a steel shelving rack fell over on top of us pinning us underneath. the shelves help keep the debris raining down from hitting us. but we were stuck. i was able to free one hand and one leg pushing and kicking stuff out of the way until able to crawl out. khanh started to experience hypothermia from the rain and hail. we found a rubber back carpet on isle #6 to shelter us and climbed our way through to destruction to the parking lot. we found khanhs car upside down with two other cars pancaked against it, completely destroyed. khanh started to cry for the car until i explained her insurance would help buy her the new rava 4 6cyc that she wanted, then all was well. khanh was getting worse so i flagged down a truck and the two fellows drove us to our apartment which was not touched by the storm. 5 minutes before the strom hit we were in the parking lot we were lucky. khanh is now resting comfortably and we are both starting to feel all kinds of aches, pains and strains, but we are alive to tell about it.love to all r2 & K
    Outstanding news man! But, what a horrific, terrifying experience.