Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Chiefs Free Agent News and Rumors

Default Chiefs Free Agent News and Rumors

I didn't see a thread covering free agency news so I thought I would start one. Feel free to add any Chiefs news or rumors regarding free agency here.

According to ArrowheadPride.com, here is a slist of current Chiefs who are unrestricted free agents:

NT Ron Edwards
    DE Shaun Smith
    WR Terrance Copper
    C Casey Wiegmann
    S Jon McGraw
    LB Charlie Anderson
    WR Kevin Curtis
    CB Travis Daniels
    LB Mike Vrabel
    FB Tim Castille
    OT Ryan O'Callaghan
    LB Corey Mays
    TE Leonard Pope
    C Rudy Niswanger
    QB Brodie Croyle

Vrabel has announced his retirement and Wiegman has expressed an interest in playing another year. I think he is a must sign. What other Chiefs do you think we need to sign and who should we let go?

Here are some other UFAs that the Chiefs are reportedly interested in:

Right Tackle: Doug Free (Dallas), Jermon Bushrod (new Orleans)

Last year Jamaal Charles averaged 6.4 yards per carry when running to the left, but only 4.3 ypc when running to the right.

Nose Tackle: Aubrayo Franklin (San Francisco)

The Chiefs drafted Jerrell Powe (6th round) this year but he'll be raw and probably only a rotation player to start with. They may resign Ron Edwards, but if they don't Franklin would would be a force up the middle.

Other free agents that the Chiefs are reportedly interested in:

Offensive Tackle: Jared Gaither (Baltimore)
    Running Back: Le'Ron McClain (Baltimore)
    Wide Receiver: Steve Breaston (Arizona)

What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by TopekaRoy; 07-26-2011 at 02:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    Do you all know what pains me? Watching the excuse of a team called the Raiders beat the leaving crap out of our offensive last year, followed up with a beating by the Ravens. Our D line and O line was average maybe at best. If our team is to even compete against the Raiders this year we have to improve at those positions. NOT STATUS Quo... Improve. We are not playing a weak schedule this year. This same cup cake Offensive line and D_line is not going to cut it if we want to compete.

The biggest holes are obviously NT, and O-line. Bolster these positions now while we have the cap space, and lets not assume that some back up is going to magically improve during an off season that is short.

I love the Breaston signing, but it does no good if the Raiders are killing Matt before he can throw the ball.

Do you know Cassel was the #1 QB last year with Throw Aways. He did this to prevent the sack as he was the #1 sacked Qb the year before. Fact of the matter, Cassel and Charles hid the deficiencies of this offensive line. They couldn't do that against good defense lines.
    You saw the exact same thing I did. The o-line is average we just happen to have a RB with explosive speed that gets by defenders before they can get there. Most RBs get tackled. Thomas Jones was proof of that he couldn't get anything going. And teams seem to run on us with ease. If we don't sign players like Blalock and Franklin on OL and DL I agree with you that these players that have seen their better days or players that might do something at a cheap price won't cut it. We have the young players in place if we want to get serious about the Super Bowl the window of oppourtunity is now. Cassell might be here a couple more years and Charles might be the same if you look at the average life of a RB in the NFL these days. I think some great players on OL a DT and another good safety and we might be talking serious contenders. Signing cheap players to get us by and we look forward to the draft next year AGAIN.

Why have we not seen the inking of deals for both Hali and Carr? Are they working out with the team right now? I don't think so. I would have thought those two would have been no brainers and should have been done already.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Quote Originally Posted by Hayvern View Post
    Why have we not seen the inking of deals for both Hali and Carr? Are they working out with the team right now? I don't think so. I would have thought those two would have been no brainers and should have been done already.

I think it is a high priority and I'm sure they are in the works, but I would imagine that the condensed time frame to sign FA's has bumped up signing FA's from other team in the priority rankings.

Plus both aren't going anywhere. Hali has been franchised, and Carr has a 1st round tender to his name. I would imagine they will get to work shortly on wrapping up their contracts. (As far as I know Hali should be in camp..Unless he is holding out... He is considered under contract for this year, now Carr may not be since he is considered a Restricted FA.)

Also saw a post about someone not knowing much about Leron McClain. Dude is a stud. He's a FB that can run like a Tailback. If we landed him it would be awesome, we would have one of the best young FB's in the league opening up holes for Jamaal Charles. and He would take over btwn the tackles form TJ, and can catch out of the backfield as well. Definitely a huge upgrade from both Cox and Castile, I can only imagine the holes JC would have if he had a decent Fullback like McClain in front of him. I hope we land him!

Quote Originally Posted by Jrudi View Post
    I think it is a high priority and I'm sure they are in the works, but I would imagine that the condensed time frame to sign FA's has bumped up signing FA's from other team in the priority rankings.

Plus both aren't going anywhere. Hali has been franchised, and Carr has a 1st round tender to his name. I would imagine they will get to work shortly on wrapping up their contracts. (As far as I know Hali should be in camp..Unless he is holding out... He is considered under contract for this year, now Carr may not be since he is considered a Restricted FA.)

Also saw a post about someone not knowing much about Leron McClain. Dude is a stud. He's a FB that can run like a Tailback. If we landed him it would be awesome, we would have one of the best young FB's in the league opening up holes for Jamaal Charles. and He would take over btwn the tackles form TJ, and can catch out of the backfield as well. Definitely a huge upgrade from both Cox and Castile, I can only imagine the holes JC would have if he had a decent Fullback like McClain in front of him. I hope we land him!
    JC is a run-behind-blocks RB, then explodes his speed. A good blocker means even more yards.
    The best Chilean fan.
    Follow me on twitter @ChileanChief

Quote Originally Posted by josh1971 View Post
    Just a question on McClain? With McCluster and Jones- why are we so hot after a RB? Not being snarky, I just don't know much about McClain.
    He's a young fullback that's already made it to the pro bowl twice in his career. He's versatile and can play HB if need be and is good on short yardage and goaline situations. He even scored 10 tds in a season not too long ago. He's a beast and has played on a good winning team with a great coaching staff, so he brings a winning attitude with him. Picking him up would be a great signing.

it doesnt matter if hali or car signs the tendurs yet cuz they cant practice till thursday either way.

If anyone was still interested in Franklin, He is supposedly talking to San Fran about a new contract.

Quote Originally Posted by captainamerica View Post
    He's a young fullback that's already made it to the pro bowl twice in his career. He's versatile and can play HB if need be and is good on short yardage and goaline situations. He even scored 10 tds in a season not too long ago. He's a beast and has played on a good winning team with a great coaching staff, so he brings a winning attitude with him. Picking him up would be a great signing.
    Coolness- thanks for the info, because I knew absolutely NOTHING about the guy, but now it makes sense to snag him. I hope we do.

Speaking of McClain...

Has anyone heard any updates about us bringin him on??

McClain is a Chief (twitter sources)
    The best Chilean fan.
    Follow me on twitter @ChileanChief

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast