Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wiegman opts against retirement

Default wiegman opts against retirement

Casey Wiegmann will turn 38 on Wednesday, but he's not ready to give up on his NFL career just yet.

Wiegmann's agent, Joe Linta, told ESPN.com on Monday that the veteran center has decided he wants to return for a 16th NFL season if he can work out a new contract with the Kansas City Chiefs.
    The Chiefs selected Florida State center Rodney Hudson in the second round of the April draft, but coach Todd Haley has said Wiegmann is welcome to return.
    Linta said earlier this offseason that Wiegmann was "50-50" to play in 2011. However, ESPN.com notes, the lingering NFL lockout might have helped Wiegmann recover from the rigors of a long season. Wiegmann owns a consecutive snaps streak of over 10,000, which started in 2001.
    Wiegmann returned for his second Chiefs stint last season after two years with the AFC West rival Denver Broncos. He also played in Kansas City from 2001 to 2007 after starting his career with the New York Jets (1997) and Chicago Bears (1997-2000).

This is assuming the Chiefs want to resign him. I think they should, but if they do not, he may not have a choice.

I think it would be a good idea to resign him for at least one more season to bring up the young Hudson.

agreed, he has played consistently well, no reason not to bring him back, hes barely removed from a pro bowl, and like Vrabel helped our young LB corps, he will do the same for the line.

Yes, I agree.

I hope he can come back for at least 1 more season, he has had ample time to rest, and it would be a blessing to have the young talent of Hudson learn from one of the best at his position. Not only would it allow Hudson to learn the ropes at Center, It may also allow him to try out a little Guard, in case down the road we need the help there.

The worst that could happen, Hudson beats out Wieggeman, or Wieggeman gets injured moving Hudson into a starting role. Any way you slice it, I would love to have Casey show Hudson the ropes!

just remember he is 38 years old and he did play well enuf last year. hopefully he gets spelled alot so he can make it thru the season and the backups get reps.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefnut View Post
    just remember he is 38 years old and he did play well enuf last year. hopefully he gets spelled alot so he can make it thru the season and the backups get reps.
    At this point I want him on the team more for his experience, leadership capabilities and to instruct the rooks.

He is Mike Vrable of centers..
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

Quote Originally Posted by honda522 View Post
    He is Mike Vrable of centers..
    ...This!

I see no reason not to offer him a new one year contract. He can still play, but most important, he can coach, and he knows that in this time and point of his career, that is where he has value. That is where he can build on a new career, if he wants.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast