Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Will you return as a fan if the NFL gets a CBA deal gets done?

Default Will you return as a fan if the NFL gets a CBA deal gets done?

We have a new poll on the homepage.

Will you return as a fan if the NFL gets a CBA deal gets done this week? Go vote and weigh in with your thoughts here in the forums.

NFL Lockout: Owners Could Vote On Agreement That Is Not "Global"
    Jul 21 12:33p by Jason Brewer

You've probably heard the phrase "global agreement" thrown around in relation to the NFL lockout in recent weeks. Basically, it refers to an agreement that would cover all the current issues between the owners and players. There are three major issues that need to be hammered out. First and foremost is an agreement on a new collective bargaining agreement. That would set the rules for players movement, contracts, practices, virtually everything.

However, that's not the only issue. The two sides need to come to an agreement on potential damages in the TV money case as well as settle the Brady lawsuit. So when the owners specifically speak about a "global agreement" they want to to settle these lawsuits and get a new CBA all in one shot. Unfortunately, certain snags in the Brady case may prevent that and the owners reportedly could vote to approve the new CBA without settling the other matters.

In other words, there would be an agreement, but it wouldn't be "global." Whether or not that means that the league can open up for business isn't clear at this point. The players were expected to vote on all the same issues yesterday, but didn't.

CBS Sports is reporting that one of the stumbling blocks preventing the players from approving a new CBA yesterday was that Logan Mankins and Vincent Jackson, both plaintiffs in the "Brady case," have continued to insist that they deserve $10 million in cash compensation as part of a settlement in the case.

The source in the article says that as of late last night, neither player's representatives had dropped their request and the NFL will not agree to pay them. Both players have been negatively affected by the franchise tag, which they see as a restraint of trade and believe the owners owe them compensation. They are absolutely right about what the tag is, but the fact is that it was something collectively bargained by their union. Why the owners should now be liable for utilizing a device the players agreed to is hard to understand.

Reports were that last night the players did agree to conditionally approve a new CBA, but the condition was that the Brady case plaintiffs settle or drop their claims. Effectively, they've put the onus on those players now. Mankins and Jackson may be frustrating other players with this delay. This week, Vikings punter Chris Kluwe called the Brady plaintiffs "greedy" and "douchebags."
    Last edited by Connie Jo; 07-21-2011 at 04:26 PM.

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

I might add, that even though a majority of media reported yesterday that their was no vote on the CBA...that was misleading. All they did was stir up more fan upset by not including in their headline & accompaning blurbs...which is all most people read...is that there was a CONDITIONAL vote taken by players, a vote in principle some called it. That vote DID PASS, but was not a permanent vote because of what is mentioned in the article above...those players holding out in the Brady suit. The NFLPA advised players not to take a permanent vote until that issue is resolved or cleared in some way making a permanent vote more comfortable for all parties involved. The NFL owners also need that issue resolved in a way making it comfortable for them to lift the lockout.

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

My answer to the thread title: YES

Yes, I will return as a fan, especially if the deal is done this week. This could be the most exciting free agency period in a long time and the Chiefs organization can actually come out of this deal in better shape. If we don't miss training camp and any games, there are no problems here!

One thing i DO LIKE,IS THEY HAVE TO SPEND ALL THE CAP MONEY OR IT IS SPLIT BY THE PLAYERS.so WE SHOULD GET A FEW GOOD FREE AGENTS.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    That the players salaries are not 'in relation' to my job, but a % of the astronomical television revenue has never bugged me. I'm watching to be entertained, to enjoy the camaraderie of fellow fans, and to cheer my arse off FOR my team, and yes, Against a few particular teams when 'we' play 'them'.
    None of that is ruined for me by the league and players redoing how they share that revenue- however I didn't pay much attention to the machinations and negotiations and I gotta figure this helped.
    My being priced out of going to games was pretty much already here, and who knows, I may be blacked out to boot. Then I'm gonna be more upset.
    Up til now, a pizza and my buddy's couch with a few die-hard Chiefs fans with the once in while Arrowhead experience has been great but if I can't get it on Television or somehow on the Internet, then I'm gonna have to watch only College plus the NFL "game of the week" and that will make me a bitter bitter man.
    I'll defer to season ticket holders as to what the impact on them is going to be. I know parking isn't getting any cheaper, but where else can you get that adrenaline rush like "...and the Hoooome of the... CHIEFS!"
    Fire Up!
    Jasper, I don't know what is feasible for your budget or not, but if you live in or are close to the KC metro area...attending a game is actually fairly reasonable by comparison to many other entertainment options. I have upper level season tickets, which cost $250.00 per season for 10 games...2 pre-season, 8 regular season, equating to $25.00 per game.

Parking will be $23.00 for me, since I'm a Jackson County taxpayer, $4 of the $5 increase in 2011 doesn't apply to me, only non Jackson County residents. You also have the option of parking across from Arrowhead in one of the independent lots for about $10. Another option is for many game goers to ride together in one vehicle spliting the parking cost among them.

$48 per game is my cost if driving myself & parking inside Arrowhead. I rarely buy food inside the stadium, rather eat at friends tailgates prior to the game if hungry. There also are usually several tailgates set up by businesses & organizations promoting their product/service, of which offer complimentary food. Heck, for that matter, fellow Chiefs fans are generous when tailgating, most always there are many private group tailgaters offering unknown fellow Chiefs fans food as they walk by their tailgate. Many offer you a beer or two as well! Even when telling them no thank you many will insist, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post

We have a new poll on the homepage.

Will you return as a fan if the NFL gets a CBA deal gets done this week? Go vote and weigh in with your thoughts here in the forums.
    I never left as a fan, only because I am positive that a deal would be done in time, however, I will boycott any NFL merchandise, if any game is not played! This in accordance with fan strike. One game has been canceled. The Hall of Fame Game. The first game of the preseason. Does that count as a missed game?

To me this has not been that big of a deal. It was a contract negotiation. Besides the hall of fame game what have we lost? I for one felt it was not going to last into the season, too much money to lose. I was at one time a BIG baseball fan back in the day until they all went on strike because they didn't make enough millions. I lost intrest after that and have never really kept up with it since. As a former union member (Boeing) I know if you go on strike you can never make up for what you have lost by not working. Same goes for the NFL Owners and Players. Let the FA begin!

Quote Originally Posted by tornadospotter View Post
    I never left as a fan, only because I am positive that a deal would be done in time, however, I will boycott any NFL merchandise, if any game is not played! This in accordance with fan strike. One game has been canceled. The Hall of Fame Game. The first game of the preseason. Does that count as a missed game?
    It's the bears and rams so no
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by okikcfan View Post
    To me this has not been that big of a deal. It was a contract negotiation. Besides the hall of fame game what have we lost? I for one felt it was not going to last into the season, too much money to lose. I was at one time a BIG baseball fan back in the day until they all went on strike because they didn't make enough millions. I lost intrest after that and have never really kept up with it since. As a former union member (Boeing) I know if you go on strike you can never make up for what you have lost by not working. Same goes for the NFL Owners and Players. Let the FA begin!
    I am the same. I still watch the NBA but don't get into it to much anymore. ANd they are once again in a lockout that looks like it can be worse then the NFLS. I won't really miss it as I watch college hopes more. But I don't no what I would do if there were not Chiefs games on sundays.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast