Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Veteran backup QB

Default Veteran backup QB

While not typically a habitual worrier, I must admit to some concern that the Chiefs have not elected to bring in a veteran backup QB (like the Jets using Mark Brunell to backup and mentor dirty Sanchez). I can only think of a few reasons why they would elect to not do this.

First, perhaps there just aren't any available established veteran QB's out there that understand they are past their prime and are comfortable with their new role in life. I'd love to have Dante Culpepper available for the next time Cassel goes down but if he doesn't understand he's a backup QB then you can't fit a square peg in a round hole.

Secondly, maybe the Chiefs are just opting to avoid any type of QB controversy and I can respect that. Cassel is very much still developing as a QB and you don't want to even generate the perception that you have doubts in him.

Third and most cynically, maybe they know they're not serious contenders at this point for a superbowl title so they aren't ready to shell out the cash for contingencies. This would seem to fit with their FA tactics in that they aren't shelling out the cash for the more recognized "top shelf" available players because they aren't really planning to make their push this year.

Originally when they brought #7 in I was less than elated. Watching him play that first year though I changed my mind on him. He has two things you can't coach or teach. He's competitive and he's tough, those two things are at the top of my priorities list for any player. I still have to think though that if the Chiefs front officer really expected them to be in contention for a superbowl title then they would cover all bases and plan for all situations, i.e., sign a vet QB, drop Palko and develop Stanzi.

Quote Originally Posted by josh1971 View Post
    Nope, he was never cut, and I think it was Connie was just saying that at camp, he's been out there throwing.

And to clarify- on 7/25, he was declared a free agent, but he was never cut.
    Arrowhead Pride claims he has not been in camp, the Chiefs do not list nor talk about him so I don't know about that. Either way the rumor mill is churning that the Ravens are looking at him, let's just hope they take him.

BC is not on the roster.....

Quote Originally Posted by #58ChiefsFan View Post
    Arrowhead Pride claims he has not been in camp, the Chiefs do not list nor talk about him so I don't know about that. Either way the rumor mill is churning that the Ravens are looking at him, let's just hope they take him.
    Yeah, there were people I know who attended training camp and said they saw Brodie there, but maybe they were mistaken. Babb of the KC Star quoted Haley not long ago as saying something like, 'we're not ruling out re-signing Brodie'. :/

Brodie is a FA, the media speculation began that he was cut from the Chiefs roster, but the fact is he's simply one of the free agents the Chiefs as of yet have not re-signed. Pioli made a statement as well saying they're still evaluating Palko & Stanzi, and that they're not done in FA yet...he also said they will continue making moves in FA as far as into October if necessary.
    Last edited by Connie Jo; 08-11-2011 at 10:19 AM.

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

What we have to worry about is Croyle having a fantastic pre-season, so that everyone on the staff thinks "Wow, he's really coming on".

In all seriousness, I'm interested to see Mr. Stanzi at work!

JB
    Of course Brokie Croyle is having a good training camp...he's not actually there to throw the ball so his status can only improve!!

In all seriousness I'm sure he's a nice guy and all but he's just not an NFL QB.

Nope, he was never cut, and I think it was Connie was just saying that at camp, he's been out there throwing.

And to clarify- on 7/25, he was declared a free agent, but he was never cut.
    I don't believe this to be correct. He was a Free agent, and never resigned by the Chiefs. He was never cut, but never signed.

All reports I have heard is that the Chiefs are only carrying three QB's Stanzi, Palko and Cassel. Hailey is okay with this but will sign an veteran QB if there is one out there that he thinks will help competition and improve the team.

How can brodie croyle be in camp. He is a unrestricted free agent.

Quote Originally Posted by marloweopatchiefs View Post
    How can brodie croyle be in camp. He is a unrestricted free agent.
    I think Connie cleared that up that some folks had told her they saw him throwing, but they were obviously mistaken.

Either way, I think it's best for KC to NOT sign him again, and move on with other backup QB options- whether it's Stanzi, Palko, or someone else that gets signed. Since we just drafted Stanzi, I would think it would be more likely for Palko to go if KC finds someone in free agency.

But the fact that Croyle will not be in the red this year-

Ahhhhh.....

Living in Alabama I was subjected to a lot of blahblah about Croyle. I always thought he needs to spend an offseason overseas on a solid steroid regiment to bulk up in order to be able to stay alive while being hit by NFL defenders.

Quote Originally Posted by GarH View Post
    My guess is that if Palko doesn't look like he can be a serviceable back-up after one or two exhibition games, the Chiefs will bring in a veteran back-up.
    I know you have to take pre-season with a HUGE grain of salt.. that being said. Palko blows. Stanzi may be a good future QB, as I think he has a lot of talent. But I don't see much out of Palko.

Quote Originally Posted by drstandley31 View Post
    I know you have to take pre-season with a HUGE grain of salt.. that being said. Palko blows. Stanzi may be a good future QB, as I think he has a lot of talent. But I don't see much out of Palko.
    Agreed, even last year when I went up to camp I wasn't impressed with him at all. The thing that did it for me was when Palko and Croyle were basically taking turns at QB. When Palko makes Croyle look good you know you don't have a back up in either.

Moving forward Haley hasn't been asking a lot of Cassel...8 hand off's, no passes against Tampa. Haley just wants his QB's to manage the game, not win them. If Stanzi can show some progress and get up to the speed of the game I think he'll be a decent QB until he's ready to take the mantle (if he gets there) or maybe he's just a backup QB.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12