Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Chiefs sign Jared Gaither

Default Chiefs sign Jared Gaither

Check it...

Former Ravens OT Jared Gaither Signed By Chiefs - Arrowhead Pride

If we can get him to play to his potential this is a GREAT signing. So interested in how this shakes out across the line.

Just watched an interview with this guy on the practice field. HE IS HUGE! Really hope he works out for us.

According to Haley, Gaither is there for "competition" and depth at the left tackle position. I think a lot of us hope he turns out better than just competition for Albert and ends up being our LOT, moving Albert to the ROT.

Branden Albert still the man at left tackle for Chiefs - KansasCity.com

Quote Originally Posted by KristofLaw View Post
    We've been signing a lot of former Ravens of late. Count that we also lost to them in the playoffs last season... good signings. Hopefully he can screw his head on straight... Go Chiefs!!
    I think it's more just coincidence in that The Ravens have been losing good players at positions that we have been needing.

When Ron Edwards signed with The Panthers, our NT position changed dramatically. Edwards was going to be the man to help the rookie, Powe, learn what is expected of him, and hold the position until Powe was ready to take over.

Franklin, the FA NT from The Niners, did not really fit that description, as he was more of a long term starter, thus changing the dynamic for Powe's future.

That brought our attention to Kelly Gregg, from The Ravens, who, while more of a true NT starter, is on the back side of his career, and will eventually be able to step out of the way for Powe.

Then.. With FB Ron McClain, I think our FB position was in need of an upgrade, and his ability to play HB in place of Thomas Jones would be a big deal in the future. Jones is far from young, and will need replaced eventually. McClain could be the answer there.

And finally, OT was our biggest remaining question mark. And Gaither is a guy who has a real chance of unseating Albert, or at least winning the ROT job.

Either way would provide an improvement over multiple o-line positions. Either directly, or through the competition.

No questioning the trend of Ravens becoming Chiefs. But I think has a whole more to do with the players and positions that The Ravens are having to let go, than with the results of our playoff loss to them.

But it is still possible.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    I think it's more just coincidence in that The Ravens have been losing good players at positions that we have been needing.

When Ron Edwards signed with The Panthers, our NT position changed dramatically. Edwards was going to be the man to help the rookie, Powe, learn what is expected of him, and hold the position until Powe was ready to take over.

Franklin, the FA NT from The Niners, did not really fit that description, as he was more of a long term starter, thus changing the dynamic for Powe's future.

That brought our attention to Kelly Gregg, from The Ravens, who, while more of a true NT starter, is on the back side of his career, and will eventually be able to step out of the way for Powe.

Then.. With FB Ron McClain, I think our FB position was in need of an upgrade, and his ability to play HB in place of Thomas Jones would be a big deal in the future. Jones is far from young, and will need replaced eventually. McClain could be the answer there.

And finally, OT was our biggest remaining question mark. And Gaither is a guy who has a real chance of unseating Albert, or at least winning the ROT job.

Either way would provide an improvement over multiple o-line positions. Either directly, or through the competition.

No questioning the trend of Ravens becoming Chiefs. But I think has a whole more to do with the players and positions that The Ravens are having to let go, than with the results of our playoff loss to them.

But it is still possible.
    I don't think it is coincidence. We did sign Jim Zorn as our QB coach who was with Baltimore last year. I am sure he is giving Pioli some good scouting reports about what types of players these guys were in the locker room.

I am sure if we had someone on our staff from San Fran who could have vouched for Franklin maybe Pioli would have been more comfortable giving him a contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    I don't think it is coincidence. We did sign Jim Zorn as our QB coach who was with Baltimore last year. I am sure he is giving Pioli some good scouting reports about what types of players these guys were in the locker room.
    An interesting point!

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post

I am sure if we had someone on our staff from San Fran who could have vouched for Franklin maybe Pioli would have been more comfortable giving him a contract.
    Excellent point.

I forgot all about Zorn.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234