Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: CHIEFS vs BUCS Preseason Game Thread

Default CHIEFS vs BUCS Preseason Game Thread

ITS TIME AGAIN FOR CHIEFS FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

When I watch a preseason game, I'm mostly concerned with how our starters look against their starters. Since many of our starters didn't even play I learned very little there.

My secondary concern is the backups. Since they will be on the field when starters need to rest or if someone gets injured, I want to see them do well. This was a mixed bag. I saw some good and some very bad, but it was hard to get an accurate read since much of the time our backups were facing their starters.

I don't really care about our 3rd and 4th stringers since most of those players won't even be on the team when the regular season starts.

The preseason is rarely an accurate guage of how well a team will play in the regular season. It's a chance mostly for coaches to evaluate "borderline" players to decide will stay and who will be cut. The third preseason game is the only one that tells you much about the team and then only until the starters are taken out which is usually after the first or 2nd drive of the 2nd half.

The Colts usually do poorly in preseason. Last year the Bears went 0-4 in the preseason and finished the year with the best record in the NFC. The Chiefs clearly identified some areas that they need to work on (hanging on to the ball, kick/punt returns, blocking) but don't read too much into this one game, especially with the shortened preseason and the expanded (90 player) preseason roster. Losing always sucks, but this loss doesn't count. Let's work the bugs out now, so we are ready when it does count.
    Last edited by TopekaRoy; 08-13-2011 at 01:53 PM.

Here is a good recap of the game from The Associated Press via ESPN. Tampa Bay Buccaneers vs. Kansas City Chiefs - Recap - August 12, 2011 - ESPN

I found the following especially interesting:
    Kansas City had barely worked out in pads, and coach Todd Haley decided not to scrimmage during camp, wary that too much hitting too early might result in unnecessary injuries.

It wasn't much surprise the Chiefs looked unprepared.
    Matt Cassel didn't throw a pass. Running back Jamaal Charles didn't have a carry. Wide receiver Dwayne Bowe didn't make a catch -- all for the most part by design.

Defensive end Tamba Hali, who signed to a five-year, $60 million deal in training camp, looked awfully good standing on the sideline. Receiver Steve Breaston, cornerback Brandon Flowers, defensive end Glenn Dorsey, tight end Tony Moeaki and linebacker Derrick Johnson also didn't play.
    I just want to see improvement in weeks 2, 3 and 4. Remember it's not where you start. It's where you finish. (Just ask the Packers!)
    Last edited by TopekaRoy; 08-13-2011 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    When I watch a preseason game, I'm mostly concerned with how our starters look against their starters. Since many of our starters didn't even play I learned very little there.

My secondary concern is the backups. Since they will be on the field when starters need to rest or if someone gets injured, I want to see them do well. This was a mixed bag. I saw some good and some very bad, but it was hard to get an accurate read since much of the time our backups were facing their starters.

I don't really care about our 3rd and 4th stringers since most of those players won't even be on the team when the regular season starts.

The preseason is rarely an accurate guage of how well a team will play in the regular season. It's a chance mostly for coaches to evaluate "borderline" players to decide will stay and who will be cut. The third preseason game is the only one that tells you much about the team and then only until the starters are taken out which is usually after the first or 2nd drive of the 2nd half.

The Colts usually do poorly in preseason. Last year the Bears went 0-4 in the preseason and finished the year with the best record in the NFC. The Chiefs clearly identified some areas that they need to work on (hanging on to the ball, kick/punt returns, blocking) but don't read too much into this one game, especially with the shortened preseason and the expanded (90 player) preseason roster. Losing always sucks, but this loss doesn't count. Let's work the bugs out now, so we are ready when it does count.

I agree this isn't that big of a deal. This offseason was all messed up due to the lockout. Why take the risk of loseing a guy on a game that won't count next month. If they were not ready for the hits then it was a smart move but they better be ready quick. I do think that you do need some preseason action to be ready for the real games. Hopefully we see a much more prepared team next week.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    ... they better be ready quick. I do think that you do need some preseason action to be ready for the real games. Hopefully we see a much more prepared team next week.
    I agree. The starters will play next week, probably for about a quarter, and we will get a much better feel for where they are at. They will still play a very bland vanilla offense and defense, but that's what coaches want to see in the preseason. They want to evaluate the basics - blocking, tackling, running throwing and catching. I think Haley will work them hard this week and we'll see much more "fight" in them. It's a process and I think they will be ready on week one of the regular season.

I liked how we approached this game. I saw a lot of names I did not recognize, and even liked what I saw from some of them. All in all, it was a great first scrimmage for the Chiefs.

I may be all wrong on this one, but if my memory serves me, some of our worst preseasons have turned into some of our best regular seasons.

Buffalo and Detroit will tell us a whole lot more than 20 preseason games would.

I dont sweat this game much! i still believe!

Quote Originally Posted by tornadospotter View Post
    I liked how we approached this game. I saw a lot of names I did not recognize, and even liked what I saw from some of them. All in all, it was a great first scrimmage for the Chiefs.
    They did up the roster to 90 for training camp. This game was used as an assessment of what we have, and not getting anyone hurt.

bottom line, missing 3 starters from "O" line, 1RB, 1 FB, 1 WR, 4 from the "D", limited play by the rest...this should have been expected and totaly irrelevant to what the final version of the 2012 CHIEFS will look like.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910