Thread: Defensive Coordinator

Default Defensive Coordinator

We've been out scored 8,000 to 6 in the past 5 games. Well it might as well have been that bad. I haven't really seen anybody post lately about Romeo. He had some good years with New England, then failed in Cleveland as a head coach. Badly! But then most people do fail there. He doesn't seem to be doing much here, but for some reason he gets along with Hailey, so he still has a job. Can anybody tell me why??????

To top it all off, he's hired some martial artist to teach our linemen how to react better to hand-to-hand combat. Meanwhile, they're getting here asses handed to them. I do not understand what's going on with this team.

Quote Originally Posted by drstandley31 View Post
    We've been out scored 8,000 to 6 in the past 5 games. Well it might as well have been that bad. I haven't really seen anybody post lately about Romeo. He had some good years with New England, then failed in Cleveland as a head coach. Badly! But then most people do fail there. He doesn't seem to be doing much here, but for some reason he gets along with Hailey, so he still has a job. Can anybody tell me why??????

To top it all off, he's hired some martial artist to teach our linemen how to react better to hand-to-hand combat. Meanwhile, they're getting here asses handed to them. I do not understand what's going on with this team.
    No doubt Romeo has to be included in any tirade about this team.

But he still has his job based on his performance last season, and I think you give a guy who did a good job for a year more than two games before you boot him.

The defense to me wouldn't be nearly as bad if we didn't keep giving teams a short field time and time again. I think if we fix the offense then the D will get better. But when you keep turning the ball over on your own side of the field of course there going to put points on the board. The offense is the major problem for this team. We need to fix that first.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    The defense to me wouldn't be nearly as bad if we didn't keep giving teams a short field time and time again. I think if we fix the offense then the D will get better. But when you keep turning the ball over on your own side of the field of course there going to put points on the board. The offense is the major problem for this team. We need to fix that first.
    It will look better, no doubt about that.

But, it will take more than that to make them look respectable.

You can only place so many of the 89 points on the offense.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    No doubt Romeo has to be included in any tirade about this team.

But he still has his job based on his performance last season, and I think you give a guy who did a good job for a year more than two games before you boot him.
    Well I wasn't really talking about 2 games, I was talking about the past 5. I just haven't seen this D grow. They don't seem to have much drive or anger in them to really punch a team in the mouth. You have to admit, they look pretty bad.

I find it hard to blame Romeo given that:

1. Our GM ditched his starting RDE and NT this offseason;

2. He's forced to start Sabby Piscatelli and Jon McGraw at safety because we failed to sign anything resembling depth at the position; and

3. His squad has played -20 minutes TOP in the past two games - and it would have been worse if Detroit had scored slower.

Romeo has shown that he can get it done. But he can't do it without talent or minimal offensive support.

Well I wasn't really talking about 2 games, I was talking about the past 5. I just haven't seen this D grow. They don't seem to have much drive or anger in them to really punch a team in the mouth. You have to admit, they look pretty bad.
    Well, the playoff game is likely easy to excuse, as our offense gave many opportunities for easy scores.

Then there's the Raider game, but that was a 34-10 game. Not quite bad enough to have brought much attention.

Beyond that, unless you meant to include preseason, the next game back we held The Rams to 13 points and won.

My guess is that the end of 2010 is kept separate from these two games, as the team has changed in a lot of ways since then.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    It will look better, no doubt about that.

But, it will take more than that to make them look respectable.

You can only place so many of the 89 points on the offense.
    Yeah the defense is accountable for many of the points they gave up. But I think the offense being the way it has been this season has put way to much pressure on the D and has left them on the field way to much. I think that if we get the offense going that's going to help the D in a big way so when they do fail like all ds will throught the season on some drives it won't be as much of a killer as it is now.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    Yeah the defense is accountable for many of the points they gave up. But I think the offense being the way it has been this season has put way to much pressure on the D and has left them on the field way to much. I think that if we get the offense going that's going to help the D in a big way so when they do fail like all ds will throught the season on some drives it won't be as much of a killer as it is now.
    The same could be said of the reverse.

If the defense would get their act together and stop forcing our offense to tray and go pass-happy, Etc, etc.

There is no excuse for allowing 89 points in two games. Unless the points are being scored on ST and against your offense, which is not the case.

It is pathetic, just as the number of turnovers, and overall lack of offense has been.

Brandon Flaowers has been the worst CB in The NFL in these two games.

I think this team came into the season just like their fans, c0cky.

I think Todd Haley is responsible for allowing it too.

I think the players took it nice and easy in the preseason, as if they knew they were good enough to skate by without putting fourth the effort.

I think that is what has the offense looking so inept, and the defense just as pathetic.

I think that is why we are seeing so many injuries too.

Large number of fumbles? Penalties? Dropped passes?

I think this team was overconfident, and they were allowed to be lazy.

Maybe I am wrong. I don't claim to know for sure, and nobody in the organization would likely ever admit to it anyway.

But all of the things that happen to an overconfident team have happened to this team.

Lack of FOCUS