Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Baldwin struggling.

Default Baldwin struggling.

First-round pick Jonathan Baldwin has reportedly shown an "absolute inability" to deal with press coverage so far in Chiefs camp.

Observed Nick Wright of 610 Kansas City, "When he's been jammed, I haven't seen him catch one." Wright concedes that Baldwin has impressed when faced with off coverage, but defensive coordinators aren't dumb enough to let him get a running start. It's notable that the K.C. Star has predicted Jerheme Urban will start opposite Dwayne Bowe this season. Steve Breaston would be the slot receiver, relegating Baldwin to a No. 4 receiver role.

New guy is new.

Are any of our rookies working with the starters?

Saying that Baldwin is struggling is like saying the Chiefs haven't won a single game this season. It's too soon for either statement to carry any weight, even though both are probably true at this point in the season.

We should revisit this thread after the Chiefs have played 16 games or so.

I'm not worried at all we will pick up

Another case of us fans having unrealistic expectations for our 1st rounders way to soon!

Yes give him time, IMO you can't lable a first round pick as a bust until they've got at least 3 seasons under their belt. Then we can re-visit this conversation.

I actually thought he didn't do to bad in the game last night. Made that amazing adjustment on the sideline for a horrible pass that was thrown behind the D-back. Catch was ruled incomplete because when he did maintain control he was out of bounds, but It was an impressive adjustment and catch.

let's give him time!

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Saying that Baldwin is struggling is like saying the Chiefs haven't won a single game this season. It's too soon for either statement to carry any weight, even though both are probably true at this point in the season.

We should revisit this thread after the Chiefs have played 16 games or so.

Well we haven't played a game yet so we don't know what he will do in a game but the writer stated he is struggling with press coverage in practice. I just thought it is interesting where Jerheme Urban is at right now. He had a great preseason last year then got injured so I kind of forgot about him.

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    First round draft picks (especially Wide Receivers) often struggle in their rookie year. While there are those rare exceptions, most WRs pretty much ride the bench their rookie season, show flashes of potential their 2nd year, and only in their 3rd year start to thrive.

It seems a lot of people here think that because Baldwin is a first round draft pick he will be a superstar starting in week 1. It doesn't usually work out that way. Remember he has only been practicing with the Chiefs for about 2 weeks. I would give him at least until the 2nd half of the season before we start labeling him as a "bust" or a disappointment. And while I am optimistic and have high hopes for him, we may have to be patient and not expect too much from a rookie.
    It's been a while, but I read a few articles on this very subject when I became a defender of all things Bowe in 2009, LOL. In my NFL WR research I came across many offensive WR coaches & other so called experts, who stated it takes between 3-5 yrs. for a WR to reach his peak. Bowe is just one example of proving such.

Quote Originally Posted by AkChief49 View Post
    Although he struggled at times (dropping numerous passes), ????impressed the NFL in his rookie season for the 49ers in 1985, especially after a 10-catch, 241-yard game against the St. Louis Rams in December. For that rookie season, he recorded 49 catches for 927 yards, averaging 18.9 yards per catch and was named NFC Offensive Rookie of the Year.
    That man's name was Jerry Rice. I think we all know how he turned out!
    Jerry Rice is one of the WR's mentioned often when I was reasearching knowledge on WR abilities & career accomplishments/stats. By comparison to that of other legendary WR's...Bowe is evolving right on course of a NFL WR reaching peak performance.

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    It's funny, I was just thinkin' about this. There are players who look lethargic and just don't perform well in practice. But at game time. with the crowd cheering and the adrenaline flowing, they get pumped up and excel. I don't know if Baldwin is that type of player or not, but he could be.

Sometimes a player will struggle consistently and then all of a sudden something "clicks" and they improve dramatically from that point on. Baldwin didn't face an NFL pro secondary in college. He's learning a new playbook, getting to know his QB and new teammates and he may just need some time to adjust.

Or he may just be a bust. Time will tell.
    Completely agree, and made the same comments related to Bowe when he was so heavily criticized by fans, especially during the 2009 season. It takes an average of 3-5 yrs. for an NFL WR to reach a level of excellence, career peak, so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Jrudi View Post
    Another case of us fans having unrealistic expectations for our 1st rounders way to soon!

Yes give him time, IMO you can't lable a first round pick as a bust until they've got at least 3 seasons under their belt. Then we can re-visit this conversation.

I actually thought he didn't do to bad in the game last night. Made that amazing adjustment on the sideline for a horrible pass that was thrown behind the D-back. Catch was ruled incomplete because when he did maintain control he was out of bounds, but It was an impressive adjustment and catch.

let's give him time!
    Completely agree! I was at the pre-season game Friday night & was impressed overall with Baldwin considering all factors.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefsrule View Post
    Well we haven't played a game yet so we don't know what he will do in a game but the writer stated he is struggling with press coverage in practice. I just thought it is interesting where Jerheme Urban is at right now. He had a great preseason last year then got injured so I kind of forgot about him.
    You are correct, it has been reported that Baldwin has been struggling at training camp some, especially when covered heavily by defenders. That said, he didn't do to bad Friday night at the game, and I was somewhat impressed. :)

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Has anyone knocking Baldwin thought about the fact that he has had our playbook for all of 3 weeks? I took longer than that to study the danged driving manual for my drivers license test. Every NFL player on ESPN and NFL Network said it would be a steep learning curve for the rookies because of the lockout. If he is functional for the 1st regular season game, I'll be excited. If he can catch a pass, I'll be ecstatic. He showed some serious ball catching skill. Now let's give him some time to learn the system.

Guys, I'm coming here as a hardcore Pitt fan to tell you about Baldwin. I regret to tell you that I do not think this pick is going to work out for your team. Of couse I could be wrong.

I watched Baldwin play his entire college career. Even at his best, he was a raw athlete who didn't have a clue how to play reciever.

He did none of the little things. He was a one trick pony, just run down the field and chuck it.

Worst of all though, his attitude sucked and his effort was poor. He absolutely quit on his team last year. He was constantly quitting on plays. Any self-respecting coaching staff would have benched his ***. Wannstedt was a fiasco, but I digress.

Coming out, I felt strongly that whomever drafted this kid would regret it. I know it's enticing to see a good athlete that size, but I think he is sorely lacking in crucial attributes that make a good professional.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittguy View Post
    Guys, I'm coming here as a hardcore Pitt fan to tell you about Baldwin. I regret to tell you that I do not think this pick is going to work out for your team. Of couse I could be wrong.

I watched Baldwin play his entire college career. Even at his best, he was a raw athlete who didn't have a clue how to play reciever.

He did none of the little things. He was a one trick pony, just run down the field and chuck it.

Worst of all though, his attitude sucked and his effort was poor. He absolutely quit on his team last year. He was constantly quitting on plays. Any self-respecting coaching staff would have benched his ***. Wannstedt was a fiasco, but I digress.

Coming out, I felt strongly that whomever drafted this kid would regret it. I know it's enticing to see a good athlete that size, but I think he is sorely lacking in crucial attributes that make a good professional.
    It's kind of funny actually because I said the same things watching Josh Freeman at K-State. He would quit on his team and took plays off. But now he's kicking some serious butt in Tampa.

People that have that much raw talent skirt by in high school and college because they have enough talent to do so. That just won't happen in the NFL. I'm sure that he's had a rude awakening and is going to have to start putting in some effort and developing those raw skills. What the Chiefs have on their side is Haley. I think Haley will take this kid under his wing, develop those raw skills while at the same time not putting up with an ounce of ego (see the D-Bowe show for example..now just Bowe).

While any player is a risk I'm not as worried about this one as most and think that in a couple of years he'll start showing his potential. In the mean time I think we as fans all got spoiled with Berry coming in last year and immediately producing. Nice, but not the norm.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast