Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Hold your horses...

Default Hold your horses...

I am not sure if I am the only one who overlooked this but I heard a lot of talk about us reaching the league minimum and our activity in free agency... found this very interesting.

Per-team spending minimum doesn’t apply until 2013 | ProFootballTalk

Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    See the problem is that you seem to think we should go from 4-12 to SuperBowl. That is ridiculous, sure we had an easier schedule last season and we lost to better teams, BUT we won 10 games (equal to the total from the past 3 seasons) and we won the AFC West. The rest of the division faced a similar schedule to us and WE won the division. Sure, JC makes his O line look better, what good RB doesn't make the line look better? TJones didnt get a lot of yards because it was clear that he was going straight up the middle every time he got the ball yet he still managed close to 900yards as a #2 RB. These guys are getting better and will be around for a long time to come.

We lost Charlie Weiss at an sh!tty time at the end of last season, I think that greatly affected play calling going into the playoffs. Charlie Weiss is NOT irreplacable. With new WRs for Cassel to throw to, our offence will open up. Big and fast is what we will be. Everyone has a difference of opinion when it comes to drafting, but you can't argue with results. Pioli played a pretty big role in New England as far as player personnel went. Sure Bellicheck is a great coach, but Pioli has proven that he can play a major role in building a winner. He finds quality players and does not have to break the bank doing it. Albert Haynesworth went for $100 million, should we have grabbed him?

Free Agency isn't even 24 hours old yet and already you are saying the sky is falling. We still have a ton of roster spots to fill, and the money to do so with good players all over the field. Dont forget we need depth at a lot of positions. I would rather have a bunch of good players than 1 great player and no $$ to pay the rest of them. Have a little patience and give these guys the time necessary to build a long term winner. Rome want built in a day.
    I just don't hold out any hope for us getting great players in free agency. That is all I am saying. Clark won't allow it. No we don't go from 4-12 to super bowl in two years but you keep building to get there and draft alone won't get it done THAT IS what I am saying. New England got Haynesworth so yes he must still be good and only for a 5th round pick. We need depth at a lot of positions? EXACTLY because we don't really use free agency but to sign some cheap players here and there. We rely on draft alone and we will constantly have holes to fill for years. That is what got us in this mess to begin with. We have used the rebuilding excuse for how many years now? Herm's 2nd year here is when it started. It is basically all an excuse for Clark to save money and now we are called the KC Cheaps.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefsrule View Post
    I just don't hold out any hope for us getting great players in free agency. That is all I am saying. Clark won't allow it. No we don't go from 4-12 to super bowl in two years but you keep building to get there and draft alone won't get it done THAT IS what I am saying. New England got Haynesworth so yes he must still be good and only for a 5th round pick. We need depth at a lot of positions? EXACTLY because we don't really use free agency but to sign some cheap players here and there. We rely on draft alone and we will constantly have holes to fill for years. That is what got us in this mess to begin with. We have used the rebuilding excuse for how many years now? Herm's 2nd year here is when it started. It is basically all an excuse for Clark to save money and now we are called the KC Cheaps.

Getting great free agents isn't a proven way to build a winner that can compete year in and year out. Yes the pats sign some big names now but look at there superbowl champs they won super bowls with guys they made into names. Tom Brady was not on anyones radar comeing out of college. Wes welker was not as well known as he is now. Troy Brown was a big part of there super bowl teams. This team doesn't want to build a team that can compete for a title in 2011-2012 they want to become like the pats contenders every year.

And Steve Breston is a pretty good WR that we went out and got. Last year we went out and got Thomas Jones. It's not like we haven't went after anyone in the free agent market. Free agency is not even a day old yet. I am sure we will be getting more guys. As Pioli says "It's not about the best 53 its' the RIGHT 53"
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

See the problem is that you seem to think we should go from 4-12 to SuperBowl. That is ridiculous, sure we had an easier schedule last season and we lost to better teams, BUT we won 10 games (equal to the total from the past 3 seasons) and we won the AFC West. The rest of the division faced a similar schedule to us and WE won the division. Sure, JC makes his O line look better, what good RB doesn't make the line look better? TJones didnt get a lot of yards because it was clear that he was going straight up the middle every time he got the ball yet he still managed close to 900yards as a #2 RB. These guys are getting better and will be around for a long time to come.

We lost Charlie Weiss at an sh!tty time at the end of last season, I think that greatly affected play calling going into the playoffs. Charlie Weiss is NOT irreplacable. With new WRs for Cassel to throw to, our offence will open up. Big and fast is what we will be. Everyone has a difference of opinion when it comes to drafting, but you can't argue with results. Pioli played a pretty big role in New England as far as player personnel went. Sure Bellicheck is a great coach, but Pioli has proven that he can play a major role in building a winner. He finds quality players and does not have to break the bank doing it. Albert Haynesworth went for $100 million, should we have grabbed him?

Free Agency isn't even 24 hours old yet and already you are saying the sky is falling. We still have a ton of roster spots to fill, and the money to do so with good players all over the field. Dont forget we need depth at a lot of positions. I would rather have a bunch of good players than 1 great player and no $$ to pay the rest of them. Have a little patience and give these guys the time necessary to build a long term winner. Rome want built in a day.
    Well we have been BUILDING for quite awhile now....four or five years? I think it has just become an excuse for Clark to save money. Reason we have so many holes to fill is because we rely on draft alone and just sign free agents to get us by or CHEAP players. When they come up with a minimum amount for teams like us and call us KC CHEAPS that should say it all.

Well we have been BUILDING for quite awhile now....four or five years? I think it has just become an excuse for Clark to save money. Reason we have so many holes to fill is because we rely on draft alone and just sign free agents to get us by or CHEAP players. When they come up with a minimum amount for teams like us and call us KC CHEAPS that should say it all.
    First let me say, you are the ONLY person I have ever heard say KC Cheaps.

Second, there is a right time to sign free agents and there is a wrong time. You can't blame Pioli/Haley for anything that happened in the Herm/CP era. This is new management and so far all they have done is improve the team. You want to sign big names all the time, we would have had haynesworth last season and he sucked balls. You have to build a core to a team, take care of your players long term and when the time is right, sign the "big name talent" ...and we will be able to do that...do you know why? Because we have not thrown $$ around at every player that commands $100 million. If we did that we would be the Redskins or the Cowboys. But again...feel free to complain about the lack of free agency moves n a free agency period that has only been open for 22 hours. Seems like a very informed criticism you are making.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

First let me say, you are the ONLY person I have ever heard say KC Cheaps.

Second, there is a right time to sign free agents and there is a wrong time. You can't blame Pioli/Haley for anything that happened in the Herm/CP era. This is new management and so far all they have done is improve the team. You want to sign big names all the time, we would have had haynesworth last season and he sucked balls. You have to build a core to a team, take care of your players long term and when the time is right, sign the "big name talent" ...and we will be able to do that...do you know why? Because we have not thrown $$ around at every player that commands $100 million. If we did that we would be the Redskins or the Cowboys. But again...feel free to complain about the lack of free agency moves n a free agency period that has only been open for 22 hours. Seems like a very informed criticism you are making.
    Drew Brees Uses 2009 Chiefs As Example Of Low-Spending Teams - Arrowhead Pride

When is the right time to sign free agents? 10 years from now? the right time is when you have a good nucleus which we have and you fill in with good free agents. These holes you talk about will always be there just relying on the draft alone and signing cheap free agents. You keep using Haynesworth as an example. I can give you more examples of expensive free agents that helped their team. New england is known for constantly bringing in good players and lets see how ocho cinco and Haynesworth do now on a well coached team.

With the success we had last season I didn't want people to think my post was out of frustration that we weren't more active in FA... I am drinking the Pioli Koolaid. I just wanted to shed some light as to the fact that we aren't required to spend the money this year.

Washington buys everybody and are terrible...
    When it comes down to brass tacks I know our front office will spend the money when they think the guy is worth it.

Drew Brees Uses 2009 Chiefs As Example Of Low-Spending Teams - Arrowhead Pride

When is the right time to sign free agents? 10 years from now? the right time is when you have a good nucleus which we have and you fill in with good free agents. These holes you talk about will always be there just relying on the draft alone and signing cheap free agents. You keep using Haynesworth as an example. I can give you more examples of expensive free agents that helped their team. New england is known for constantly bringing in good players and lets see how ocho cinco and Haynesworth do now on a well coached team.
    Drew Brees used the worst possible year to use when he made that statement. In 09 we were undergoing a 100% redo of our front office and coaching staff. We were not going to be a competive team no matter who we spent money on. Last year WE DID sign a couple of key free agents. This year so far we have brought in a couple of free agents in Braston and Gregg. WE ARE NOT ONLY useing the draft. They may not be huge names but we tried that for a number of years. We went out and traded for Joe Montana we brought in Andre Rison who at the time was one of the more hyped WRs in the NFL. We tried that game and it didn't get us anywhere.

You refer to the Pats being well known for bringing in some of the best players. They haven't won a super bowl since they started doing that. When they won there super bowls they were key about who they got but mostly used there own players who they drafted. (tom Brady richard seymore troy brown ty law(anther name we have brought in) guys like that were the keys to there super bowl wins. And when Brady went down in 08 boom they had cassel right there to replace him. They are in a diffrent spot then this team is right now. We can one day get to that spot but at this point we can't go around acting like we are the pats. We have to catch up with them first. And this team is A LOT closer to them then we were two years ago.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    Drew Brees used the worst possible year to use when he made that statement. In 09 we were undergoing a 100% redo of our front office and coaching staff. We were not going to be a competive team no matter who we spent money on. Last year WE DID sign a couple of key free agents. This year so far we have brought in a couple of free agents in Braston and Gregg. WE ARE NOT ONLY useing the draft. They may not be huge names but we tried that for a number of years. We went out and traded for Joe Montana we brought in Andre Rison who at the time was one of the more hyped WRs in the NFL. We tried that game and it didn't get us anywhere.

You refer to the Pats being well known for bringing in some of the best players. They haven't won a super bowl since they started doing that. When they won there super bowls they were key about who they got but mostly used there own players who they drafted. (tom Brady richard seymore troy brown ty law(anther name we have brought in) guys like that were the keys to there super bowl wins. And when Brady went down in 08 boom they had cassel right there to replace him. They are in a diffrent spot then this team is right now. We can one day get to that spot but at this point we can't go around acting like we are the pats. We have to catch up with them first. And this team is A LOT closer to them then we were two years ago.
    2010 wasn't much better and we are way under that now. I know we have Hali to sign but still will be one of the cheapest teams in the NFL. Last year we signed a couple of key free agents??? It has been years since we have gone after anyone good and if you have to go clear back to Joe Montana (who we traded for) and Rison then we haven't done too bad. At least Carl and Clark's dad tried to bring us a championship and not sit around while other teams pound on us. The rebuilding excuse is OLD now. If people can't see that Clark is more worried about saving money then building a championship team again then they are very guilible. I hope I am wrong and we still sign some good free agents this year. We have the nucleus built. New England I hate to say is still far better than us and they keep bringing in talent to stay that way.

2010 wasn't much better and we are way under that now. I know we have Hali to sign but still will be one of the cheapest teams in the NFL. Last year we signed a couple of key free agents??? It has been years since we have gone after anyone good and if you have to go clear back to Joe Montana (who we traded for) and Rison then we haven't done too bad. At least Carl and Clark's dad tried to bring us a championship and not sit around while other teams pound on us. The rebuilding excuse is OLD now. If people can't see that Clark is more worried about saving money then building a championship team again then they are very guilible. I hope I am wrong and we still sign some good free agents this year. We have the nucleus built. New England I hate to say is still far better than us and they keep bringing in talent to stay that way.
    Last year we brought back Chris Chambers who had a good run in 09
    We signed free agents Thomas Jones, Ryan Lilja, Casey Wigemen all 3 were a reason the Chiefs won the AFC west.
    We also Locked in Jamal Charles for I think it was a 5 year deal.
    This year in the first day we signed Steve Breaston and kelly Gregg. We ARE bringing in free agents. We are just picking ones that are right for this team. Give a little time for some bigger names we are not even in day 2 yet.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    Last year we brought back Chris Chambers who had a good run in 09
    We signed free agents Thomas Jones, Ryan Lilja, Casey Wigemen all 3 were a reason the Chiefs won the AFC west.
    We also Locked in Jamal Charles for I think it was a 5 year deal.
    This year in the first day we signed Steve Breaston and kelly Gregg. We ARE bringing in free agents. We are just picking ones that are right for this team. Give a little time for some bigger names we are not even in day 2 yet.
    Thomas Jones is our backup running back, Wigeman is almost 40, Charles is our own player and was already on the team. I will give you Lilja but don't view him as a superstar player but he is above average. Gregg is 34 and only a one year contract again old and cheap. Breaston could be good depending on if his knee holds up...he couldn't stay on the field because of it but then we let Waters walk so we gain a good player and lose a good player. Not sure why we didn't at least try to get a draft pick for Waters everyone is scratching their heads over that one. Well at least the experts, not the Chief fan who claims he knew it all along it would happen. LOL!!! Anyhow Clark didn't spend any more money by doing that.

Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast