Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Chiefs Free Agent News and Rumors

Default Chiefs Free Agent News and Rumors

I didn't see a thread covering free agency news so I thought I would start one. Feel free to add any Chiefs news or rumors regarding free agency here.

According to ArrowheadPride.com, here is a slist of current Chiefs who are unrestricted free agents:

NT Ron Edwards
    DE Shaun Smith
    WR Terrance Copper
    C Casey Wiegmann
    S Jon McGraw
    LB Charlie Anderson
    WR Kevin Curtis
    CB Travis Daniels
    LB Mike Vrabel
    FB Tim Castille
    OT Ryan O'Callaghan
    LB Corey Mays
    TE Leonard Pope
    C Rudy Niswanger
    QB Brodie Croyle

Vrabel has announced his retirement and Wiegman has expressed an interest in playing another year. I think he is a must sign. What other Chiefs do you think we need to sign and who should we let go?

Here are some other UFAs that the Chiefs are reportedly interested in:

Right Tackle: Doug Free (Dallas), Jermon Bushrod (new Orleans)

Last year Jamaal Charles averaged 6.4 yards per carry when running to the left, but only 4.3 ypc when running to the right.

Nose Tackle: Aubrayo Franklin (San Francisco)

The Chiefs drafted Jerrell Powe (6th round) this year but he'll be raw and probably only a rotation player to start with. They may resign Ron Edwards, but if they don't Franklin would would be a force up the middle.

Other free agents that the Chiefs are reportedly interested in:

Offensive Tackle: Jared Gaither (Baltimore)
    Running Back: Le'Ron McClain (Baltimore)
    Wide Receiver: Steve Breaston (Arizona)

What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by TopekaRoy; 07-26-2011 at 02:17 AM.

Definitely love the Breaston signing. That should give Cassell another legit target on the outside and defenses can't just key on Bowe.
    Keeping my britches between the ditches! :character00182:

I saw on another board that Moeaki is going on the PUP list, any truth to that?

I am not getting the feeling the Chiefs are in this FA game. Players are walking out the door and no signs of replacements? News out of KC is slow and weak. Any new rumors?

Here is FACT for you. Free agency started immediately. There was no period for the team to sign rookies, no slotof time to sign their own players, and no slot of time to sign Free agents. It was Here you go, sign away and get to camp.

How do you prioritize this? It takes time to work out the contracts for all the rookies, and signing playres. It is not as simple as printing a form and signing it.

I firmly the belive the Chiefs have a plan. They most likley already have something in the works for NT, and O line etc...

for instance Wallace Gilberry tweeted the other day that I guess he has to play the waiting game as he is not getting any love. Five hours later he said, everything was good he just needed to open his eyes.

Someone from the Chiefs probably called him and said. Gilby... We have all this stuff we have to do. Since we have a Restricted Tender on you, you are a lower priority. If a team is willing to offer you a contract and give us a second we will match it, other wise, let us work on the deals we have less control over and we will take care of you when the time is right.

I strongly believe the Chiefs would not have let Ron Edwards or Shaun Smith walk if they didn't already have a plan to proceed without them.

So far, there has really been no significant player to sign that has been on the radar. Franklin is still ou there, as well as many offensive linemen.

Please be patient. I strongly believe Pioli knows what he is doing, the time schedule just has not allowed him to show all his cards.

Franklin and McClain will be Chiefs by the end of the day

Lets also keep in mind that both Pioli and Haley seem to prefer to do things in private rather than in the media glare. I suspect that they are doing everything in their power to keep their FA signings secret until they have done everything they want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by #58ChiefsFan View Post
    Franklin and McClain will be Chiefs by the end of the day
    There was a lot of Smoke with the McClain deal and it was coming from McClain's side. I think this is a deal that will be done.

There is a lot of Naitonal Smoke with Franklin and the fact he is not visiting other teams makes me think it could be a done deal too.

If Franklin signs with a different team then I will begin to get concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by DMN View Post
    I am going to second that... Read reports and then checked for proof myself.

He has started following JC, S Breaston, and most importantly the chiefs PR (Josh Looney) on twitter in the last day.

Coincidence? think not.
    Agreed! here's the news that you just posted.

Check this report out!

Quote Originally Posted by Jrudi View Post
    Agreed! here's the news that you just posted.

Check this report out!
    That's all good stuff but still just rumors. Teams can officially start signing FAs at 5:00pm central. I think a lot of these deals (including McClain) are already worked out but just haven't been disclosed yet.

I'm pretty sure we'll get McClain. not sure about Franklin, but hopeful. Tonight's gonna be nuts. there will be lots of big news and lots of head scratching. I'll bet.

I'm hoping we'll be hearing tonight about some things that haven't even been hinted at. Pioli seems to like to do things in secret. I'm hoping he's going to be rolling out some secrets for us tonight.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast