Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick to Judge

Default Quick to Judge

I originally posted this on another Thread, and thought it was a good topic that might get some conversations started. It was in response to a member stating that they did'nt care for McCluster or Tyson Jackson and that we should cut Jackson. Just wanted others thoughts. Thanks and Happy debating!

Original Post:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrudi View Post
    I Think a lot of our fans are to quick to judge our 1st round picks. Let's Give Jackson another year or so before we just "cut" him, same with McCluster, and Berry for that Matter.

Let's look at this:

DJ- His first 5 seasons were considered "disappointments", multiple years with upset fans and last year he became a complete LB, with his best season to date (121 tckls, 1 sck, 4FF, 1int.)

Hali- Being overshadowed by Jared Allen early in his career, he was yet another Chiefs 1st round pick that was highly scrutinized for his first 4 years. Each season people were upset with his mediocre pass rushing abilities. Year 5.... A monster, leading the AFC in Sacks.

Bowe- Had a promising rookie season followed by two seasons filled with drops and character concerns that had fans calling for his head. Last year,Career best in receiving yards and lead the NFL in touchdown receptions.

Dorsey & Albert
    - Another set of 1st rounders who have rarely had much said about them except that they didn't live up to expectations. Last year Both had the best seasons of their young Careers. I think Dorsey showed many flashes last year, and is set to break out this season (Now that Houston is lining up behind him we now are able to provide pressure from both sides)

Berry- By far has had the most promising rookie season of any of our recent draft picks, but is still catching heat because "safeties aren't supposed to be taken in the top 5 of the draft" boo freakin hoo.

My point is that we need to allow time for these young players to develop. Tyson Jackson showed flashes last year (although he was hurt a portion of the season, we can't get upset about something he couldn't help) This will be his 3rd season, I saw some pic's and video of him in camp, and he looks like he has slimmed up and is now more solid rather than chunky, it sounds like he has been training extensively during the lockout, and sounds like he is ready to step it up.

It takes time, Look at Charles, he didn't break out until midway through his 3rd season (he actually wasn't even on the game day roster a couple times in Haley's first season) the only reason people didn't get pissed at him was because he was a 3rd round pick. I think if we can be patient with some of these players we will find that in about a year or two, we will be set to compete for a championship, and as a matter of fact, we are much better positioned now than we were two years ago, so we should be thankful for that

Quote Originally Posted by Jrudi View Post
    I originally posted this on another Thread, and thought it was a good topic that might get some conversations started. It was in response to a member stating that they did'nt care for McCluster or Tyson Jackson and that we should cut Jackson. Just wanted others thoughts. Thanks and Happy debating!

Original Post:
    With the exception of Dorsey, the others you listed at least showed signs of excellence within their first years of play.

I have not seen any signs of hope with Jackson. I have with McCluster.

Nice post. I seem to remember a few folks not just here mind you wanting to rid ourselves of Hali at various points of his earlier career... hopefully Tyson Jackson can prove folks wrong in a big way this season.

I feel Jackson who was third overall pick in 09 should be playing at a much higher level than what he is and with that said think he should do well under this 2nd year with Crennel or his life as a Chief may be over next year. As for McCluster or Turbo as my daughter calls him, I see him having a very good season this year.

Quote Originally Posted by okikcfan View Post
    I feel Jackson who was third overall pick in 09 should be playing at a much higher level than what he is and with that said think he should do well under this 2nd year with Crennel or his life as a Chief may be over next year. As for McCluster or Turbo as my daughter calls him, I see him having a very good season this year.
    Agreed and agreed- while I'm not ready to just toss Jackson out the door yet, the addition of some other guys, a second year in this system, and hopefully the ability to stay healthy will let him flourish and prove he was worth the high pick.

With "Turbo", I think the addition of other weapons around him will allow him to get involved and make some plays.

As with everything in this sport, we'll see when the cleats hit the grass.

jackson has showed me nothing,i say if we can get something for him now lets do it before we get stuck with him

I attended training camp Friday and Saturday. Jackson is in the best shape yet and seems to be quicker and more powerful. When others are taking breaks, he is working with Master KIm on hand fighting. He very well could put all the bust taks behind him this year. At least it will for those who undestand 3-4 DE's aren't asked to have 20 sacks a year.

McCluster is the same old thing. The coaches love his ability, but his size limits the number of touches he can get a game. With Arenas playing a lot in nickel packages and the depth we now have at WR. Look for McCluster to handle more of the KR duties.

Issues like this have to do with perception and momentum. Once the rabblerabble gets started on a player, justified or not, it tends to stick. Throw into the mix the lack of adequate local journalism covering the Chiefs and the way national media treats the team like they have cooties and it really isn't surprising that a lot of fans remain uninformed. Tyson Jackon injured his knee last year, that's not something you just bounce back from. Same thing with McCluster's high ankle injury. Arrowhead is pretty much Kremlin v2.0 so we on the outside looking in never really know the extent of a players injury. What we do, or atleast should know, is that players take time to develop. A second year player missing most of his season due to a knee injury isn't on the block to "show you something" or be cut. Going forward I will trust the staff at Arrowhead to continue to do what they've already demonstrated they can do, develop talent. Tyson Jackson will do fine this season and this time next year nobody will admit to thinking he should have ever been cut. The same goes for Dexter. While he stays healthy and when they figure out how to use him effectively he'll be dangerous. There is a place in the NFL for these type of Weapon X or change of pace players.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandKing77 View Post
    Issues like this have to do with perception and momentum. Once the rabblerabble gets started on a player, justified or not, it tends to stick. Throw into the mix the lack of adequate local journalism covering the Chiefs and the way national media treats the team like they have cooties and it really isn't surprising that a lot of fans remain uninformed. Tyson Jackon injured his knee last year, that's not something you just bounce back from. Same thing with McCluster's high ankle injury. Arrowhead is pretty much Kremlin v2.0 so we on the outside looking in never really know the extent of a players injury. What we do, or atleast should know, is that players take time to develop. A second year player missing most of his season due to a knee injury isn't on the block to "show you something" or be cut. Going forward I will trust the staff at Arrowhead to continue to do what they've already demonstrated they can do, develop talent. Tyson Jackson will do fine this season and this time next year nobody will admit to thinking he should have ever been cut. The same goes for Dexter. While he stays healthy and when they figure out how to use him effectively he'll be dangerous. There is a place in the NFL for these type of Weapon X or change of pace players.
    Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandKing77 View Post
    I totally agree!! It's nice to read someone else point these facts out related to young talented players needing reasonable time to evolve, and heal from injuries. I've always felt we're not told the extent of a players injuries. Stratigically from a defense viewpoint it would be foolish to make public a players depth of injury, it makes him vulnerable to less scrupulous teams wanting to re-injure a key player eliminating him from competing.

As far as Dex, I'm thinking Haley may be considering using him much in the way Vermeil used Dante Hall, who was also small & quick, and very successful in the ways he was used offensively. ;)

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast