Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chiefs move Lilja from RG to LG

Default Chiefs move Lilja from RG to LG

by Bob Gretz - Lilja moves from RG to LG for first practice
    The No. 1 offensive line in the opening practice featured Branden Albert at LT. Last year’s RG, Ryan Lilja, moved to LG. Darryl Harris was at center, Jon Asamoah at RG and Bobby Greenwood at RT. Second-round pick Rodney Hudson was the second-team center. Chiefs RapidReports
    I don't know if this a permanent move but I guess harris and Hudson meed the practice at center, and Asamoah needs to get in his reps.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    If you watched the offensive line instead if looking at their stats you would see cassel was constantly pressured and quickly, he threw balls away more than any other qb.

You presented the fact that hide the weakness. Charles and cassel hide the pathetic play of the oline.

Jones and Johnson both failed behind this line. Fact of the matter is charless was the running game. Not the oline.

Look at the stats against the raiders and ravens and tell me you are comfortable with this line.
    I think Charles had the biggest impact on our pass protection of any player on the field.

The threat of Charles cutting underneath an outside speed-rush on the delay was seriously gashing defenses.

Making a defense look so bad at that exact section has to have effected some pass rushers, and made them think twice about "pinning the ears back" and just pass-rushing with reckless abandon.

I know that, if that is my side of the field, and a HB is breaking of steady ten yard chunks because I am opening the hole for him, I can not help but to react and respond.

Quote Originally Posted by SAPHOJUNKIE View Post
    Why is that? We had the #1 rushing team last year and Cassel wasn't overly sacked.

I don't understand everyone panicking about offensive line.

Asamoah is ready to step in, and it's being said that he might already be the best lineman on the team.

Hudson is going to be a beast, and Weigmann is back.

The only thing we lost was Brian Waters, and frankly I'm much happier with Asamoah in the starting lineup than Waters.

I just think that with the new killer B's WR's we will have to give Cassel more time to throw. Cassel is not a quick passer, and even with Charles, he will need more time to get the receivers down the field. With Waters gone we are a weaker OL, but in a positive note we have freed up lots of money and thinks its almost certain they will bring in someone via FA.

I don't understand how we're weaker with Waters gone. I've seen response's that range from "the sky is falling" to Waters has been living on his reputation for a few years.

Everyone has their own opinion but mine is that Waters wasn't what he once was. Asamoah is a fine step in and will do just as good if not better than Waters and there's no better experience then game experience. Does our line need some help...yes. Is the sky falling and we're going to leak like a sieve, no.

Haley and Pioli brought us from an abysmal season to the top of the AFC West, if they decide that there are better prospects than Waters I'm willing to hold off and trust in their decision.

Also jap you had mentioned that since they've had a long time off there will probably be more minor injuries. I actually think we might see the reverse. For the guys that have been playing for several years this might just be what was needed for their bodies to heal up...or you could be spot on. Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by OPLookn View Post
    I don't understand how we're weaker with Waters gone. I've seen response's that range from "the sky is falling" to Waters has been living on his reputation for a few years.

Everyone has their own opinion but mine is that Waters wasn't what he once was. Asamoah is a fine step in and will do just as good if not better than Waters and there's no better experience then game experience. Does our line need some help...yes. Is the sky falling and we're going to leak like a sieve, no.

Haley and Pioli brought us from an abysmal season to the top of the AFC West, if they decide that there are better prospects than Waters I'm willing to hold off and trust in their decision.

Also jap you had mentioned that since they've had a long time off there will probably be more minor injuries. I actually think we might see the reverse. For the guys that have been playing for several years this might just be what was needed for their bodies to heal up...or you could be spot on. Time will tell.
    It is only weaker as there is no Depth at Guard behind Asomoah and Lilja.

The offensive line is still weak at RT.

It is only weaker as there is no Depth at Guard behind Asomoah and Lilja.

The offensive line is still weak at RT.
    And free agency isn't over yet, so I imagine will get some more guys. Wasn't there an O-line guy we just recently brought in who was like, 6'8" and 340 pounds or something like that? Just running around the guy would take an extra 2 seconds.

If you watched the offensive line instead if looking at their stats you would see cassel was constantly pressured and quickly, he threw balls away more than any other qb.

You presented the fact that hide the weakness. Charles and cassel hide the pathetic play of the oline.

Jones and Johnson both failed behind this line. Fact of the matter is charless was the running game. Not the oline.

Look at the stats against the raiders and ravens and tell me you are comfortable with this line.
    I'm not just looking at the stats. I believe Brian Waters lost a significant step in his pass protection, and by replacing him with Asamoah (via Lilja), we took a significant step forward.

The problem is that a lot of people think that Waters was the best piece of the OL, so we are weaker. I believe he was literally the weakest link on the OL. I think the line got better with the addition of Asamoah into the starting lineup and Hudson into the rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by SAPHOJUNKIE View Post
    I'm not just looking at the stats. I believe Brian Waters lost a significant step in his pass protection, and by replacing him with Asamoah (via Lilja), we took a significant step forward.

The problem is that a lot of people think that Waters was the best piece of the OL, so we are weaker. I believe he was literally the weakest link on the OL. I think the line got better with the addition of Asamoah into the starting lineup and Hudson into the rotation.
    Oh I think Losing Waters is an improvement. I am just of the opinion though that replacing him was not improvement alone. The #1 running game is attributed to Charles not the offensive line. The decrease in sacks is due to Cassel throwing the ball away instead of taking the sacks.

The offensive line is a weakness still.

Center needs an upgrade. Hopefully Hudson will be that guy, but I am not sure.

Right tackle is also a strong weakness that needs improvement.

Oh I think Losing Waters is an improvement. I am just of the opinion though that replacing him was not improvement alone. The #1 running game is attributed to Charles not the offensive line. The decrease in sacks is due to Cassel throwing the ball away instead of taking the sacks.

The offensive line is a weakness still.

Center needs an upgrade. Hopefully Hudson will be that guy, but I am not sure.

Right tackle is also a strong weakness that needs improvement.

Charles I would agree is a big reason that the O line looked better a year ago but I don't think it's all Charles. I think the O line did show some improvement. Albert had a solid season. He struggled late in the season and needs to show he can keep a higher level of play for a whole season but He did take some steps forward. If he takes more steps forward then that will be nothing but good for this team. Loseing waters is not a HUGE deal. He was ageing. Part of the reason we got to the 2-14 season a few years ago is that we kept guys to long. It is somewhat encourging that we are not doing that. Even if the guy has given so many great years. He will be missed for sure and had a great time as a Chief. But sometimes it's just time to move on.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Waters was getting older and it showed on the field, but I think he was much needed for his leadership, and it does take away depth, unless the Undrafted FA Mr. Bigboy (is it Mims?) makes the team.

Chifs?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nmgice3ieZ4"]&#x202a;Snickers Chefs&#x202c;&rlm; - YouTube[/ame]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast