Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 102

Thread: Chiefs Free Agent News and Rumors

  1. #1
    Member Since
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Topeka< KS
    Posts
    2,196
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 180
    Given: 56

    Default Chiefs Free Agent News and Rumors


    0 Not allowed!
    I didn't see a thread covering free agency news so I thought I would start one. Feel free to add any Chiefs news or rumors regarding free agency here.

    According to ArrowheadPride.com, here is a slist of current Chiefs who are unrestricted free agents:

    NT Ron Edwards
    DE Shaun Smith
    WR Terrance Copper
    C Casey Wiegmann
    S Jon McGraw
    LB Charlie Anderson
    WR Kevin Curtis
    CB Travis Daniels
    LB Mike Vrabel
    FB Tim Castille
    OT Ryan O'Callaghan
    LB Corey Mays
    TE Leonard Pope
    C Rudy Niswanger
    QB Brodie Croyle

    Vrabel has announced his retirement and Wiegman has expressed an interest in playing another year. I think he is a must sign. What other Chiefs do you think we need to sign and who should we let go?

    Here are some other UFAs that the Chiefs are reportedly interested in:

    Right Tackle: Doug Free (Dallas), Jermon Bushrod (new Orleans)

    Last year Jamaal Charles averaged 6.4 yards per carry when running to the left, but only 4.3 ypc when running to the right.

    Nose Tackle: Aubrayo Franklin (San Francisco)

    The Chiefs drafted Jerrell Powe (6th round) this year but he'll be raw and probably only a rotation player to start with. They may resign Ron Edwards, but if they don't Franklin would would be a force up the middle.

    Other free agents that the Chiefs are reportedly interested in:

    Offensive Tackle: Jared Gaither (Baltimore)
    Running Back: Le'Ron McClain (Baltimore)
    Wide Receiver: Steve Breaston (Arizona)

    What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by TopekaRoy; 07-26-2011 at 02:17 AM.

  2. #31
    Member Since
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Topeka< KS
    Posts
    2,196
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 180
    Given: 56

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    This looks very promising...
    7 minutes ago - by Craig Morgan - Breaston likely gone; next stop, Kansas City?
    The Arizona Republic, citing an unnamed source, reports WR Steve Breaston will not return to the club next season. Multiple published reports have linked Breaston with the Chiefs and former Cards OC Todd Haley, who is now K.C.'s coach. Cardinals RapidReports

  3. #32
    Member Since
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Saskatoon,Sk
    Posts
    94
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    This looks very promising...
    Hopefully it gets done.


    Jamaal Charles [RB]
    Kansas City Chiefs 2010-2011

  4. #33
    Member Since
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Topeka< KS
    Posts
    2,196
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 180
    Given: 56

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    A quick update on my original post (since this forum only allows post editing for 10 minutes!)


    NT Ron Edwards - signed by Panthers (3yrs $8.25 million)
    DE Shaun Smith - Working towards deal (link) Chiefs reportedly interested in resigning him (link)
    WR Terrance Copper - signed (unoficiallyl link)
    C Casey Wiegmann - signed
    S Jon McGraw - working towards deal (unofficially link)
    LB Charlie Anderson -
    WR Kevin Curtis - Chiefs have right of first refusal
    CB Travis Daniels - signed (unofficially link)
    LB Mike Vrabel - Retired linebackers coach for Ohio State University
    FB Tim Castille
    OT Ryan O'Callaghan
    LB Corey Mays
    TE Leonard Pope
    C Rudy Niswanger - not sure if he'll return (link)
    QB Brodie Croyle

    Right Tackle: Doug Free (Dallas), Jermon Bushrod (new Orleans)

    Nose Tackle: Aubrayo Franklin (San Francisco)

    Offensive Tackle: Jared Gaither (Baltimore)
    Running Back: Le'Ron McClain (Baltimore)
    Wide Receiver: Steve Breaston (Arizona) - signed (5yrs $9 million)

    Undrafted Free Agents signed: Auburn CB Demond Washington, Virginia Union OT David Mims, Tennessee-Chattanooga OL Chris Harr, Texas A&M DT/DE Lucas Patterson, UNC OT Mike Ingersoll, Central Connecticut WR Josue Paul, Oregon DT Brandon Bair, USC OL Butch Lewis, Temple LB Amara Kamara and Michigan State TE Charlie Gantt.

    I will update this list periodically as events transpire.
    Last edited by TopekaRoy; 07-27-2011 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Added Undrafted Free Agents

  5. #34
    Member Since
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Topeka< KS
    Posts
    2,196
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 180
    Given: 56

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Six Things To Remember About Chiefs Undrafted Free Agent Signings




    1. You know how Chiefs GM Scott Pioli discovered Kamara? He was scouting Temple DT Muhammad Wilkerson and this linebacker kept popping onto the screen and making plays. I'll go into a little more detail on that story once things slow down. It's interesting.
    2. DT Lucas Patterson out of Texas A&M is the only sorta, kinda local connection with the Big 12. I was hoping to get another local guy in there.
    3. Three offensive tackles in this group. I don't think that means anything as far as what the Chiefs will do in veteran free agency but it's interesting to note considering they have only three offensive tackles under contract for 2011.
    4. OT David Mims seems to be getting the most hype out of these guys. I've seen his name thrown around on some of these scouting websites as a guy that is -- buzzword warning -- very "raw" and has lots of "potential".
    5. Does anyone know what Scott Pioli's connection to WR Josue Paul is? Both alums of Central Connecticut.
    6. The Chiefs first showed interest in OL Chris Harr after his 2010 season opener. Five other teams were in on him. from Arrowhead Pride

  6. #35
    Member Since
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    415
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 2

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    A player that I am high on if not for depth only is Alan Branch from AZ. Listed at 6'6" 338lbs he is 26 and registered 35 tackles 2 sacks 2 forced fumbles and 4 stuffs... and he is listed as 2nd string on AZ depth chart. I think this guy has potential and would cost us half as much as franklin. Just food for thought.
    GO CHIEFS!!!

  7. #36
    Member Since
    May 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    9,106
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 26

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    I hope the fact that the Chiefs let Edwards go is an indication that they will sign
    Aubreyo Franklin. You can't expect Powe, a 6th round pick to start right away. If the Chiefs do get Franklin, I'll be very happy with this move.
    I will miss Ron Edwards.

    I spent quite some time down on his abilities, and slowly became rather impressed as he continually improved, even with the strange circumstances that we put him through.

    I wish him the best with Carolina.

    But, having said that, his absence definitely brings some uncertainty to our NT position for this season.

    And, just as TopekaRoy, and others, have mentioned, I think this move feeds my desire to get a proven NT like Franklin to secure our defensive line.

    But I will not be losing my mind if we trust what we have at NT. I am sure Romeo will take the position seriously.


  8. #37
    Member Since
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    415
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 2

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Agreed... A healthy Jackson can have Shaun Smith line up at NT with Torribio and Powe to spell... We have added Bailey so with Dorsey Jackson Gilberry and Bailey we have depth to rotate at end.

    But I am tellin you guys to check out Alan Branch from AZ. This guy is going to be a beast... he is a free agent and posted similar stats last season as franklin and is listed as 2nd string. Not to mention he is 26 and franklin will be 31.
    GO CHIEFS!!!

  9. #38
    Member Since
    May 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    9,106
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 26

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DMN View Post
    Agreed... A healthy Jackson can have Shaun Smith line up at NT with Torribio and Powe to spell... We have added Bailey so with Dorsey Jackson Gilberry and Bailey we have depth to rotate at end.

    But I am tellin you guys to check out Alan Branch from AZ. This guy is going to be a beast... he is a free agent and posted similar stats last season as franklin and is listed as 2nd string. Not to mention he is 26 and franklin will be 31.
    All I know of Branch is that he was supposed to be a high first round pick a few years ago, and slipped into the top of the second round.

    His stat line looks pretty solid for 2010. ( Alan Branch, NT for the Arizona Cardinals at NFL.com ) Especially for a backup. But as far as his actual abilities on the filed, I just haven't seen him play.

    However, DH sees a whole lot of Arizona Cardinals football, so he may have a more insight about his play than most of us, and definitely more than I have.

    DH.....

    What are your thoughts on Alan Branch as a NT?

  10. #39
    Member Since
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Scottsdale,Az
    Posts
    1,292
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    All I know of Branch is that he was supposed to be a high first round pick a few years ago, and slipped into the top of the second round.

    His stat line looks pretty solid for 2010. ( Alan Branch, NT for the Arizona Cardinals at NFL.com ) Especially for a backup. But as far as his actual abilities on the filed, I just haven't seen him play.

    However, DH sees a whole lot of Arizona Cardinals football, so he may have a more insight about his play than most of us, and definitely more than I have.

    DH.....

    What are your thoughts on Alan Branch as a NT?
    I've seen him play a lot and he is a back up for a reason. While he had his best year in '10 because Calais Campbell was injured quite a bit, he is still only a back up in my mind. I don't have his stats in front of me but he probably only has 3 or 4 sacks and 50 -60 total tackles in 4 years. Every year he has had a weight problem which is one reason Whisenhunt wasn't all that high on him. He did trim down to a slim 340 or so towards the end of last season however. He seems to get knocked down more than I would like therefore not making him very disruptive at the line. It started out looking as though he was going to be injury prone playing only 15 games in his first 2 years. Yes he started as a rookie in '07. I don't know that this guy brings anything that we don't have now to that position. It would have to be on the cheap for me to take a look at him....

  11. #40
    Member Since
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    415
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 2

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunker Hillbilly View Post
    I've seen him play a lot and he is a back up for a reason. While he had his best year in '10 because Calais Campbell was injured quite a bit, he is still only a back up in my mind. I don't have his stats in front of me but he probably only has 3 or 4 sacks and 50 -60 total tackles in 4 years. Every year he has had a weight problem which is one reason Whisenhunt wasn't all that high on him. He did trim down to a slim 340 or so towards the end of last season however. He seems to get knocked down more than I would like therefore not making him very disruptive at the line. It started out looking as though he was going to be injury prone playing only 15 games in his first 2 years. Yes he started as a rookie in '07. I don't know that this guy brings anything that we don't have now to that position. It would have to be on the cheap for me to take a look at him....
    Good lookin out man... I like his size and the fact that he is entering his "prime" with 4 years experience... But have no tape on him. He did play all 16 games in 09 and 10... and the increase in stats in 2010 had me fooled a little I guess... Like maybe a breakout coming.

    The more I think about it I just do not see the front office giving Franklin a big contract... which I have to say may not be a bad thing. I know powe is just a rookie but I don't think that will stop him from seeing significant playing time...
    Kendrick Lewis comes to mind last season... 5th rounder who looked like might need some development but came in a did what I thought for a rookie a great job.
    GO CHIEFS!!!

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Early Free Agency's Rumors!!
    By kenny1937 in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-08-2007, 03:19 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •