Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Hold your horses...

Default Hold your horses...

I am not sure if I am the only one who overlooked this but I heard a lot of talk about us reaching the league minimum and our activity in free agency... found this very interesting.

Per-team spending minimum doesn’t apply until 2013 | ProFootballTalk

You may be better off jumping on the Eagles bandwagon, they seem to be on the same page as you.

Quote Originally Posted by #58ChiefsFan View Post
    You may be better off jumping on the Eagles bandwagon, they seem to be on the same page as you.

LOL. True!

Seems like theyre stacking some draft picks up too. It will be interesting to see how that all turns out for them.

Quote Originally Posted by #58ChiefsFan View Post
    Seems like theyre stacking some draft picks up too. It will be interesting to see how that all turns out for them.
    I really like the moves the Eagles are making. I wish we would be that aggressive. They took a chance on Vick for basically nothing and man did that ever pan out!!! Then they were able to Trade Kolb away for a good deal. We really need a DT and I wish we could have taken a chance on Haynesworth for a 5th round pick. New England really isnt on the hook for that much money either. Some players just play bad on teams with horrible coaches I mean look at Randy Moss...great everywhere he has played until he went to Oakland. Some organizations just bring out the worst in players. Of course now I think Moss has just lost it and really has no desire to be a good player anymore. He has seen his better days. Anyhow I would just like to see the Chiefs gamble a little bit and make some moves. Right now we don't have anything close to a Super Bowl team but I think if we picked up the likes of a Franklin and Blalock and a good safety that would make us contenders. We have the cap room to do it and these players aren't old.

Since the title of this thread is "Hold your horses".....

Certainly Clark Hunt is careful with a buck, he is the COB of a small market team and he has to be. It should also be pointed out that some of the benefits coming to small market teams in the CBA will NOT come to the Chiefs for a while because of their new stadium. Hunt wants to keep the Chiefs in KC but he must look after the dollars and cents in order to do so. Many owners would have been looking for a new home for their team by now.

And their is no doubt in my mind that Hunt wants to build a Super Bowl contender in KC. I didn't say he wants to build a winning team. I said he wants to build a Super Bowl contender. We've had plenty of winning teams over the years. I even remember when we had the longest consecutive streak of playoff appearances. But I don't remember any Super Bowl appearances from those years.

And since we are talking about the Chiefs management, lets mention Pioli and Haley. Neither one of these guys strikes me as "paycheck collectors". I think Pioli is truly driven by the desire to prove that it was really him that made the Splatriots great. His way to do that is by making the Chiefs great. I also think Haley feels he has something to prove.

I think we have a GREAT management team running the Chiefs and I think they are trying to build a team that will have the word "Dynasty" attached to it rather than looking for a quick 2 or 3 year run that may or may not lead to a Super Bowl.

As much as I want a Super Bowl right this damned second I think that as long as we continue to field strong teams we owe the current management team at least until their first draft selections start to become "long in the tooth" to prove that they have what it takes.

As a 40+ year fan of the Chiefs I am sick to death of being "teased" with "well...at least we make the playoffs almost every year" and "win it now schemes".

Under current management we have gone from bottom feeder to to AFC West Champions. Sure it was an easy schedule. But we had easy schedules under Carl and Herm and where did that get us?

Lets give current management (including Clark Hunt) a fair shot.

I think they have earned it!

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    Since the title of this thread is "Hold your horses".....

Certainly Clark Hunt is careful with a buck, he is the COB of a small market team and he has to be. It should also be pointed out that some of the benefits coming to small market teams in the CBA will NOT come to the Chiefs for a while because of their new stadium. Hunt wants to keep the Chiefs in KC but he must look after the dollars and cents in order to do so. Many owners would have been looking for a new home for their team by now.

And their is no doubt in my mind that Hunt wants to build a Super Bowl contender in KC. I didn't say he wants to build a winning team. I said he wants to build a Super Bowl contender. We've had plenty of winning teams over the years. I even remember when we had the longest consecutive streak of playoff appearances. But I don't remember any Super Bowl appearances from those years.

And since we are talking about the Chiefs management, lets mention Pioli and Haley. Neither one of these guys strikes me as "paycheck collectors". I think Pioli is truly driven by the desire to prove that it was really him that made the Splatriots great. His way to do that is by making the Chiefs great. I also think Haley feels he has something to prove.

I think we have a GREAT management team running the Chiefs and I think they are trying to build a team that will have the word "Dynasty" attached to it rather than looking for a quick 2 or 3 year run that may or may not lead to a Super Bowl.

As much as I want a Super Bowl right this damned second I think that as long as we continue to field strong teams we owe the current management team at least until their first draft selections start to become "long in the tooth" to prove that they have what it takes.

As a 40+ year fan of the Chiefs I am sick to death of being "teased" with "well...at least we make the playoffs almost every year" and "win it now schemes".

Under current management we have gone from bottom feeder to to AFC West Champions. Sure it was an easy schedule. But we had easy schedules under Carl and Herm and where did that get us?

Lets give current management (including Clark Hunt) a fair shot.

I think they have earned it!

Clark probably does want to win a Super Bowl but wishes he could do it without having to spend money on decent players and I don't see that happening. Our playoff team last year had to be one of the weakest playoff teams we have ever had. Sure we made it but we aren't going anywhere unless we add some talent in free agency. I do think because of the stadium and being a small market team as you mentioned Clark won't use money to get more superstar talent in here in free agency. What you see is what you get basically. I honestly believe we could make a run at the Super Bowl this year by adding at least two really good free agents for both the lines and maybe another safety. Just getting 34 to 38 year olds cheaper isn't going to cut it and those guys are good for a year and we have the same holes to fill next year. as I have stated we sign franklin and blalock and a decent safety we have a good shot at doing something. We go with the team we have now and the schedule we have this year I say we struggle to see .500 and we look towards next years draft AGAIN.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefsrule View Post
    Clark probably does want to win a Super Bowl but wishes he could do it without having to spend money on decent players and I don't see that happening. Our playoff team last year had to be one of the weakest playoff teams we have ever had. Sure we made it but we aren't going anywhere unless we add some talent in free agency. I do think because of the stadium and being a small market team as you mentioned Clark won't use money to get more superstar talent in here in free agency. What you see is what you get basically. I honestly believe we could make a run at the Super Bowl this year by adding at least two really good free agents for both the lines and maybe another safety. Just getting 34 to 38 year olds cheaper isn't going to cut it and those guys are good for a year and we have the same holes to fill next year. as I have stated we sign franklin and blalock and a decent safety we have a good shot at doing something. We go with the team we have now and the schedule we have this year I say we struggle to see .500 and we look towards next years draft AGAIN.
    I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

Hunt/Pioli seems to me to be building an excellent team via the draft while picking up quality performer/mentors on short term contracts to help keep us competitive.

I'm OK with that, because when the "minimum payroll" kicks in their draft picks are going to be young, experienced veterans in the prime of their careers. And there are going to be a LOT of them. And we are going to have the money to KEEP them.

As much as I want a Super Bowl right this damned minute, I'd like a dynasty even better.

Joe Montana and Marcus Allen were a FUN run....REALLY FUN! But what I really want is for it to be fun for 10 or 15 years rather than 3 or 4.

And I think that is what current management seems to be trying to achieve.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

Hunt/Pioli seems to me to be building an excellent team via the draft while picking up quality performer/mentors on short term contracts to help keep us competitive.

I'm OK with that, because when the "minimum payroll" kicks in their draft picks are going to be young, experienced veterans in the prime of their careers. And there are going to be a LOT of them. And we are going to have the money to KEEP them.

As much as I want a Super Bowl right this damned minute, I'd like a dynasty even better.

Joe Montana and Marcus Allen were a FUN run....REALLY FUN! But what I really want is for it to be fun for 10 or 15 years rather than 3 or 4.

And I think that is what current management seems to be trying to achieve.
    Well I don't disagree on signing older players until we are there but Blalock is 27 and could be here for awhile. Franklin is 30 might only be the 4-5 years, but what I am saying is sign good free agents in their mid to late 20s that is basically what we have now. The signings we are making now Gregg 34, Wiegman 38 and what you say you don't want and that is what we are doing. Old cheap players just to get us by.

Older, inexpensive players help our young talent develop into stars much more quickly and because they are only here for a short time...1-3 years...they leave us with money to keep the young stars they have helped develop. Look at what Vrabel did for us.

I'm generally not a patient man, but I think current management has a goal and a good plan to get there.

Older, inexpensive players help our young talent develop into stars much more quickly and because they are only here for a short time...1-3 years...they leave us with money to keep the young stars they have helped develop. Look at what Vrabel did for us.

I'm generally not a patient man, but I think current management has a goal and a good plan to get there.
    Hali turns 28 this year, Cassel just turned 29, we can sign good younger free agents. The time we develop these younger players the window will close on most of them as they will be old by then. This is sounding like Carls 5 year plan. LMAO!

Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast