Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Biggest Misconception?

Default Biggest Misconception?

What do you think is the biggest misconception about the Chiefs?

(Stemming from things you hear everywhere, yet they're not true...)
    Feel the rush...

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    ...That the name originated with respect to Native Americans.
    that's very true, in fact most people believe that they started in KC as well. i do love the story about having to convince Mr. Hunt to change the name from the Texans. Somehow you would have thought even he would have seen the obvious problem with the "Kanas City Texans"

Quote Originally Posted by chiefnut View Post
    that's very true, in fact most people believe that they started in KC as well. i do love the story about having to convince Mr. Hunt to change the name from the Texans. Somehow you would have thought even he would have seen the obvious problem with the "Kanas City Texans"
    Yuppers!

I know why the Chiefs are named the Chiefs, but now that you mention it...how the Chiefs originally obtained their name likely IS the biggest misconception!

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    ...That the name originated with respect to Native Americans.
    THIS
    Quote Originally Posted by Connie Jo View Post
    I know why the Chiefs are named the Chiefs, but now that you mention it...how the Chiefs originally obtained their name likely IS the biggest misconception!
    AND THAT!

Very true! Another misconception is that people tend to think that the Chiefs stink and last season's 10-6 record was a fluke thanks to a soft schedule.

If you actually watched the Chiefs in 2010 and compared them to the 2009 team, they played so much better. This team went from several glaring holes to a few holes to almost no holes after the 2011 draft. Assuming most of our picks pan out like last year's draft, the Chiefs are at the point where they're simply drafting for depth.

The Chiefs are improving and will continue to improve the next few years!
    Feel the rush...

there are alot of great stories about team origins, most people know that the packers were named after the meat packing co. that sponsored them but how about the bears origin as the decateur staleys and that they played a game against the chicago cardinals for the right to stay in town, the cards lost and moved to st.louis.

For years Kansas City has been regarded, or disregarded, as a small town on the prairie. Nothing there, their two teams are just fixtures with no promise. And then about every ten years it's "discovered". There will be a picture of a fountain on the cover of a glossy magazine and a headline saying something like, "Wow!! It's Kansas City" and somewhere there will be mention of the Chiefs and their hyper-loyal fans. The Chiefs will have a season as they did last year and crow goes on the menu at ESPN, Fox Sports, CBS Sports, NBC Sports, ABC Sports et al. I honestly believe that we could win five super bowls in a row and somewhere in the ether a commentator would be warming up to say, "We'll, it's just Kansas City". Or as one person said to me, "Kansas City, isn't that the resting place of Joe Montana?" We can try, we can be proud, we can win and for no reason, we'll never quite get the respect for the team or the city that is so richly deserved. Who knows why?

Just in the event that newbies don't know...

Per Wikipedia:

...Hunt agreed to relocate the franchise to Kansas City on May 22, 1963 and on May 26 the team was renamed the Kansas City Chiefs.[6][8][9] Hunt and head coach Hank Stram initially planned on retaining the Texans name, but a fan contest determined the new "Chiefs" name in honor of Mayor Bartle's nickname that he acquired in his professional role as Scout Executive of the St. Joseph and Kansas City Boy Scout Councils and founder of the Scouting Society, Tribe of the Mic-O-Say.[6][9][10] A total of 4,866 entries were received with 1,020 different names being suggested, including a total of 42 entrants who selected "Chiefs."[10] The two names that received the most popular votes were "Mules" and "Royals."

Quote Originally Posted by Scout200 View Post
    Very true! Another misconception is that people tend to think that the Chiefs stink and last season's 10-6 record was a fluke thanks to a soft schedule.

If you actually watched the Chiefs in 2010 and compared them to the 2009 team, they played so much better. This team went from several glaring holes to a few holes to almost no holes after the 2011 draft. Assuming most of our picks pan out like last year's draft, the Chiefs are at the point where they're simply drafting for depth.

The Chiefs are improving and will continue to improve the next few years!
    I completely agree!! Even though we had a horrible record in 2009, I saw even then the Chiefs were a talented team much better than their record indicated.

They had so many obstacles to overcome in 2009 at once, of which I'm not sure any other NFL team in history faced all in the very same season. We had a new GM, new head coach, new assistant coaches, the OC fired with the onset of the season, D Bowe suspended, LJ scandal and released, etc.. Also, a new QB who had the pressure of relocating his family to KC, becoming a daddy for the first time in his life, & all eyes upon him as a high paid franchise starting QB for the first time in his career. We also had major renovations underway at Arrowhead beginning in 2009, if memory is correct.

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

I wonder how many 'newbie' fans know why the lower level seats are orange instead of red or yellow gold? hahaha

I hate that they're orange, it's a Donkey team color...but it's what Lamar wanted!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast