Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Chiefs Free Agent News and Rumors

Default Chiefs Free Agent News and Rumors

I didn't see a thread covering free agency news so I thought I would start one. Feel free to add any Chiefs news or rumors regarding free agency here.

According to ArrowheadPride.com, here is a slist of current Chiefs who are unrestricted free agents:

NT Ron Edwards
    DE Shaun Smith
    WR Terrance Copper
    C Casey Wiegmann
    S Jon McGraw
    LB Charlie Anderson
    WR Kevin Curtis
    CB Travis Daniels
    LB Mike Vrabel
    FB Tim Castille
    OT Ryan O'Callaghan
    LB Corey Mays
    TE Leonard Pope
    C Rudy Niswanger
    QB Brodie Croyle

Vrabel has announced his retirement and Wiegman has expressed an interest in playing another year. I think he is a must sign. What other Chiefs do you think we need to sign and who should we let go?

Here are some other UFAs that the Chiefs are reportedly interested in:

Right Tackle: Doug Free (Dallas), Jermon Bushrod (new Orleans)

Last year Jamaal Charles averaged 6.4 yards per carry when running to the left, but only 4.3 ypc when running to the right.

Nose Tackle: Aubrayo Franklin (San Francisco)

The Chiefs drafted Jerrell Powe (6th round) this year but he'll be raw and probably only a rotation player to start with. They may resign Ron Edwards, but if they don't Franklin would would be a force up the middle.

Other free agents that the Chiefs are reportedly interested in:

Offensive Tackle: Jared Gaither (Baltimore)
    Running Back: Le'Ron McClain (Baltimore)
    Wide Receiver: Steve Breaston (Arizona)

What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by TopekaRoy; 07-26-2011 at 02:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DMN View Post
    Agreed... A healthy Jackson can have Shaun Smith line up at NT with Torribio and Powe to spell... We have added Bailey so with Dorsey Jackson Gilberry and Bailey we have depth to rotate at end.

But I am tellin you guys to check out Alan Branch from AZ. This guy is going to be a beast... he is a free agent and posted similar stats last season as franklin and is listed as 2nd string. Not to mention he is 26 and franklin will be 31.
    Not sure what people see in Jackson other than him standing straight up and seeing him flailing around like he is being held. Chiefs defense did better when he was hurt and out of the rotation last year.

Do you all know what pains me? Watching the excuse of a team called the Raiders beat the leaving crap out of our offensive last year, followed up with a beating by the Ravens. Our D line and O line was average maybe at best. If our team is to even compete against the Raiders this year we have to improve at those positions. NOT STATUS Quo... Improve. We are not playing a weak schedule this year. This same cup cake Offensive line and D_line is not going to cut it if we want to compete.

The biggest holes are obviously NT, and O-line. Bolster these positions now while we have the cap space, and lets not assume that some back up is going to magically improve during an off season that is short.

I love the Breaston signing, but it does no good if the Raiders are killing Matt before he can throw the ball.

Do you know Cassel was the #1 QB last year with Throw Aways. He did this to prevent the sack as he was the #1 sacked Qb the year before. Fact of the matter, Cassel and Charles hid the deficiencies of this offensive line. They couldn't do that against good defense lines.

I have to agree with you here... I don't understand why we aren't at least rumored to be after some NT and O-Line prospects... But it is still early.

The argument can be made that Matt has 2 new targets to throw to which should help him get rid of the ball... I would be interested in a stat as to the average time a QB held the ball each play... I can only imagine Matt would be up there.

I am not ready to give up on TJ yet.. he has been in the league 2 years... and injured the majority of the second. Our O-line could definately use some upgrade but there is one thing that really stands out.....

Pass ranking - 30th in the league... with concerns to Matt not making decisions, holding the ball too long, playing ultra conservative, and having a WR corps so bad that we used a 1rst round pick on instead of other key positions and many team analysis had us as having WR be our biggest need... I mean for gods sake we sign Kevin Curtis going into the playoffs...

and now..

Rush ranking - 1rst in the league.... I simply cannot believe that this would be possible without a solid front line... in fact its just not. So our guys up front are doing something right.

Bottom line is that I completely agree that we are not super Bowl caliber.... yet. I will stand by a front office that went from 2-14 seeming as if there were no hope to 2 years later winning the division. Rome wasn't built in a day.. and this great team is young... really young.

I think scheming and a more aggressive strike first passing mentality is going to show just as much effective as signing OL free agents. And with the offseason priorities our front office has shown I can only believe we are to do just that.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    Do you all know what pains me? Watching the excuse of a team called the Raiders beat the leaving crap out of our offensive last year, followed up with a beating by the Ravens. Our D line and O line was average maybe at best. If our team is to even compete against the Raiders this year we have to improve at those positions. NOT STATUS Quo... Improve. We are not playing a weak schedule this year. This same cup cake Offensive line and D_line is not going to cut it if we want to compete.

The biggest holes are obviously NT, and O-line. Bolster these positions now while we have the cap space, and lets not assume that some back up is going to magically improve during an off season that is short.

I love the Breaston signing, but it does no good if the Raiders are killing Matt before he can throw the ball.

Do you know Cassel was the #1 QB last year with Throw Aways. He did this to prevent the sack as he was the #1 sacked Qb the year before. Fact of the matter, Cassel and Charles hid the deficiencies of this offensive line. They couldn't do that against good defense lines.
    So, (From another thread):

Four offensive linemen were among the 10 rookie free agents signed by the Chiefs today.
    The offensive linemen are Chris Harr (6-feet-6, 260 pounds, Tennessee-Chattangooga), Mike Ingersoll (6-5, 300, North Carolina), Butch Lewis (6-5, 295, Southern California) and David Mims (6-8, 335, Virginia Union).
    Two defensive lineman join the group: Brandon Bair (6-7, 272, Oregon) and Lucas Patterson (6-4, 295, Texas A&M).
    The others are tight end Charlie Gantt (6-5, 260, Michigan State), linebacker Amara Kamara (6-1, 240, Temple), wide receiver Josue Paul (6-1, 190, Central Connecticut) and defensive back Demond Washington (5-9, 182, Auburn).

We are reported to be looking at NT Franklin from SF, we drafted Powe, Rodney Hudson (OL) and Alan Bailey (DL). We are also reported to be looking at OT guys from Dallas and somewhere else.

So... Sounds to me like the front office is aware that our trench guys need help/support/upgraded. And drafting Justin Houston is going to aid the DL as well. Our linebacking corps now has Hali, DJ, and Houston at least.

Hopefully all this pans out.

JB

This isn't really relative but definitely not new thread worthy, but if anything might reiterate how well pioli and co work...

With the Kolb trade to AZ for Rodgers-Cromartie AND a 2nd round pick again makes me ecstatic with the value of picking up Cassel and Vrabel for just a 2nd rounder. Kolb has potential for sure... But Cassel was a pro bowl QB with a sorry WR corps. This year is gonna be big!!

In Pioli I trust.....

Just keeping people posted on Franklin. I know we have been wanting to see some news or hints that he may be coming here. Just read this on NFL.con

Jason La Canfora
    Market for defensive tackles slowly forming

Posted: July 28th, 2011 | Jason La Canfora
    Many of the top free agents at defensive tackle are still available, and the market for their services has been slow to form, according to agents and general managers to whom I’ve talked.
    The top available players – Cullen Jenkins, Aubrayo Franklin and Brandon Mebane — have yet to agree to terms, while Haloti Ngata has yet to work out a new deal with the Ravens that gets him off the franchise tag.
    It’s clear that teams have been hesitant to wade in too deeply to this point. Jenkins is being pursued by Dallas and New Orleans, according to league sources, while Franklin is expected by many to land in Kansas City. Seattle has put offers in front of Mebane before and after the lockout, but nothing is imminent at this point.

Denver, St. Louis, Cleveland and Chicago also are shopping for defensive linemen, but they could end up making more bargain plays in the market. On that level, Saints DT Anthony Hargrove and Colts DT Dan Muir are garnering attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunker Hillbilly View Post
    I've seen him play a lot and he is a back up for a reason. While he had his best year in '10 because Calais Campbell was injured quite a bit, he is still only a back up in my mind. I don't have his stats in front of me but he probably only has 3 or 4 sacks and 50 -60 total tackles in 4 years. Every year he has had a weight problem which is one reason Whisenhunt wasn't all that high on him. He did trim down to a slim 340 or so towards the end of last season however. He seems to get knocked down more than I would like therefore not making him very disruptive at the line. It started out looking as though he was going to be injury prone playing only 15 games in his first 2 years. Yes he started as a rookie in '07. I don't know that this guy brings anything that we don't have now to that position. It would have to be on the cheap for me to take a look at him....
    I knew you'd be the guy to ask about a Cardinal, being down in the desert.

Thanks.

Sounds like he would be a bit of a risk, and might have an unreasonable pricetag with the statline from 2010.

By the way, you did have his stats in front of ya. I gave ya a link. ( Alan Branch, NT for the Arizona Cardinals at NFL.com )

You should work on learning to use your PC.

I tease. But anyway...

Thanks again for the scoop on Branch.

I had a feeling that struggling to win a starting job on the Arizona defense was a bad omen.

mark my words, leron mcclain will be a chief

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    I knew you'd be the guy to ask about a Cardinal, being down in the desert.

Thanks.

Sounds like he would be a bit of a risk, and might have an unreasonable pricetag with the statline from 2010.

By the way, you did have his stats in front of ya. I gave ya a link. ( Alan Branch, NT for the Arizona Cardinals at NFL.com )

You should work on learning to use your PC.

I tease. But anyway...

Thanks again for the scoop on Branch.

I had a feeling that struggling to win a starting job on the Arizona defense was a bad omen.
    Ya I knew you linked it up but I was too lazy to look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by hometeam View Post
    mark my words, leron mcclain will be a chief
    I am going to second that... Read reports and then checked for proof myself.

He has started following JC, S Breaston, and most importantly the chiefs PR (Josh Looney) on twitter in the last day.

Coincidence? think not.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast