Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Please Read! Important Facts To Consider

Default Please Read! Important Facts To Consider

I saw this posted on a FB group. I want you all to read this. This sold me on why we should draft AL if we can:

The last time the Cheifs won a Super Bowl, they were QB'd by a first round draft choice (Len Dawson)

Last year, there were 12 teams in the playoffs. 10 of them had 1st round draft choices starting for them at QB

Last season, the Chiefs were 7-1 VS teams that did NOT have a 1st round draft choice starting at QB. They were 3-6 VS teams that did have a 1st round draft choice at QB. Of those 3 wins, one was against the rookie Sam Bradford, one was against the bust Alex Smith, and one was agianst Philip Rivers at home on Monday night in a downpour.

In their last 4 playoff games, the Chiefs have lost to Joe Flacco, Peyton Manning, Peyton Manning again, and John Elway. all first round draft choices.

In fact, in the ENTIRE playoff history of the team since the merger, the ONLY Playoff win the team has VS. a QB drafted in the first round was against the Raiders and Todd Marinovich.

Last season, the Green Bay Packers won the superbowl AFTER they lost their starting RB and starting TE to season ending injuries early in the season. They also lost signifigant players at other positions to injury and were near the top if not at the top of players missing games due to injury. They had 1st round draft pick, Aaron Rodgers at QB.

The Colts are all healthy except for Peyton Manning.....anyone seen the colts this year yet? The pretty much suck without him.

Since the Merger, there have been 19 QB's drafted 1st overall. Here they are in order:
    1970 Terry Bradshaw
    1971 Jim Plunkett
    1975 Steve Bartkowski
    1983 John Elway
    1987 Vinny Testeverde
    1989 Troy Aikman
    1990 Jeff George
    1993 Drew Bledsoe
    1998 Peyton Manning
    1999 Tim Couch
    2001 Micael Vick
    2002 David Carr
    2003 Carson Palmer
    2004 Eli Manning
    2005 Alex Smith
    2007 JaMarcus Russel
    2009 Matt Stafford
    2010 Sam Bradford
    2011 Cam Newton

Lot's of star power there....and these are just the guys who went no.1 overall.

Matt Cassel went 11-5 for New England in 2008. In the 11 games they won that year, these were the QB's they defeated:
    Damon Huard.
    Brett Favre with the Jets throwing 25 pics
    J.T O'Sullivan starting for the 49ers.
    Jay Cutler during the horrible season that got Mike Shanahan fired
    Marc Bulger of the Rams on a bad Rams team.
    Trent Edwards of the horrible Buffalo Bills TWICE!
    Chad Pennington of the Dolphins...after 2 shoulder surgeries.
    Seneca Wallace....starting for the Seahawks because Hasselbeck was injured weeks before.
    JaMarcus Russel and the Raiders....and
    Curt Warner....during a blizzard where Warner couldn't throw and the Cardinals couldn't run either.

If EVER there was a gravy train to a 67 Million Dollar contract, this was it....taking all those weapons on New England, and having to win 11 games VS that? The 1991 Dave Krieg Cheifs would have won all 11 of those EASY. By the way of their 5 Losses, one was to old Brett Favre, another to Peyton Manning, another to Ben Roethlisberger and another to Phillip Rivers.

Matt Cassel completes less than 60% of his passes. Matt Cassel was last in the NFL in yards per attempt. The Chiefs are limted because they CAN'T throw down field. The Chiefs were 1st in the NFL in rushing last year. They only scored 13 rushing TD's. The Colts were 29th in the NFL in rushing last year. They also only scored 29 rushing TD's. 11 of Matt Cassels 27 TD's were under 10 yards. This suggests that they either couldn't run it in, or they let Matt throw it in to prop up his numbers.

Since 1989 we have used Steve Pelluer, Steve Deberg, Dave Krieg, Joe Montana, Steve Bono, Elvis Grbac, Trent Green(who was good in Vermiels system for sure), Damon Huard, Brody Croyle, Tyler Thigpen and Matt Cassel as our starting QB's

...I could go on and on.....but crunch on these for a while and think about why it might not be a bad idea to want that no.1 pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayvern View Post
    I also have to throw in the offensive line to this equation.

People hammer on Cassel yet they seem to think the offensive line has nothing to do with this. In every game where there is a clear leader on the team, a strong talented player can be ruined by the lacking of the players around them.

In baseball for instance, a very talented pitcher who is backed by a piss poor team will have his confidence shaken and likely end up injured as he tries to overpower all the hitters to keep them from getting hits.

In football, a young quarterback that takes on the leadership role of the team is likely to have issues if that team around him sucks.

I saw someone mention that the jury was still out on Sam Bradford, I think the kid is incredible, his presence on the field instantly made St Louis a better team. His presence alone cannot win games though, as he needs to have other guys around him.

I am absolutely opposed to picking up Andrew Luck in the first round and throwing him to the wolves if it means that he is going to be flattened every play by 300 pound defensive lineman. It will make him worthless in a couple of years and we will still be talking about needing a quarterback.
    If your front office is dumb enough to draft a franchise QB and not protect him, then your front office is too dumb for the team to ever be a contender.

I also have to throw in the offensive line to this equation.

People hammer on Cassel yet they seem to think the offensive line has nothing to do with this. In every game where there is a clear leader on the team, a strong talented player can be ruined by the lacking of the players around them.

In baseball for instance, a very talented pitcher who is backed by a piss poor team will have his confidence shaken and likely end up injured as he tries to overpower all the hitters to keep them from getting hits.

In football, a young quarterback that takes on the leadership role of the team is likely to have issues if that team around him sucks.

I saw someone mention that the jury was still out on Sam Bradford, I think the kid is incredible, his presence on the field instantly made St Louis a better team. His presence alone cannot win games though, as he needs to have other guys around him.

I am absolutely opposed to picking up Andrew Luck in the first round and throwing him to the wolves if it means that he is going to be flattened every play by 300 pound defensive lineman. It will make him worthless in a couple of years and we will still be talking about needing a quarterback.
    I'm absolutely opposed to NOT picking Luck if we can get him. Sit him on the bench and let him learn for a year or two. Quietly gather a few stud lineman and if Cassel is killing it we have a QB to trade away for a bazillion draft picks. If not, guess what we have a stud QB chomping at the bit to play. Either way it's a good problem to have and if Luck is there when we pick we'd be flat stupid to not take him.

When Cassel does have time in the pocket to throw he still SUCKS. Get him out of there and start Stanzi.

I would take Luck in a second if we had the chance. But let's remember, with a good team around him, Cassel won 11 game in New England before we got him. That wasn't "luck". He needs help. But, I'd still take AD in a second. Hell, if for no other reason, Denver CAN'T get him!

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    If your front office is dumb enough to draft a franchise QB and not protect him, then your front office is too dumb for the team to ever be a contender.
    Well there you go, I guess our front office is just that dumb. Cassel was presented as a franchise QB if I am not mistaken.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Well there you go, I guess our front office is just that dumb. Cassel was presented as a franchise QB if I am not mistaken.
    You noticed that too, huh? I am completely amazed at our lack of attention to our OT position. And letting Waters go was criminal. We could have a pretty amazing interior line of Waters/Asamoah/Albert, with Hudson off the bench. We would just need an average set of tackles to back them up. It's just our owner/GM being cheap.

The question is who for sure is behind everything that is going on at Arrowhead? Is it Piolo? Is it Haley? Who cut the players we wanted to keep or should have kept, like waters. Inside the NFL claim Pioli and Haley have been bumping heads since last season. was it Haley that ran weiss off after the very first year? Who has control of this football team? Thats the real question

It was said that Mc D came to KC for the OC job but was not welcome by Haley so McD moved on.....

Quote Originally Posted by okikcfan View Post
    It was said that Mc D came to KC for the OC job but was not welcome by Haley so McD moved on.....
    Sounds about right; Haley hasn't gotten along with any decent OC since he's been here which has, really, been my only knock on him to this point. The fact that he was ticked off at him for the shellacking he laid on us in the last game had everything to do with it I'm sure.
    Last edited by Chiefster; 09-22-2011 at 06:13 AM.

Kiper Jr. just said on sportscenter that KC would be the best fit for Luck. McShay said the dolphins....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast