Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Week 2 Front Office Moratorium

Default Week 2 Front Office Moratorium

In a continuing theme since the last week of the 2010 season, the Kansas City Chiefs continue to get blown out of games. In week 1 of the 2011 football season, the Chiefs played the Buffalo Bills. The Bills were a MUCH weaker team taken over by former Chiefs offensive coordinator, Chan Gailey who was fired by "offensive minded" coach Todd Haley before the final preseason game of 2009. 2009 was a season that saw a horrific Chiefs offense.

Gailey took a Buffalo team with less than half of the talent accumulated on the Chiefs team and built that team up enough to walk into Kansas City on opening day of 2011 and promptly hand the Chiefs and their "offensive minded" head coach their own asses on a silver platter with a score of 41-7.

The Kansas City Chiefs, determined to shake 7 straight regular and preseason losses, head over to Detroit to take on a Lions team that has been consistently as bad or worse than the Chiefs over the past 7 seasons. The Detroit staff, coincidentally, went through their own front office and coaching staff overhaul the same year Scott Pioli and Todd Haley were hired in Kansas City.

In 2008, the Chiefs selected #s 5 and 15 overall in the draft while the Lions picked #17. In 2009, the Lions took Stafford #1 overall while the Chiefs took Tyson Jackson #3 and passed on Mark Sanchez and B.J. Raji... OBVIOUS needs on offense and defense respectively. In 2010, the Lions had another high pick at #2 while the Chiefs weren't far behind at #5. In 2011, the Lions picked at #13 while the Chiefs selected at #26. So, if one were to look at the past 4 offseasons, you would see that the Chiefs had just as much of an opportunity, if not more of one to build a team capable of playing at the same level as the Lions.

However, as we witnessed on September, 18 20011, the Kansas City Chiefs have by FAR been outclassed by the front office and coaching staff of the Detroit Lions over the past 4 offseasons to this point in time. EVERY team in the league has to deal with injuries. Injuries don't account for 6 turnovers, 9 penalties for more than 100 yards, or a complete lack competitiveness for four straight in-season games. A system and organizational failure has occurred in Kansas City.

I am not in favor of another complete organizational overhaul like we saw in 2008. This failure, as Haley himself said after the week one blowout loss to Buffalo, lays squarely on the head coach and his staff. As a head coach, you can't expect to compete in the NFL when you can't get your team prepared week-in and week-out. Excluding preseason, the Kansas City Chiefs have been out-coached for four straight weeks going back to the final two games of 2010.

A new coach and perhaps, a new system need to be implemented in Kansas City... and it needs to happen as soon as possible. The Chiefs have one of, if not THE most difficult schedule in the NFL and the rest of this season can be used to install the new coach and system in order to have it up and running smoothly by the start of next season.

I've sat by quietly for nearly two seasons as fans clamor over the fool's gold that is Todd Haley and his winning season of 2010 with one of the easiest schedules in the league. Todd Haley was a horrible hire as head coach and it was only a matter of time until this kind of thing happened. He's too volatile, micro manages the offense WAY too much, and takes unnecessary risks during games. His players showed throughout the offseason that they didn't have any leadership and weren't ready for the season to begin and they showed today that they are no longer interested in competing for him.

This season started out with BLOWOUT LOSSES to the Buffalo Bills and Detroit Lions... the schedule isn't going to get any easier. The time to make a change is now... not as a rescue measure to save the season, but as a preemptive jump on system implementation and player evaluation for 2012.

They have no one to promote from within as HC. Let Haley and Pioli go down with the ship this season. Worry about how to fix everything after Week 17. Because there is absolutely nothing that can be done now to improve appreciably either our record or roster.

I think the only way Pioli and Haley save their jobs is some sort of miraculous turnaround. With our best players out and the O and D line worthless, I can't see that happening.

I see Pioli firing Haley at the end of this season and bringing in a new coach to get himself another two or three years. That is of course barring a miraculous turn around without some of his starters.

Clark Hunt isn't going to fire either guy. Especially not Pioli. They're owned way too much money, and Hunt is cheap. There's a reason we're only paying about $50M in real salaries (not cap, which is different) this season.

Kansas-City-Chiefs Salaries | Kansas-City-Chiefs Player Salaries | 2011 Kansas-City-Chiefs Salary

And why we cut/didn't resign guys like Waters, Smith, and Edwards. Because our owner is cheap!

Sorry to break it to you guys, but Pioli isn't going anywhere. Maybe Haley, but not Pioli. No way.

Winning franchises have stability at the GM spot. I'm not in favor of giving up on Pioli. I don't believe his personnel decisions have been THAT horrible. I just believe he truly picked a horrible head coach and there's no way Haley is the coach in 2012. I don't think the Chiefs should be looking within to promote. Crennel would be a suitable interim, but I think the Chiefs need to find a real head coach.

Brian Billick would be someone I'd consider as an immediate replacement... as long as he brought an offensive coordinator along with him. These young players need someone who's been there before. They don't need to be second guessing first time head coaches. There needs to be clear direction and leadership in that locker room right now that Todd Haley is not providing. Hell, his first round draft picks are getting into fights with "leaders" in the clubhouse. That shouldn't happen.

We now need Jonathan Baldwin to be the 2nd coming of JC in order to save this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    We now need Jonathan Baldwin to be the 2nd coming of JC in order to save this season.

Judging by what I've seen from him thus far, it ain't gonna happen.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    Winning franchises have stability at the GM spot. I'm not in favor of giving up on Pioli. I don't believe his personnel decisions have been THAT horrible. I just believe he truly picked a horrible head coach and there's no way Haley is the coach in 2012. I don't think the Chiefs should be looking within to promote. Crennel would be a suitable interim, but I think the Chiefs need to find a real head coach.

Brian Billick would be someone I'd consider as an immediate replacement... as long as he brought an offensive coordinator along with him. These young players need someone who's been there before. They don't need to be second guessing first time head coaches. There needs to be clear direction and leadership in that locker room right now that Todd Haley is not providing. Hell, his first round draft picks are getting into fights with "leaders" in the clubhouse. That shouldn't happen.
    I can't think of much Pioli has done right. We re-signed pre-Pioli draft picks like Hali, Charles, and Flowers. I still like the Cassel/Vrabel trade for only a 2nd. Signing Jones. I like the Lilja signing, and how he signed/re-signed decent special teamers like Copper and McGraw. Getting Weis/Crennel was a masterstroke. Berry was a decent pick (though there were better ones), Asamoah and Moeaki were good ones, and Succop is the best Mr. Irrelevant of all time.

That is it. That is all I can think of. Every other single move he's made is disasterous. Trading Tony G. Cutting Waters, Smith, and Edwards. The 2009 draft. The 2011 draft. Most of the 2010 draft. Refusing to fix the OL. Refusing to get a NT. Drafting Berry at SS where a blind man knew he'd get hurt.

It's been a bad three years. Pioli needs to show something, and quick.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast