Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2000 yard rusher?!?!

Default 2000 yard rusher?!?!

Well, the running-game is clearly dead. Not for the reasons that I had feared, but, because of play-calling.

Priest Holmes was THE premier running back in the N.F.L., and L.J. was supposed to be that, this season. However, The Chiefs have abandoned the playbook that helped their running-game to become the envy of the N.F.L.

Gone, are the sweeps with two O-linemen and a full-back leading the way. They have been replaced with a "defensive running "attack". By defensive, I mean that the plan is to run L.J. at the defense and have him hit defenders. This results in falling down, for L.J.

Instead of using the strongest suit of our offensive line,(pulling) the Chiefs seem content to run at the middle, despite being out-numbered.

This worked well for L.J. last season, because teams were unable to laod up the box. If you load the box then you will get your defenders caught inside, when the sweep is run. Therefore, defenses were spread wider.(due to years of Priest running amuck on the outside.) Also, when running between the tackles last season, there was a full back and, often, a pulling O-lineman leading the way through the hole. Todays Chiefs have noone leading the way. The hole is usually filled with.......... a linebacker.

I realize that Ronnie Cruz is not Tony Richardson. I am also aware that OTs Willie Roaf and John Welbourne are replaced with Jordan Black and Kevin Sampson. However, this is no reason to abandon the most successful running game that this franchise has ever seen. While Cruz may not be able to annihilate defenders in the manner which T-Rich did, run-blocking is not very complicated, on the outside. Also, Jordan Blacks weakness has been in the pass protection. Both he and Kevin Sampson are quite a load as run-blockers.

The incredible blockers that remain on the Chiefs are being mis-used. When they are pulling out front of a running play, and they have a running start at defenders, they are at their best. Otherwise, they are being asked to underachieve.

Considering the situation that the offense has been put in, the passing-game has been terrific. Pass-blockers have stepped it up, and Damon Huard has filled-in admirably. The offense struggles due to conservative play-calling and the subtraction of the fullback position. If Cruz is so inept at his position, then remove one of the two tight-ends (Dunn) and have him play the position. It wouldn't be some dramatic transformation.

I blame L.J. himself, to some extent. He has been very vocal about his desire to run "between the tackles". Also, I don't see any effort from him, on the rare occaision that he is asked to run the sweep.(Eventhough there is noone leading the way.) It is my opinion that he has "shanked" a few of them.

Larry Johnson may be a tough guy, but he cannot be expected to be successful when he is finding the defense before he can find the line of scrimmage. That is ,in my opinion, why his yards per carry percentage is down from 5.2, in 2005, to 3.4, in 2006.

Default Re: 2000 yard rusher?!?!

Hmmmm, I have read your post, and the rules you stated in another post, which was very flattering to me, for which I thank you, and will invite you to read my new post which refers to an article, that has the real scoop in it. Have a great day.

GO CHIEF'S!!

:hammer: :hammer:

I had already read that one, and, while I do agree with some of what he says, I disagree in principle. I feel that, aside from OT and DT the talent is in place. And, the OTs have played admirably for the past three games. To me, the problem lies in having thrown away the best offense in football.

The Colts have worked hard to upgrade their defense these past couple of seasons too. But they didn't stop trying to score.

Isn't this what makes America great, diversified opinions, All kidding aside, getting serious for a
    second, and trust me, for me that is hard, the
    bottom line is personal, all these guys have
    been coached from Pop Warner on up and the
    coaches job in the NFL is motivation and
    putting the right people in the right spot.
    As I said, the action starts with the Gen.
    Manager and works its way down. As in
    any bussiness, the key people are the
    producers, the coach doesn't carry the
    ball, he chooses the one that does. Well
    enough philosophy for the day, let's get
    back to having fun.

GO CHIEF'S

:pint: :hammer:

O.K. you pound the gavel for wins, I am pounding mine 'cause I'm p***ed. :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

That, and my darn signature experiment didn't work. :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

Kenny, I believe the problem with your signature is the size. I can scale it down if you'd like.

chief31 wrote:
    O.K. you pound the gavel for wins, I am pounding mine 'cause I'm p***ed. :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

That, and my darn signature experiment didn't work. :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:
    Quite allright chief31, there are times I feel like pounding something too, I think Coach has a solution for your signature, I tried once to make one and failed, so I know your frustration. Here is hoping the next time we post yours is working great.

GO CHIEF'S!!

8-) :pint:

I simply wish that someone would take the Chiefs' defense back to the "pop-warner" level. I would love to see Fundamental tackling returned to the N.F.L. "watch the feet, and hit the gut." I taught my players to watch the feet. Then either hit the gut, or, if you cannot hit the gut, grab the feet.

I hate watching professionals grab at shoulderpads. Looking for a big hit. Grab the feet, and make the runner stop!!! Let the second guy add in a hit.

The issue regarding Cruz now is that he is out for the season, with an injury.

Cruz is out for the season with a knee injury. The Chiefs are shopping for a new fullback.
    -Sporting News

Upon further review, I did notice that Cruz was trying to lead the way a bit more than I had thought. Unfortunately, he is leading the way.............

to the line of scrimmage, right into the defense. I am irate about the play-calling. I think the passing-game has been better than average. But, the generic running plays are dead in the water. And, L.J. himself needs to understand that running outside is about following the blocks.

Please, Dr. whoever, give the Priest his clearance.I want to see a running back that can set an example for Larry. And who can remind the coaching-staff as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast