Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Chiefs Free Agent News and Rumors

Default Chiefs Free Agent News and Rumors

I didn't see a thread covering free agency news so I thought I would start one. Feel free to add any Chiefs news or rumors regarding free agency here.

According to ArrowheadPride.com, here is a slist of current Chiefs who are unrestricted free agents:

NT Ron Edwards
    DE Shaun Smith
    WR Terrance Copper
    C Casey Wiegmann
    S Jon McGraw
    LB Charlie Anderson
    WR Kevin Curtis
    CB Travis Daniels
    LB Mike Vrabel
    FB Tim Castille
    OT Ryan O'Callaghan
    LB Corey Mays
    TE Leonard Pope
    C Rudy Niswanger
    QB Brodie Croyle

Vrabel has announced his retirement and Wiegman has expressed an interest in playing another year. I think he is a must sign. What other Chiefs do you think we need to sign and who should we let go?

Here are some other UFAs that the Chiefs are reportedly interested in:

Right Tackle: Doug Free (Dallas), Jermon Bushrod (new Orleans)

Last year Jamaal Charles averaged 6.4 yards per carry when running to the left, but only 4.3 ypc when running to the right.

Nose Tackle: Aubrayo Franklin (San Francisco)

The Chiefs drafted Jerrell Powe (6th round) this year but he'll be raw and probably only a rotation player to start with. They may resign Ron Edwards, but if they don't Franklin would would be a force up the middle.

Other free agents that the Chiefs are reportedly interested in:

Offensive Tackle: Jared Gaither (Baltimore)
    Running Back: Le'Ron McClain (Baltimore)
    Wide Receiver: Steve Breaston (Arizona)

What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by TopekaRoy; 07-26-2011 at 02:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DMN View Post
    Edwards to the panthers on a 3 year deal... Pioli is going to have to get on his horse today and get a NT...

Color me a little worried..

Teicher: Ron Edwards Signs With Carolina Panthers « Arrowhead Addict | A Kansas City Chiefs blog
    I'm only a little worried- it sounds like KC is interested in at least one free agent NT, and we did draft Powe (who is a rookie).

I don't know enough about Toribio to know if we're in serious trouble there.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie Jo View Post
    Weigman has been re-signed by the Chiefs for another year, according to what I've read here & there online. :)
    based on his conversation with 810 sports he is out on the lake with Ryan Lilja and has signed no deal with the Chiefs and wont sign a deal until Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by josh1971 View Post
    I'm only a little worried- it sounds like KC is interested in at least one free agent NT, and we did draft Powe (who is a rookie).

I don't know enough about Toribio to know if we're in serious trouble there.
    I think he and the Chiesf new his time in KC was done. They probably made it clear to Ron that they won't re-sign him.

I hope the fact that the Chiefs let Edwards go is an indication that they will sign
    Aubreyo Franklin. You can't expect Powe, a 6th round pick to start right away. If the Chiefs do get Franklin, I'll be very happy with this move.

Would love to see some rumors about us signing McClain or Snelling
    Great Googly Moogly

RyanD82 - Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by DC_Chiefsfan View Post
    Would love to see some rumors about us signing McClain or Snelling
    I haven't found anything definite, yet, but BaltimoreBeatDown.com has this:
    LeRon McClain Being Targeted By Chiefs?

by Bruce Raffel on Jul 27, 2011 6:00 AM EDT

Larry French - Getty Images
    9 months ago: BALTIMORE MD - OCTOBER 24: Le'Ron McClain #33 of the Baltimore Ravens runs the ball against the Buffalo Bills at M&T Bank Stadium on October 24 2010 in Baltimore Maryland. The Ravens defeated the Bills 37-34. (Photo by Larry French/Getty Images)

If the Baltimore Ravens cannot figure out a way to retain free agent fullback LeRon McClain, the Kansas City Chiefs might be more than willing to take him off of our hands. Thinking of pairing him with RB Jamaal Charles, McClain would be a solid one-two punch for the Chiefs an would also save wear and tear on the smaller but shiftier Charles.

In a story by Aaron Wilson of the Carroll County Times, referenced by SB Nation, it is reported that McClain will not be pursued by the Ravens, thus letting him test the free agent market. The Chiefs do have a FB on the team, but the combination of McClain outside and Charles inside fits rght into their offense, who focuses on the run setting up QB Matt Cassel for the pass.

The loss of McClain along with RB Willis McGahee will leave huge holes to fill in the Ravens rush offense. However, starter Ray Rice still will continue to get the bulk of the carries, but the team remains undecided who will complement Rice and spell him enough to limit the beating he could take as a full-time featured back in the Ravens offense.
    Can't find anything on Snelling, right now

From the Portland Examiner ...
    The NFL lockout is over, and teams are now able to sign all the undrafted free agents who have been without work since graduating from their respective schools. On Tuesday, Brandon Bair signed with the Kansas City Chiefs, making him one of five Oregon graduates to join NFL teams in the past 24 hours.

At 6-7, 272 pounds, Bair will have to add a bit more bulk to be successful in the NFL, but joining Kansas City's 3-4 defense should bode well for him, giving him the flexibility to play both at the defensive end and outside linebacker positions. Bair played defensive tackle for the Ducks, but he was built for Oregon's speed, making him extremely versatile.

Full Story

I wouldn't be discouraged by the lack of action by the Chiefs (to this point) in Free Agency. Consider this:

Next year Dwayne Bowe, Brandon Flowers, Tamba Hali, and Brandon Carr will all be free agents...With a decent amount of room under the salary floor, I wouldn't be surprised if Pioli's #1 priority is getting these guys signed long term. That's my hope at least.

Quote Originally Posted by DMN View Post
    Edwards to the panthers on a 3 year deal... Pioli is going to have to get on his horse today and get a NT...

Color me a little worried..

Teicher: Ron Edwards Signs With Carolina Panthers « Arrowhead Addict | A Kansas City Chiefs blog
    Looks more likely that A. Franklin from San Fran may be a top priority.

5 minutes ago - by Bob Gretz - Chiefs in no hurry to signTamba Hali
    Signing OLB Tamba Hali quickly is not likely to be a priority for the Chiefs. Hali finished last season with both shoulders being injured. Even if the team’s franchise player was on board, he’d likely be held out of the early practice work as a precaution. Chiefs RapidReports
    They put a "franchise" tag on him, but they aren't in a hurry to sign him!? I guess that makes sense ... kinda.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast