Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are We Expecting Too Much?

Default Are We Expecting Too Much?

Last year, in the week before the playoffs, Haley gave an interview where he was asked if the Chiefs had "over performed". He said they had certainly been far stronger than the media had expected. Then he said something that, at the time, got me sick and angry. He said we would be real contenders in 2-3 years, but if we made it ahead of schedule he'd be ecstatic. Could it be that last year, while not a fluke, was a result of some talented young guys getting it just right for a while, but needing more time to mature? I want to win a Super Bowl this year. Could our expectations be too high?

I notice the drive and fire in some of these other QB's out there and I don't see it in Cassel. I see how other QB's out there trust in there receivers and throw the ball and let there receivers make a play. I don't see Cassel putting it where receivers have even a chance of making a play. Every down yesterday was a huge dissapointment from the snap except for the sloppy scoring drive. It starts with the coaches that put this team together along with the horrible play calling. It looked like a continuation from the pre-season and there are no excuses this time.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    In my opinion, the simple answer is "yes".

I think the fans, and maybe the players, were over-confident.

And yesterday was a stiff reminder that this team is still under construction.

I am still quite disappointed at Weiss for not sticking with the program of building this team. And that may be the biggest reason why I lacked confidence in this team prior to the '11 season opener.
    I think that's one of my biggest disappointments as well- Weiss and Crennell lent some good, veteran coaching to our staff that I think had a lot to do with our success last year. Look at the year before with Haley calling the plays. I think we miss Gailey and Weiss more than we thought.

Quote Originally Posted by azchiefsfan View Post
    Last year, in the week before the playoffs, Haley gave an interview where he was asked if the Chiefs had "over performed". He said they had certainly been far stronger than the media had expected. Then he said something that, at the time, got me sick and angry. He said we would be real contenders in 2-3 years, but if we made it ahead of schedule he'd be ecstatic. Could it be that last year, while not a fluke, was a result of some talented young guys getting it just right for a while, but needing more time to mature? I want to win a Super Bowl this year. Could our expectations be too high?
    ...Yes.

We had a weak schedule last year, cassel is not a qb that can lead a team to a super bowl, our line can't block......another year of a few wins and hoping we beat denver twice so i don't have to put up with their fans

I never thought we had a chance at the SB this year. Not realistically.

The Chiefs overperformed last year. No doubt.

We're not as good as we thought we were last year and we're not as bad as we played Sunday.

End of week 1 and we've already been badly hurt by injuries.

I just hope the rest of the team can step up and make the rest of the season respectable.

And it is not all Cassel's fault. He doesn't play defense and the problem Sunday was 41 points allowed.

We were down early and never made it close. Can't blame that all on one player.

Sunday was a team fail.

The Chiefs lost Tony Moeaki to a season-ending left ACL injury, Linebacker Brandon Siler was lost to a torn Achilles, and wide receiver Jon Baldwin is out until who knows when and now Eric Berry. Cassel is a Great guy on and off the field but in my eye's he is not a Great quarterback and the fact he is comming off a rib injury makes it even worse. Were we over rated last season, no I dont think so but yes we were and are expecting a little too much this season IMHO. This is where Haily needs to shine and lead this team and Pioli needs to spend some of that 30 to 35 million we have sittin in the bank. There is no reason to jump off the bus at any time no matter what but we all have to face the facts. This is a team effort and it all starts at the top. Here's to hoping we can tame the Lions!

Quote Originally Posted by 2010chiefs View Post
    I notice the drive and fire in some of these other QB's out there and I don't see it in Cassel. I see how other QB's out there trust in there receivers and throw the ball and let there receivers make a play. I don't see Cassel putting it where receivers have even a chance of making a play. Every down yesterday was a huge dissapointment from the snap except for the sloppy scoring drive. It starts with the coaches that put this team together along with the horrible play calling. It looked like a continuation from the pre-season and there are no excuses this time.
    Say what you want about his arm or whatever else but don't question his heart or drive...The guy played last week with bad ribs and came back pretty quick after his appendix was taken out...He is not calling the plays it his the coaching staff...We should have gotten a better O-coordinator maybe that we be taken over by Zorn eventually and not sure that is the answer either but we will see...I was fired up after Sunday but I also want to see what happens.

we did overachieve last year, an average team w/a weak sched. This year an average team w/a really tuff sched. don't expect a lot of wins. before the preseason i expected only 8 wins, now that may be a lofty goal.
    Official Chiefs Crowd Historian

Thats why I didnt care if the lockout happened or not. I definitely wasnt ready to watch this schedule of games....

AFC West Stock Watch - AFC West Blog - ESPN

Wow, this puts some ugly perspective on it. We have lost our last 3 games, including the playoffs, by a combined score of 102-24. Now with the injuries and a brutal schedule, this might get really ugly. But I still believe we can surprise some teams and put together a decent season.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12