Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another possible WR option...

Default Another possible WR option...

Just read that Jerricho Cotchery has been released by the Jets. What are your thoughts about looking to pick him up?

For some reason I have always been a fan of Cotchery. He is a well rounded, sure handed reciever, that is a hard worker, with high character.

I would love his leadership on this team, and would love to have him be here for 2-3 years (29 yrs old). Would be a great mentor for all of our young WR's, and would rather bring him in for depth as opposed to the remaining crop of FA WR's. (I know he has never been considered elite, but he has been productive.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jrudi View Post
    He would be behind Bowe, Breaston, and Baldwin.
    Jerricho Cotchery, WR for the New York Jets at NFL.com

Steve Breaston, WR for the Kansas City Chiefs at NFL.com

Dwayne Bowe, WR for the Kansas City Chiefs at NFL.com

Haven't watched him too much. But, aside from last season, when The Jets added Santonio Holmes to go along with Braylon Edwards, and having been behind Laverneus Coles in prior seasons, Cotcherey has an impressive stat line.

My guess would be that he would challenge Breaston for the #2 spot.

If he is legit enough to warrant a fantasy roster spot he should be good enough to serve as our 4th WR option in my opinion. I drafted McCluster as my sleeper pick last year and he was our #3WR, he got me jack squat.

My point for this post was to propose the idea of bringing him in as a backup/situational player. He would be behind Bowe, Breaston, and Baldwin. and would be an upgrade from our other options. He has been a successful pro, and I figured he could mentor our younger guys for a year or two.

My Point completely! I'm not saying we sign him to come in a be a starter and replace Breaston or Baldwin. I am saying he would be a nice addition to our recieving corps. He is better than our 4th wr options. (To be honest there was a post earlier that said they were pretty happy with our WR's group as a whole now... my thought is... A team that had to sign Kevin Curtis who hadn't played since week 6 the week of a first round playoff game to man the WR2 position needs alot more help at WR than just adding 2 bodies (Breaston and Baldwin) I love those pickups, but what happens if there are injuries?? back to Verran Tucker??, I just think if it will strengthen the group it would be worth it to give him a shot.

My point was he sucked on my fantasy team. I watched him because i had him as my 5th receiver and he was not good enuf for that spot. he is currently ranked as the 62nd WR behind Breston #58 and Bowe #13
    i guarantee if we get him you will be forming a lynch mob for him about mid season.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefnut View Post
    My point was he sucked on my fantasy team. I watched him because i had him as my 5th receiver and he was not good enuf for that spot. he is currently ranked as the 62nd WR behind Breston #58 and Bowe #13
    i guarantee if we get him you will be forming a lynch mob for him about mid season.
    I doubt anyone would be calling for his head if he didn't work out because I would not be expecting unrealistic results.

I wouldn't expect him to be a star, I wouldn't expect him to be a starter. I would expect to land him fairly cheap, possibly have 25-30 catches this year, a couple hundred yards and about 1-2 touchdowns. I would consider that a success for him as a situational receiver and would not be upset if he didn't post a stat line like this either.

I don't think every FA we pick up needs to be a starter, or a Pro Bowler to be considered a good pickup. I've mentioned about 4 times on this thread that I think he would be a good veteran presence for our young guys, and would be more a talented option at our 4th WR position than what we have available.

Fantasy relevance in no way has to do anything with how much of an asset a guy can be on an NFL team?

How'd McCluster do for fantasy purposes last year? Should we cut him?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    Fantasy relevance in no way has to do anything with how much of an asset a guy can be on an NFL team?

How'd McCluster do for fantasy purposes last year? Should we cut him?
    Thank you!

I actually mentioned earlier that I drafted McCluster last year in a late round a sleeper, and he sucked balls in the fantasy world, but he can sure cause confusion on the field. Every single time he was on the field, the D make adjustments because he was in the game.

again you miss the point, i said that it was because i had him on my team as well as my wife being a jets fan that i watched nearly all of the jets games last year and paid attention to crotcherys play. he is no upgrade over any of our #3 or #4 receivers.

as for the McCluster comparrison i still think he is a major talent but he had little impact over the last 5 games after opening the season with such a bang.

last 5 games 6 rec 62yds, 7 rushes 11 yds 1fumble
    playoff game 4 rec 17yds 2 rushes 5yds 1 fumble

Just read that Jerricho Cotchery has been released by the Jets. What are your thoughts about looking to pick him up?

For some reason I have always been a fan of Cotchery. He is a well rounded, sure handed reciever, that is a hard worker, with high character.

I would love his leadership on this team, and would love to have him be here for 2-3 years (29 yrs old). Would be a great mentor for all of our young WR's, and would rather bring him in for depth as opposed to the remaining crop of FA WR's. (I know he has never been considered elite, but he has been productive.)
    I think Cotchery would be a good 3 or 4 WR. I don't think he is bad at all just buried behind a lot of other good WRs the Jets have.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12